PSA...guitar wall hanger near tragedy...

JCW308

Supporting Member
OK, so what have we learned?
I’m an idiot because:
I didn’t use anchors
I didn’t use the correct anchors
I didn’t use the correct screw for said anchors
I didn’t use toggle bolts
I’m mounting a hanger on a piece of wood, trusting a screw to hold said hanger
I should’ve painted the boards to match the walls
I’m leaving my guitars out, exposed to UV rays/ earthquake damage / stupid friends who will knock them off or pull them down from the hangers

Did I miss anything?
Nope.

Drew816

OK, so what have we learned?
I’m an idiot because:
I didn’t use anchors
I didn’t use the correct anchors
I didn’t use the correct screw for said anchors
I didn’t use toggle bolts
I’m mounting a hanger on a piece of wood, trusting a screw to hold said hanger
I should’ve painted the boards to match the walls
I’m leaving my guitars out, exposed to UV rays/ earthquake damage / stupid friends who will knock them off or pull them down from the hangers

Did I miss anything?
-Boutique TGP approved pickups
-Cargo shorts
-And you caused the Exxon Valdez accident
-Probably global warming as well, that point remains unproven but it says so on the interwebs so....

I play more when they’re out, I can dust them off, whatever’s...

Thanks again for sharing your story!

RRfireblade

I can only imagine what's got on here after 8 pages, so I can imagine I'm saying what's already been said. But those are the wrong anchors for the job. The hundred pound rating is shear strength. But those type of guitar hangers can easily exert more than a hundred pounds of Leverage. It's the difference between trying to snap off a nail by sharing it laterally versus pulling it out with a claw hammer.

The shear strength of any Fastener could be hundreds of pounds, but a child can pull them out the right size claw hammer. Anyway... I'm sure it's not the first time this mistake has been made so good PSA.

alamere

I hang my guitars because I play them more often when they're right in front of me.. and in the end, they're tools and not collectible antiques..

Also, yeah.. you have to go into studs somehow when hanging them.
Have had the same experience trying to use drywall anchors.

HerrRentz

There is no way I would trust any anchor in drywall for something valuable. If it isn't in the stud it isn't going to hang on my wall.

I have plaster and lath though and I do trust the lath as long as I hit the lath.

Drew816

Has anyone mentioned yet you used the wrong anchors? :mad: :confused: ;)

You are also the reason we all have to wait until 2019 for the final season of Game of Thrones! Add that to the list of what we’ve learned here...

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
For anything of any weight or value I use only toggle bolts. Never had one pull out of drywall or break, and I’ve hung things way heavier than guitars using them - like metal utility shelves with many heavy bottles of liquids on them, or very large monitor stands.

The anchor pulled right out from the wall; look at the pic, the anchor is still attached and yes, I used the screws that came with it.

@tenchijin2 makes a great point, the weight (less than 10lbs) is pulling away from the drywall and not directly ON the drywall.
Not sure if this was addressed in any of the replies yet, but the screws included with the hangers include brick or concrete anchors. They are not suitable for drywall. The instructions state, "Should you wish to fix your hanger onto a hollow wall, or a wall with a non-solid structure such as Drywall, you must consult your local hardware store and check what type of fixings you will need in order to mount the hanger safely and securely."

Those are nice guitars. I'm glad nothing was damaged!

ericb

Silver Supporting Member
If you look at the link I posted earlier to a picture of a zip-it it might make more sense. The drywall anchor part is essentially a large screw with coarse thread. A sheet metal screw then screws into that. It looks to me like the sheet metal screw is still screwed into the wall anchor with the guitar holder between them and the anchor pulled out leaving a large hole in the drywall. I’ve put in hundreds of these anchors, and removed many things mounted to walls with them, so I’ve seen them do exactly what’s pictured. This is what happens when you over torque one of these anchors and they spin freely.

Toggle bolts would be much better for this job.

ONLY Toggle bolts for me! (butterfly toggle bolts.. . whatever you wanna call them) Would never trust regular mollies
Eric