PSA: If you've tried but just don't "get" Frank Zappa

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by micycle, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Don't miss the fairly recent 'Halloween '73' release. Great fun listening to the band working out this material about 6 weeks prior to the Roxy performances.

sahhas and stanshall like this.
  2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yep!

Would also direct the New To Zappa Folks to the great live release with the Big Band Era Zappa “ The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life”. So unsustainably great it was...

Carrion. Arf.

sahhas, MickeyJi and stanshall like this.
  3. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I have never even bothered trying. The first I heard of him was an interview he did years ago. His arrogance turned me off. I can't stand the man. Even when he was dying by his admitted self-induced cancer he was arrogant.

sahhas likes this.
  4. Dexter.Sinister

In what way was his prostate cancer self-induced?

I mean, lung cancer is demonstrably associated with smoking, but what is the connection (none) to prostate cancer?

NB_Terry and sahhas like this.
  5. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

He admitted it was likely his life choices that caused the cancer, so I don't know. I also really don't care if it did or not. It was his arrogance that shone through not any intelligence or humility.

sahhas likes this.
  6. Dexter.Sinister

Frank wasn’t a doctor. Toward the end, he said and did fatalistic things that were not scientifically or medically accurate. He was a musician, after all.

I appreciate your reluctance to sample his vast and interesting catalog. You might suspend judgment of the music while also judging the man. It really is a rich and deeply satisfying ride. But of course you may do as you please.

There was a time when I refused to listen to artists based on their expressed opinions, but as I have grown longer in the tooth, I have become more inclined to simply listen, then judge, the music on its own merits. Likewise art, science, etc.

Peace, DS

speedtaco, lhallam and freedom's door like this.
  7. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Just as I would not invite someone I see have unsavoury views into my home, neither do I want that person expressing his or her feeling through their music that I would bring into my home.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

You saw a kick ass band. Some of those guys are in the new rendition of King Crimson on this summer tour. Adrian Belew who worked with KC in the 80's as well as Bowie & Talking Heads was discovered in a bar in Nashville by Frank.

sahhas and Tony-Cliffton like this.
  9. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I think unsavory views and feeling are two separate things. Wagner had unsavory views, but his music has a range of feeling that, to me, transcend intellectual positions. Of course, you can exclude from your home what you like. For me, I suspect that I might not like a lot of my music heroes so I never made that a criteria.

Buck Private and Dexter.Sinister like this.
  10. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

I have done some sound things with Ike Willis way back when. Killer musicians. Me? I still suck and been working on it a long time. I have other talents, though... thankfully.

lhallam likes this.
  11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

I have a friend who used to be in a band called Project Object, which always included some of the Mothers of Invention... at one point the tour included five of the original Mothers, with Ike Willis and Ray White up front. Ike conducted using Frank's hand signals. After I saw them for the first time, I asked if "the finger" was really a cue, and it was. It had different meanings depending on how Ike did it.

12. lhallam

lhallam Member

I saw them a few years back with Ike. A soprano sax player from the Navy(?) jazz band sat in with them for a tune. He kicked some major butt. I was impressed with the guitarist, he was playing some difficult material.

It is rumored Gail went after those guys and shut them down.

Ike got that middle finger from Frank. IIRC - It meant play a high short note.

Snottyboy likes this.
  13. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

Why, exactly are you on this thread then?

flogstrat and speedtaco like this.
  14. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Because this is a public forum and most of us express our opinions here, just as you have above. I also did. I will respect yours and I hope that you respect mine but that is your decision, not mine.

15. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

In Zappa's book,he describes those signals and the "coded" meanings, like "put the eyebrows" on, or "big balls." Interesting reading.

16. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Amen to that. Music needs to be judged on it's own merit or lack thereof. John Lennon was widely regarded as a symbol of peace and harmony yet he was violent and mistreated women . That certainly would qualify all his music for the landfill by the standard quoted.

17. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Well not all of it. A lot of Frank's stuff was total drivel, while some was brilliant.At his live shows in NYC Frank and the band sometimes sat in the bleachers and let the audience play. However both should be judged on merit not politics or even "arrogance," though I never found him to be arrogant. Zappa's bass player from the early mothers got 30 years for child molestation. Certainly that cannot be a reason to reject the music.

18. Dexter.Sinister

A lot of what truly creative folk produce is drivel, as the process of creating is empirical (albeit also theoretical). That is why I encourage my students to TRY, even when (especially when?) it fails (productively), so long as it points towards..,

Buck Private likes this.
  19. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Oh,totally. That's what teaching is supposed to do. Failures can be a greater learning experience than success. However when I'm paying for a ticket to a show or a recording I expect more than the student experience.

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  20. Dexter.Sinister

Wird. But sometimes the experimental, dangerous, often failing stuff turns up the gems, and being there is special. I track how folks do and ride on the experimental wave when the odds of SOMETHING interesting happening is high enough.

But, sure, yeah.