• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PSA: Supro Jupiter on sale at Sweetwater

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all,

Just was checking out some stuff at Sweetwater, and saw they are selling the Supro Jupiter for $899 on special.

I picked up a Supro Titan during the Black Friday sale for $799, and am really digging it.

These new Supro amps seem to be decent.

Just in case anybody was waiting for a decent price....this seems like a good deal to me

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm surprised how little talk there is on this amp.
Oh well...
About to go play one to see for myself. That's 100 X better than "talk" anyway.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Went by my local GC, they didn't have the Jupiter, but they did have the Saturn. Same control layout I believe. Grabbed a Strat for the rest run.

Nice amp, neat look, great low-end, but the highs don't sit well with me. They are a bit thin and/or brittle for my taste. Couldn't dial it out.
Don't get me wrong, I can tell there are some very sweet vintage / classic tones in there, just not my style...

BTW, my "test" sounded very much like the video reviews. Seems what you hear is what you get, so don't expect to tweak it much.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
I ordered...Supro was what I was hoping for when I got my '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb but I just couldn't swing the price difference at the time. Seeing them on sale, and with their financing, I could check it out and have time to sell the Deluxe and basically break even if it worked out.

Took delivery yesterday after it sat about a mile away at the UPS facility over the long holiday weekend. That was a true test of patience!

Plugged in...no signal. I could hear faint white noise through the speaker, though, so I fiddled with the cable. At a certain angle, with pressure on the plug, it worked. But I couldn't let go or it would cut out.

Known-good cable...just gigged with it last weekend. But I swapped it out anyway- with several others (also all known-good, as confirmed by plugging them all in to the Deluxe). Shoddy jack.

Oh well. No big deal. Called Sweetwater, they sent a replacement and a label to return the other. Got it today. Same issue.

Called Sweetwater but was on hold for 20 minutes and had to get back to work. Called Supro and had to leave a message with them, too. Waiting for a response from Sweetwater. I don't know how many they have, and how many they're willing to send without testing it there first. They're opening the cartons though (or maybe they were previously returned from other buyers? The first one had a to of fingerprints on the control panel.) Somewhere on here there are posts about me never buying from Sweetwater again. Saving $700 was enough to lure me back in, but it's been a hassle and still isn't resolved. :( I know it was on sale, but a $1,600 amp should fail like this. Ugh.

Last edited:

Bertiman

I ordered...Supro was what I was hoping for when I got my '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb but I just couldn't swing the price difference at the time. Seeing them on sale, and with their financing, I could check it out and have time to sell the Deluxe and basically break even if it worked out.

Took delivery yesterday after it sat at about a mile away at the UPS facility over the long holiday weekend. That was a true test of patience!

Plugged in...no signal. I could hear faint white noise through the speaker, though, so I fiddled with the cable. At a certain angle, with pressure on the plug, it worked. But I couldn't let go or it would cut out.

Known-good cable...just gigged with it last weekend. But I swapped it out anyway- with several others (also all known-good, as confirmed by plugging them all in to the Deluxe). Shoddy jack.

Oh well. No big deal. Called Sweetwater, they sent a replacement and a label to return the other. Got it today. Same issue.

Called Sweetwater but was on hold for 20 minutes and had to get back to work. Called Supro and had to leave a message with them, too. Waiting for a response from Sweetwater. I don't know how many they have, and how many they're willing to send without testing it there first. They're opening the cartons though (or maybe they were previously returned from other buyers? The first one had a to of fingerprints on the control panel.) Somewhere on here there are posts about me never buying from Sweetwater again. Saving $700 was enough to lure me back in, but it's been a hassle and still isn't resolved. :( I know it was on sale, but a $1,600 amp should fail like this. Ugh.
That sucks @$$. Hope it all works out well for you!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, that's not good! The Titan I got was fine out of the box, technically "used" but dead mint. It sounds like they got a bad batch of input jacks-a fairly easy fix if you're up for it, likely just need to bend the tabs "in" towards the center. To do it you've got to disassemble the amp a little (take off the back panel and probably the tube cage).

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
That sucks @$$. Hope it all works out well for you!
They've been very agreeable, it's just that, "if I were them", I would've checked the second one before sending it out. It had already been opened and wouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes. Now they're out on shipping four ways plus at least one more to get a new one out to me again.

