PSA: MF and GC are blowing out the Crate PowerBlocks for $100...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kiwi, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Musicians Friend is now selling the Crate PowerBlock at $99.99 (free shipping, no less):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-CPB150-PowerBlock-Stereo-Guitar-Amp?sku=487829

Guitar Center is matching that price. I walked into GC with the MF ad printed out, and their $199 tag price just became $100.

Industry rumor (and anyone is welcome to comment) is that they're blowing out the remaining stocks, because the next version of the PowerBlock will have reverb and effects.

Who knows. Who cares? It's a great backup or portable amp.

And don't turn up your nose at a SS amp. Yeah, I know. I'm a cork-sniffer too. I've played a PowerBlock, and I was really surprised at how good it sounded - and felt. For $100, this is a no-brainer.

=K

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I think Musician's Friend and GC are the same company....

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

thanks for letting me know! I just ordered one for my band...it's gonna ride in the trailer wherever we go.

4. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Thanks for posting the info Kiwi. I've been thinking about getting one of these as a back up. I'll do so now.

BB

5. Kiwi

Had to smile at your handle, BadBack. I know all about those!

Part of the appeal: It puts out 150 watts, sounds really good, weighs less than five pounds - and spares me from having to haul around a 40-lb amp head.

Got yer BadBack,

K

6. Kiwi

Opinions vary as to whether the blow-out is to clear inventory for a later model with reverb and effects, as I'd heard, or whether it's just to get rid of them altogether.

From the Diner:

I wouldn't hold out waiting for an upgrade. Rumor has it that outside of this small circle of enablers the Power Block has been a non starter for Crate. They have been offering promo pricing to dealers for the past several months with few takers. GC/MF probably bought up the remaining stock at substantial savings and are liquidating the remaining inventory. If you want a new one I'd look to get it now rather than wait for the Vapor Ware V.2 model.

7. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

great amp- totally worth $100

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Hanging on to mine for good - it's the perfect backup amp.

9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've read good reviews on these and thought they would be perfect as backups. Thanks for the info.

10. searchin4signal

searchin4signal Member

Has anyone tried it to power a modeller ??
    How is it for using it as an amp for a modeller like the GNX3K or the PODxt Live ?

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

can you use it just as a poweramp? i would like to take a line out of my computer, into one of these, into 2 10" pa wedges so i can actually hear mp3s and drum tracks to practice along with

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Dang, I want one but financially this couldn't have come at a worse time. :mad:

13. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Yes, it has stereo line inputs that you can feed your computer soundcard signal to and then power the 2 cabs. The specs on Crate's site dont exactly look much like a PA or hifi power amp's ( something like 10% THD) so I dont know how it will actually sound in this configuration. If youre not driving it hard, I imagine it will sound fine for this. One of the uses I have in mind is as a nice light 150 watt mono power amp to drive a single wedge in small, coffee house type gigs. We'll see how it works out.

14. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Just ordered mine, it'll be here by midweek.

They're a great deal for $199, a steal at $99.

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

Oh what the hell......I ordered one as well. I needed some accessories (acoustic strings, etc.) so I picked one up while I was on their site. If I hate it, I will send it back.

I would like to try the Cube 60 just for kicks, but have not gotten around to it.

16. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I have to admit, I had my first problem in a rehearsal or live situation ever this week. I had been thinking of selling my Power Block. Now I am going to keep it. I have taken it on gigs when I used my Old Marshall, fearing reliability, and the beauty is the lightweight portability.

It sounds good thru V30s. I also agree it feels good.

I wish I had waited to get mine so cheap like it is now. I am pondering - hmm buy another one? Wait for version 2?

I don't get the impression they are huge sellers. I would hate to see them discontinued. I really think they have changed the whole amp game second only to Line 6.

17. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

Well I could use one last weekend.............Uber was blowing fuses!!!

:puh :puh :puh

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Those folks selling on Ebay have to be PISSED. Their $200 product trying to sell for $150 just dropped $100. Not even worth selling...

19. B Vance

B Vance Member

Not a bad, low weight, cover-all backup in case your #1 goes down. A bud of mine on here got one for just that occasion. I played it over at his house through a 2x12 and a 4x12. Wasn't bad at all. Now they cost half as much as most of our pedals!!

20. KenTone3

KenTone3 Member

Just got back from Guitar Center with my Crate PowerBlock.
    First I phoned and asked if they would match MF’s price of $99.99.
    They said they would.
    I told them that was the "Out-The-Door" MF price since it included free shipping.
    So I asked if they would match that by including the tax within the $99.99.
    Guitar Center said they would do that also.
    When I got there they rang it up at $99.50 as the total.

Anyone know for sure if it’s safe to connect a 4 ohm speaker load into the PowerBlock’s stereo left channel with nothing connected to the stereo right channel?
    (I can’t go into the PowerBlock’s mono channel since it’s rated at 8 ohm).