PSA: Monoprice 15 Watt Combo @ $200

The_Bell

Great little amp, but that was with a mindset that they were almost disposable at the old price when they went on sale. Now, with shipping and tax, I am less tempted (and the cub 12r can be found used for not much more some times).

jeremyjh

I doubt we'll see them at $150 again. I was sad to learn how I'd missed out on that the first time around so I pulled the trigger tonight. At $200 it still seems pretty good to me. Yes if you look used there are other options but not too many with the 15/1 range which really hits the sweet spot for me. You can get a used Peavey Classic 30 for only $300 for example but I just wouldn't be able to play it nearly as much.

The_Bell

I doubt we'll see them at $150 again. I was sad to learn how I'd missed out on that the first time around so I pulled the trigger tonight. At $200 it still seems pretty good to me. Yes if you look used there are other options but not too many with the 15/1 range which really hits the sweet spot for me. You can get a used Peavey Classic 30 for only $300 for example but I just wouldn't be able to play it nearly as much.
Sorry if my post came out wrong. I loved my last one, and played it into the ground.

Rick330man

I get the impression that their prices were low to try to create a little market saturation. They'd sell a few, get the word out and then start bumping the prices up.

A Laney Cub 12R still runs $449. The Monoprice 15 version of the same amp is $249. Unless there is some major quality difference in the components used - and I'm not aware of any - the Monoprice 15 is still a pretty good deal.

The_Bell

You can buy a used Peavey classic 30 For just over $200 with a little patience. And it is 10 times the amplifier Imo.
I have a tweed C50 410, so apples / pears to your comment. With respect to reliability, 100% agree (my MP blew up a month past warranty). As far as gain and crunch, matter of preference - I preferred the MP by far. In general, I avoid new 99.9% of the time, so I am on the same page with you in that regard.

The_Bell

I get the impression that their prices were low to try to create a little market saturation. They'd sell a few, get the word out and then start bumping the prices up.

A Laney Cub 12R still runs $449. The Monoprice 15 version of the same amp is $249. Unless there is some major quality difference in the components used - and I'm not aware of any - the Monoprice 15 is still a pretty good deal.
Good question, I had assumed the Laney might have a better speaker at a minimum.

Jr Deluxe

Now you can get one with a Harley Benton logo on the front. Too bad I already got mine. I paid about $165.00 btw.

jeremyjh

You can buy a used Peavey classic 30 For just over $200 with a little patience. And it is 10 times the amplifier Imo.
I haven't seen one under $300 in the last 8 weeks; and unless it happened to be local I'd be paying a lot more than $25 shipping cost. I agree its a better amp even at $300 - the main advantages are its second channel and much greater clean headroom. But it doesn't have a 1 watt mode and that means I just wouldn't get to hear power tube saturation very often at all and *for me* that is half the point of small tube combos. For someone else it might be completely different.

The_Bell

I haven't seen one under $300 in the last 8 weeks; and unless it happened to be local I'd be paying a lot more than $25 shipping cost. I agree its a better amp even at $300 - the main advantages are its second channel and much greater clean headroom. But it doesn't have a 1 watt mode and that means I just wouldn't get to hear power tube saturation very often at all and *for me* that is half the point of small tube combos. For someone else it might be completely different.
300 is generally the going asking price for those in my area as well.

DonP

Still loving mine. $143 delivered.

I spotted one in Columbus OH CL asking $140

Trending Topics