PSA: Stone Grey Distortion now available in USA for $169!

DraggAmps

Maybe I'm a giant newb and everyone knows this already and maybe they've been available at several online dealers for a while now, but as far as I know, they've only been available in Eu so far and themadape seems to be the only online dealer that has them right now. At least it's the only dealer that shows up on Google (as far as I looked)! For all I know, all the stores have them already, but when I saw that themadape.com had them in stock I immediately ordered one (of course, right? What else would any sane person do? And yes, of course I paid extra for Priority shipping. These things can't wait an extra day or two.) and I came straight to TGP to tell all you other guys who almost paid exorbitant prices through thesegoto11 (Europe) but then decided to sit tight, like me. I apologize if it turns out I am a newb, but if not, THEY'RE HERE!!!

By the way, does anyone know if these are based on the BJFE Cliffhanger or the super rare Cliffhanger II?

DraggAmps

Alright, turns out I could only find one other US dealer whom I've never even heard of. Prymaxe, PGS, and Tonefactor don't have them. Also, it seems it is based on the CH2! I've only played the regular Cliffhanger. Anyone played both and/or know the difference? Aren't there only like 2 BJFE CH2's in existence?

succor

Good to hear, cause I went with Priority so that of they ship right away, I should get it Friday.
In case it's worth it to you, MadApe's Ebay listing has free Priority shipping. And thanks for the heads up on this one!

Webfoot

Silver Supporting Member
It will be nice to hear the comparison of the SG against the Fetto. I just need one good dirt pedal.

Bobby D

Alright, turns out I could only find one other US dealer whom I've never even heard of. Prymaxe, PGS, and Tonefactor don't have them. Also, it seems it is based on the CH2! I've only played the regular Cliffhanger. Anyone played both and/or know the difference? Aren't there only like 2 BJFE CH2's in existence?

yes.....i have played and demoed both the original cliffhanger and the cliffhanger II on my youtube channel.

the original cliffhanger did not really do0 much for me -- i thought it was kinda harsh and strident sounding. the FINISH on the pedal(done by donnerbox) was kinda cool.

the CLiffhanger II was a whole new ball game! I fell in love with that one right away, and begged, pleaded, and cajoled Bjorn into giving that circuit to Mad Professor to make the Stone Grey into the MC "CB" line, so it would be affordable.

i really think the Stone Grey will be a "gateway" pedal for a whole new generation of younger players who may have never tried a Mad Professor pedal before.

I honestly think the Stone Grey is the BEST sounding high gain distortion pedal I have ever heard under $200, hands down.

BUY ONE and try it -- if you don't love it -- you can sell it EASILY for nearly the same price you paid for it.

the STONE GREY is an amazing sounding, very articulate and gainy pedal that will really resonate with modern rockers, 7 string players, downtuned metal guys, and many other players.

it ALSO sounds good with the gain all the way down - it becomes almost like a really heavy treble booster pedal -- like a red rooster on steroids!

i have plenty of clips of the new Stone Grey on my youtube - check them out!

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
The SGD IS based on the Cliffhanger 2 which is the Cliffhanger 1 with a treble control

tri99er

Very tempted by the Stone Grey, will most likely get it to give it a whirl cause I love me some high gain.

Bobby D

It will be nice to hear the comparison of the SG against the Fetto. I just need one good dirt pedal.
i wish i had a Fetto here, it would be a GREAT head to head demo......

the Fetto is a bit more "classic"sounding to my ears, where the Stone Grey is a bit more modern rock

the Stone Grey is like Porcupine Tree, and the FEtto is more like Scorpions

BOTH are great pedals

but the Stone grey has the edge on price and availability :YinYang

DraggAmps

Thanks for the info Bobby, and everyone else! Based on the demo's and my experience with the Cliffhanger a pretty long while ago, it's much more of modern high gain machine than the Fetto. The Fetto is much more of an overdrive to me, with the ability to get pretty gainy but not heavy palm mute style. I didn't get the Stone Grey to compete with my Fetto's (although I'll be happy to do a comparison review and demo of their tones where they meet in the middle) I got it more to see how it stacks up against my Openhaus and the OKKO Dominator. I'm hoping I can do real hard rock to metal with it.

Bobby D

Thanks for the info Bobby, and everyone else! Based on the demo's and my experience with the Cliffhanger a pretty long while ago, it's much more of modern high gain machine than the Fetto. The Fetto is much more of an overdrive to me, with the ability to get pretty gainy but not heavy palm mute style. I didn't get the Stone Grey to compete with my Fetto's (although I'll be happy to do a comparison review and demo of their tones where they meet in the middle) I got it more to see how it stacks up against my Openhaus and the OKKO Dominator. I'm hoping I can do real hard rock to metal with it.
i think you will be REALLY happy.

my amp tech George Scholz has some very good EARS, and i trust his impressions on pedals.

we had a Baby Blue Overdrive, and custom shop Model R, and the Stone Grey.

George's favorite??? the STONE GREY by a mile.......he liked the Model R, and did not like the Baby Blue very much at all - he laughed when I told him how much they well for on ebay :YinYang

the Stone Grey, at $169 street price, is a total WINNER :drool

succor

Bobby D (and others!), my only prior reference point for a 'High-Gain' pedal has been the Suhr Riot. I think I already know the answer, but do you feel the Stone Grey brings something new to the table?

BiNGEaNiNjA

Rogue Guitar Shop has these pedals. I buy from them often and the owner Jon and his wife run a tight ship.

Bobby D

yes.......i am sure Kayzer will get one soon and do some demos.

there are maybe 6-8 CLiffhanger II's that exist.

but DO NOT fret about that - the Stone Grey is 95% the same tonally as the CHII -- leave the CHII to the collectors :YinYang

Bigdrive501

AHHHHHH GAS.......I read this thread early this morning and I held out till early afternoon.......but alas the GAS won again. I order it from themadape,hope to have it this week...this was the video that pushed me over the edge

Craig

Trending Topics