Wow, that's not good! The Titan I got was fine out of the box, technically "used" but dead mint. It sounds like they got a bad batch of input jacks-a fairly easy fix if you're up for it, likely just need to bend the tabs "in" towards the center. To do it you've got to disassemble the amp a little (take off the back panel and probably the tube cage).
As long as it isn't an enclosed jack. I also don't want to do anything that would allow Sweetwater to refuse the return. Taking off the back panel would certainly do that, knowing my luck.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I definitely talk to my rep before I did that...
Sweetwater tech support is going to grab another from the warehouse and test it before shipping it. Keep trying if that's no good. I'll have a solid one on Friday. Works for me. Will post again after I've been able to play through it for a while.

Last edited:

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
Third one is a bummer, too. Input jack is fine, but there is tube rattle when powering up (just turning power on...still in standby) and there's a background hum when taking it out of standby...even with nothing plugged in and the volume and all other controls all the way down. Will contact Supro. Ugh.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
So frustrating. Really wanted to love this. Still do, but if Supro directly can't make good, I'll have no choice but to stop trying to find a fully functional one and demand a refund. It's defective, more than just a jack, and is the third lemon in a row. Honestly just glad I didn't pay full price. A $900 amp should work. But a $1500 amp should work AND stand out a bit. I trust the demos I've heard, and the people who produced them, but they apparently got the only good ones?

Last edited:

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
Let me help you. Mine came can yesterday. It's flawless and awesomeness in tone. Highly recommend you grab one.
From Sweetwater? Are you experiencing any sort of noise at all when you turn the power switch on? And any hum when you take it out of standby? Thanks!

ricnvox

Gold Supporting Member
Third one is a bummer, too. Input jack is fine, but there is tube rattle when powering up (just turning power on...still in standby) and there's a background hum when taking it out of standby...even with nothing plugged in and the volume and all other controls all the way down. Will contact Supro. Ugh.
I got one too, but from Musicians Friend. Same issues: Tube rattle, and hum, but neither is enough to bother me, and I have time to return it. Another quirk is the power selector switch, as it has four positions, but there are only three values (35/45/60W). It seems that the two center positions are the same. Weird, almost as if Supro is into reproducing quirkiness of vintage amps.

As for how it sounds, I like it. I have the Titan as well, and they sound similar, but the Jupiter is fuller and a bit louder, as can be expected with a larger cabinet and speaker. However, it seems to break up earlier than the Titan, but tube selection could be the cause.

Mine is S/N 00059, possibly part of an early run, so maybe the issues have been addressed.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
From Sweetwater? Are you experiencing any sort of noise at all when you turn the power switch on? And any hum when you take it out of standby? Thanks!
Yes from SW. I played it loud for 4 hours last night (gotta break in that speaker asap). No hums or rattling. Guess I am lucky. Maybe they looked it over first IDK.

It's a very good amp. Better than I expected. Hope you sort your amp out.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
I got one too, but from Musicians Friend. Same issues: Tube rattle, and hum, but neither is enough to bother me, and I have time to return it. Another quirk is the power selector switch, as it has four positions, but there are only three values (35/45/60W). It seems that the two center positions are the same. Weird, almost as if Supro is into reproducing quirkiness of vintage amps.

As for how it sounds, I like it. I have the Titan as well, and they sound similar, but the Jupiter is fuller and a bit louder, as can be expected with a larger cabinet and speaker. However, it seems to break up earlier than the Titan, but tube selection could be the cause.

Mine is S/N 00059, possibly part of an early run, so maybe the issues have been addressed.
Mine is 368. Eek...that 4-position 3-way switch. Uh...

One other thing I discovered...the first two didn't make any pops when I changed power settings. This one does. Should probably power down before switching modes, but I haven't been and the first two did so silently.

Yes from SW. I played it loud for 4 hours last night (gotta break in that speaker asap). No hums or rattling. Guess I am lucky. Maybe they looked it over first IDK.

It's a very good amp. Better than I expected. Hope you sort your amp out.
They tested mine, but specifically to rule out any input jack issues because the first two they sent kept cutting out. Maybe mechanical and a simple fix, but I wasn't willing to open them up and risk voiding the warranty. Or, worse, if it was a bad solder joint or faulty wiring, I didn't want it to require replacing the jack altogether. It's a new amp. It should work.

Anyway, the input jack on this third one works...and the amp sounds great so far (late...couldn't turn up). But the rattle when powering up is highly discomforting and the hum when taking it out of standby is just not right. I'm certain because the first two didn't have either issues. And your testimonial reinforces that.

I suddenly have a strong "desire" to listen to "Rattle and Hum" now. :rimshot

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom