PSA: IK Pick & Mix Group Buy

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dave Merrill, Aug 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Thanks for that, appreciate it! Then the ARC seems like a bit of a no brainer at this price if anyone is even remotely interested. That is, providing you can get it in your hands and registered before the deadline since it contains a hardware mic and needs to be shipped. Value for the promotion is $199 (according to IKs site) which would cover any of the software offerings as freebies.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARC25--ik-multimedia-arc-2.5-with-mems-microphone

Edit: The price of ARC on IKs promo page dropped from $199 to $149 (which seems odd during the middle of a promo) so that may mean that Lurssen is now excluded from the freebies. But it's still giving you $49 of free promo credit (per freebie) at the current $99 sale price.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

You can try the individual models for free via IK's Custom Shop.

My experience is that those packages sound like what they're supposed to sound like, and reward tweaking and a good interface. I also think the IK cab room is underrated, although a very different experience from individual impulses or mixes thereof.

(To put my opinion in context, I have experience with some other amp models, but not yet with stuff like Fractal, Kemper, Helix, and Neural.)

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  3. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Amplitube 4 is getting a little long in the tooth these days, and it contains within it a number of models that are carried over from the even older Amplitube 3. But IK continues adding new models that are notably improved. So the quality varies a lot.

I'd say that the models carried over from A3 are not the best. The 5150 clone called the Metal Lead V, for example, is pretty lacking. Meanwhile, the newer models like the second Fender collection, the revised Slash collection, and the Mesa stuff are pretty strong.

4. frthib

frthib Member

With all the available awesome IR these days, it's still very relevent. Even with the stock cabs it's good.

I use it more and more. I finally settled on the slash cab with most everything. You can emulate most "modern" IR (with more than 2 mics) with the cab room by choosing a different path (1 amp, 2 cabs). I use 1 cab for the dynamic mics, 1 for the ribbon/condenser. ex : 1 cab dual 57/ 421, the other R121 and C414.

I know amplitube have a certain sound, but so does differents studios.

You can "modernise" the sound by increasing the bass @80hz, dipping the 400khz and increasing 8khz. (also known a the smilies EQ) with the included paraEQ
    It's funny how it can sound similar to much modern ampsim.

bugzapper and PaisleyWookie like this.
  5. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I've always liked the Slash Marshalls (they actually say "Marshall," FWIW). In the past, I used mainly the JCM Slash; lately, I'm more into the AFD.

They're older, but I'd argue that several models in Fender 1, Orange, and Ampeg 1 still hold up well.

6. frthib

frthib Member

I’m in. Orange first, i really like the sound of all if the amps, even the 1x12 cabs.

I’m learning that older can be good.. i like having all of this for the diversity

next is some tape machines, fulltones, tape echo, eqp11a, master match, dimebag and fender 1

7. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Mesa and Fender 2 are great too.

MaxTwang likes this.
  8. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

Here's a video of Amplitube's Orange Tiny Terror model hanging convincingly with the real thing and the AxeFx III. Impressive, IMO

Markdude likes this.
  9. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I'm proud of myself for resisting up to this point. I've almost pulled the trigger a few times as I wouldn't mind having that Axe I/O as a secondary interface to my Helix LT. I've never tried Amplitube, so I'm somewhat curious how it compares to Helix Native. It's a good thing they're not including their new Brian May pack in this promotion or it might have pushed me over the edge.

10. frthib

frthib Member

I'm pleasantly surprised by all of my choices.

Orange's are great. Even if it date back from aplitube 3.5. With the modern cab room the sounds are great. My favorite is the AD30 amp.
    It's crunchy and love to be boosted. Another great is the terror. But they are all good and still sounds great, even if they are a little older. good tech can age gracefully.

The cabs I'm happy to have them but i'm still debating with using external IR or in-the-solution cabs. The key with the external cabs is, with STL tones Libra, the resonance parameter. With amplitube, it needs to be at 100%. It sounds better but it's less practical.

