PSA on a sleeper cheap shred guitar

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
I got one of those Kramer Baretta Specials as a gift from my wife and I was impressed how good these guitars are as a mod platform. I ended up buying 2 more of them and they all sound and play great. I think their price ($179) turns a lot of people off but they are seriously decent guitars with a few upgrades. Right out of the box, they're okay for a beginner I guess. But I changed the hardware, added a good pickup, locking tuners and did some basic fretwork and setup and they're really good now. Look at it as a decent body and neck for $179. I think I ended up having about $300-400 into each one, after all the upgrades, which is STILL a bargain in my book.

Pics:

dNHOQakl.jpg

P3MHNStl.jpg

VIRpH4Jl.jpg

:)

Colamander

Yes I tried a few at a shop - amazing guitars for the money. Great necks, no frills, and nice colours to boot. Glad you're enjoying them - I kept looking for an excuse to buy one, but I have too many guitars and not enough time to play.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
Very serious - deadly serious. Been looking at new Kramers and thinking They've got to have some Gibson in them, got to...I haven't seen any bad reviews, but I haven't seen many reviews of them in general.

Yep. I am a Les Paul player for the most part, so I figure the Kramers would be the easiest choice for a superstrat. And the Baretta Specials even have a mahogany body, which was a selling point for me. Oddly enough the more expensive models have a maple body. Only the cheap one is mahogany. Go figure lol

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
Good news! Great deals for beginners and modders still out there. @guitarbilly74 Do they have a trem? Looks like it... And what is the fretboard radius?
They do have a tremolo and with a basic setup the tremolo is super stable. Funny, a friend of mine was asking about the tremolo earlier today (he was concerned about not having a Floyd) so I made a quick video for him:

As you can see, no issues with the tremolo as long as they're set up correctly.

I think the radius is 14" but don't quote me on that. I will measure it later to be sure.

Last edited:

CanuckChris

I've had a couple of these. Great mod platforms. You can actually install a FR on these quite easily if you have some basic woodworking skills. I did that with the vintage white one I had. For the purple one, I found an Etsy seller that sells Lynch style stripes.

Sold both of them, but they're definitely fun guitars to mod and quite good players.

eIcJ4it.jpg

BfN6kEk.jpg

R3deemed

I got one of those Kramer Baretta Specials as a gift from my wife and I was impressed how good these guitars are as a mod platform. I ended up buying 2 more of them and they all sound and play great. I think their price ($179) turns a lot of people off but they are seriously decent guitars with a few upgrades. Right out of the box, they're okay for a beginner I guess. But I changed the hardware, added a good pickup, locking tuners and did some basic fretwork and setup and they're really good now. Look at it as a decent body and neck for $179. I think I ended up having about $300-400 into each one, after all the upgrades, which is STILL a bargain in my book.

Pics:

dNHOQakl.jpg

P3MHNStl.jpg

VIRpH4Jl.jpg

:)
I’d be sorely tempted if the white one had a mayo fretboard.

Oops: maple fretboard. Phone slipped.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a couple of these. Great mod platforms. You can actually install a FR on these quite easily if you have some basic woodworking skills. I did that with the vintage white one I had. For the purple one, I found an Etsy seller that sells Lynch style stripes.

Sold both of them, but they're definitely fun guitars to mod and quite good players.

eIcJ4it.jpg

BfN6kEk.jpg

My Barreta is now fighting to be my number one and bump my Jackson Soloist...for the money they are hard to beat. I put a FR rail Tail on and it divebombs like crazy and stays in perfect tune.
View attachment 493667
Oh nice!!!!! :):)

Now we're talking!!!!! Love the custom finishes!!!!!!

I thought about putting a different style tremolo on mine but I never had an issue with stabilizing regular strat tremolos, all three guitars are super stable after I set them up.

NSDQRKR

I could have gotten by with a Gotoh trem for half the price...but these rail tails are unreal...I have several Floyd guitars and this thing is just as stable for tuning and dives as good as a locking nut FR...just no Brad Gillis action as it will not flutter. I did put a Tusq nut on it and that may have made the stock trem work.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
I could have gotten by with a Gotoh trem for half the price...but these rail tails are unreal...I have several Floyd guitars and this thing is just as stable for tuning and dives as good as a locking nut FR...just no Brad Gillis action as it will not flutter. I did put a Tusq nut on it and that may have made the stock trem work.
That's good to know. I've been wanting to try the Rail Tail tremolo, maybe I should get one for one of these guitars.

I kept the stock nut, just lubed it with a KY gel/graphite powder mix and it did the trick. But I do want to upgrade it to a TUSQ nut eventually.

I’d be sorely tempted if the white one had a mayo fretboard.

Oops: maple fretboard. Phone slipped.
hahaha it is dinner time so...

Jecht

I’ve also thought about taking the plunge on one if these and modding it. I would like to replace the bridge also, but son’t have the woodworking skills. I was hoping to find a drop in replacement if possible.

NoisyNeighbor

I’ve also thought about taking the plunge on one if these and modding it. I would like to replace the bridge also, but son’t have the woodworking skills. I was hoping to find a drop in replacement if possible.
The Vega trem is supposed to be a real easy switch out. No locking nut needed. Check it on YouTube. Mine can dive really well with the stock trem. Strangely enough. That little thing actually performs amazingly.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I just switched the bridge because I wanted black hardware. But the stock tremolo is fine, just take the time to set it up right and you're good to go.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom