PSA - JBL 306 mk II 6 inch monitors $119 @ GC

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gurn, May 12, 2019.

1. Gurn

Gurn Member

scolfax and Cb like this.
  2. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Member

I compared both the 306 & 308 mk2 side by side in my home for about a week and you won't be gaining much over the 306 if buying the 308. The 306p mk2 is a steal for that sale price imo.

Gurn and Crowder like this.
  3. Gurn

Gurn Member

So the 8" at Sweetwater sell for the same price as the 5" monitors?

Wow.

4. Calebz

Calebz Member

I bought a set of MK1 308s about 3 months before the MKIIs were announced. Still kinda miffed about that one...lol

At $120 each, I want a set of 306s just because.

Gurn likes this.
  5. Gurn

Gurn Member

I've got the 305's for $109. They're good.

But that is a hell of a price on both the 8 " & the 6 ".
    JBL is going to price every other brand out of the market.

6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

At these prices I can understand why people find them so hard to resist.

But you've got to wonder...if they can sell them at these prices, what's the cost to make and ship them then allow dealers to buy them at wholesale to end up at a final price of $150/speaker when not on sale?

They probably have $30 worth of components and labor in them.

Probably perfectly fine for casual use, but it just makes me think.

I have owned several pieces of JBL P.A. gear, and some has been really useful. Other pieces I had to get into to repair, and there were times when I was amazed how cheap the internal components were.

Gurn likes this.
  7. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Member

If by cheap prices, your questioning the long term durability of the components used, well that is certainly reasonable to question and I've wondered the same.

As far as costs being questionably (scary) low, I would assume JBL can make most of the components in-house which would definitely lower construction costs. If not, they're still owned by Harmon International (a subsidiary of Samsung) so the components would still be made in-house by a company with mass production machine shops and deep pockets.

Regardless of component costs, the JBL 306p and 308p mk2 are very Flat and revealing speakers...no matter their cheap price...and with prices that low, I'm even more impressed.

Though I liked the JBL's, I settled on the Mackie MR624 for their sound...they also look and feel of better quality, and a better/wider soundstage imo. To me, the JBLs had the cheapest looking box construction out of a handful of monitors I tried. When you have all different sets in front of you like I did, the construction quality of the JBL is quite noticeable compared to other brands...but they do have an impressive sound for the $ so I'll suggest them all day long for anyone on a budget.

But I agree, low costs raise many questions about long term heavy usage. But, at the same time, I rarely hear or read about cases where these cheaper monitor's components are failing...

Cb and Gurn like this.
  8. Crowder

Failure isn't my concern. At the advertised prices, they're more or less disposable.

Consistency would be a greater concern. For critical monitoring you at least want the left and right speakers to be well matched, let alone the third one you might have to buy to replace one that fritzes out later.

A lot of people use these and like them, and I'm sure they're great for the price.

The raves always remind me of that guy we've all met, the one who's always saying "I'll put my MIM strat up against anything from the Custom Shop!" It makes me wonder how many Custom Shop strats he's actually played.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  9. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

flipside is : we live in the world of amazingly well-designed loudspeakers where we can legit argue over the merits of this $300/pair model/brand vs. the other(also excellent-sounding) almost the same $dinero priced monitors.

Gurn and Crowder like this.
  10. Gurn

Gurn Member

I have compared them w/ older Mackie 8” monitors & newer CR4 Mackie monitors.
    The JBL tweeters are unique & tend to smooth out highs. That is good & bad.

For example, a high synth string part overwhelmed on the Mackies & sounded smooth
    on the JBL’s. I had to bounce back & forth & use good headphones to finally get it
    smooth on all the monitors.

So JBL’s acclaimed tweeter design may smooth the high-end a bit too much?
    Or else the Mackies were too harsh.

If you are curious, this is a 2-minute song. Listen to the string part during the final minute. It took a lot of mixing.

Be careful of the smooth high-end on the JBL’s.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  11. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

I ended with the 308s since GC didn't have the 306 in stock. They're replacing some nearly 20 year old Yorkville passives.

12. Gurn

Gurn Member

13. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I've had my set of 305's for almost 4 years now and they have been on 99% of that time. I won't say 100% because I remember turning them off maybe 3 times, to go on vacation.

They still sound awesome and I laughed when I read concerns about long-term durability.

14. Crowder

There’s a lot of bad info in that blog post.

Gurn likes this.