PSA: Neck Reset Nightmare - Kansas City area

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DrewB, Apr 17, 2016.

1. DrewB

DrewB Member

I post this as a PSA for Kansas City-area folks - consider yourselves warned.

I have a Guild DV-52 that I bought new in February 1998. The action suddenly went south about 6 months after I bought it, so I made a new saddle and played it like that for years. Five weeks ago, I took it in to have the neck reset by "the guy in Kansas City" for neck resets. I called him on day 6 to let him know my phone # had changed from the note I left him in the case, and he said it was done and would be back at the shop where I dropped it off the next morning. The next morning was very overcast, and the lighting in the shop wasn't great. The guitar felt a little funny, which I chalked up to it having just had major surgery. On getting a good look at it at home, I noticed a gap on the bass side at the bottom of the heel about 1/32" wide, and it had lost the sweet sparkle I knew so well. Additionally, the angle was under-set, so the action was higher than it should have been, and there were some notes up the neck on the wound strings that had very odd resonances.

Given the heel gap that should have been taken care of and the under-set neck, I called a friend who is a Roberto-Venn graduate and has done a bunch of neck resets. We had talked about doing the neck reset together so I could learn, but we hadn't been in touch for a couple of years and I didn't know when I'd have the time to do it. As fate would have it, I got kicked to the curb after 25 years two days after dropping the guitar off for the reset, so I would've had the time, but that's another story. Anyway, he looked at the guitar, muttering and shaking his head, then said, "okay, let's fix it." I was all for that, but we soon learned that "the guy in Kansas City" for neck resets had not only botched the aesthetic aspects of the job, but had planted a land mine in the hidden regions of my beloved Guild.

The tongue of the fretboard took a long time to loosen from the top, and steaming the dovetail was accomplishing nothing. We discovered that the fretboard had been sawn-through at the 12th fret (which "the guy in Kansas City" told me he didn't do), so we removed it completely, leaving some of the top of the dovetail tenon on the back of the ebony. We now attempted to steam the dovetail apart without the fretboard in the way, again accomplishing nothing. "What's that black s&^t," my friend said. Long story less-long, "the guy in Kansas City" for neck resets had reattached the neck using epoxy. Many hours later, we gave up trying to remove the neck conventionally and sawed the neck off between the heel and the rim. We now have a heel and dovetail tenon to rebuild, a neck block to mill out and possibly fill and re-rout, and umpteen cosmetic issues to correct. We made a point of heavily photo-documenting what we found as we went along as proof of this guy's treachery. I wonder what he's going to say when I call him and confront him about destroying my guitar. I actually don't care what he says, but nobody I know will ever be taking a guitar to him again - the photos will give them all the information they need to write him off.

If you're in the Kansas City area and need major or minor surgery performed on your guitar by someone who will respect you and your guitar, don't hesitate to contact me. I can tell you who you can trust and who you should avoid, if you haven't already figured out the latter.

NoahL likes this.
  2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Whoa! I thought Titebond 2 or 3 by you description but Epoxy! Never for the dovetail.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Won't he just say you destroyed it?

4. DrewB

DrewB Member

I have the photo documentation to prove he completely filled any negative space in the dovetail with epoxy. He can say whatever he wants. Unless he owns up to doing everything wrong and not communicating any of it to me as he should have, nothing he can say will be of any interest to me. The point is that he knows that I know he did a crap job and used an adhesive that would make any future repair impossible without drastic measures like we're doing.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

PSAs are worthless without identifying the subject of the warning.

7. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

^ And risking a libel suit. I'm not from Kansas City, but if I was, I bet I'd know who we're talking about. Either way, sux.

8. 202dy

202dy Member

The truth, something like a photo essay, is an absolute defense in a libel case.