(EDIT : I just remenbered I have CelestionIR Orange cabs. That's it! I'm absolutely going to try that one!! With Libra and it's great resonance parameter)

I got 3 tape machines. I took them on a whim, having heard all my (recording) life about how tape impact sound, getting it warmer, smoother, etc...
    Well... It's true. When amplitube is used in the whole "ik multimedia" chain (with t-rack) it a real professional tool. I easily got sounds that where eluding me for years. They is trully something special happening in those "machines" who makes the sounds very alike a real produced track. Without it, amplitube sounds just like a amp micced through a cheap very clean mixer with all the knobs set a noon. If we check the cab room mini mixer, it's what hinted.

Echo-plex, got it for fun but i remember reading things about the "preamp" of that thing. It's real. The preamp, when overdriven, affects the sound very much. It makes it more "analog" (hate that comparison), it smooths the high end. I like to put it after amplitube to remove the digital fingerprint of the ampsim

pulteq-eq : love it. I used a freebie vst for years but I prefer this one. it's soo simple. bass, high mids, low pass.

With the whole chain, yesterday, i got "amplitube" to sound way TOO analog/warm. I had to tweaks parameters to make it "colder". The most siginificant being echo-plex. If something is sounding brittle, just pass it through echoplex, even with the repeats disabled, and play with in input gain. There is a "hidden" parameter menu behing the logo plate to gain access to biais, warble, and mechanical noises that I haven't even looked at.

What's missing in my "virtual" recording chain is the console. We'll see next time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    xcc, Markdude and MaxTwang like this.
  11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Mesa/Boogie has outstanding Marks and does the thick 70’s/80’s fusion Boogie well, and the Vox in the TA30 is my favorite modeled Vox. I use it on my iPad and Mac.

12. Dave Merrill

OK I'm in. As planned, bought Lurssen for about $112 plus JamPoints, got these free:
    Ampeg SVX 2
    Saturator X
    Tape Machine 24
    Tape Machine 440
    Tape Machine 80
    Tape Machine 99
    Stealth Limiter

If we make it to another freebie, I'll probably take the JCA100H or the Dimebag Collection. I'm not a Dime tone fan, but thanks mostly to previous group buys, I've got most everything else, and I demo'd and didn't care for the JCA100H a long time ago. We'll see.

403 more, only 2 days left. Often these things speed up near the end as people decide not to miss the deal. It is quite a deal.

Markdude likes this.
  13. Dave Merrill

205 left to go, one day left.

14. SymphonicDischord

SymphonicDischord Member

I got in at the cusp of hitting this tier level and am debating on buying another plugin to help push to the final tier and get some more freebies. It’d be pretty wild to end up with a total of 18 plugins for the price of 2.

15. Dave Merrill

How about you buy 148 plugins? So what if you have some dupes?

[/kidding]

16. Dave Merrill

We hit 8 free, we're there.

We'll see if they add any MORE after this.

MojoRisin and Markdude like this.
  17. Dave Merrill

Sheesh. Promotion has been extended through Sept 30th, with new levels added:
    Buy 1 Get 9 Free* when 4500 registrations are reached
    Buy 1 get 10 Free* when 6000 registrations are reached

We're currently at 3685 participants, 8 products free.
    815 more needed for 9 free.

Have at it!
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/pickandmix/

MaxTwang and Markdude like this.
  18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Yeah people need to hurry up; I need the Fulltone pack. :D I got the Slash pack this morning, and also had gotten the Mesa pack which I'm quite happy with.

MaxTwang likes this.
  19. Zalu

Zalu Member

The fulltone pack is great! Got it just for the TERC and SSTE emulation.

20. Dave Merrill

Random negative data point that hopefully doesn't apply to most of you.

I got the tape machines, and I'm glad I did, but my music machine is an old sony laptop, and I can't run even a single instance of any of them along with most other things, I get snaps and pops and cpu overages. I know I need a better machine, but that's not happening for a while.