PSA: Supro Westbury

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Adagietto, Nov 24, 2017.

1. shaps6

shaps6 Member

Well, that’s just heartwarming. Glad you’re getting your guitar, man! My opinion remains that it’s DEFINITELY worth the $350. It just feels like a super solid guitar, and it really does sound great.

SgMaster and SG_Seth like this.
  2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Joe, is there any sort of "conversion" from roundwounds to flatwound? If I play 10-46 in a roundwound set, do you size up to 11-50 or anything like that?

Thanks!

3. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Welcome aboard! Hope the DeoxIT sorts things out for you. I suspect a lot of us may be swapping that switch out, sooner or later.

aFriendbFrosty likes this.
  4. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Does it seem that a good portion of the guitars arriving with issues are coming from Alto?

5. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Member

It seems that way. I got my second one from Sam Ash, it was Mint, as new. All the switches, knobs worked great. The three way toggle will get replaced soon, just because it’s not that quality of a part.

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

And they're all blue ones as well. FWIW, my blue Westbury from Alto was perfect. However, I was probably one of the first ones to order it, actually when the price was $400 (Alto gave me an additional $50 store credit when I contacted them after they dropped the price). Most of the issues have been minor though considering the price.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Cool looking guitars. Any news on any of their other models getting blown out?

8. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

9. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

Not really — .011 are just the commonest gauge. However, Pyramid makes a .010 set. It's a little slinky for me, but it might be a good gateway drug. The conventional wisdom is, flats are duller and harder to bend. The truth was more nuanced — you can't bend as high, but quality nickel has a real nice, comfy tension. And while the bass strings probably will seem dull, listen back to a few recordings before you judge. Ironically, the relative lack of clangorous overtones on the bass strings can make the treble screams scream. And don't forget to try with distortion! :)

aFriendbFrosty likes this.
  10. SgMaster

SgMaster Supporting Member

Aside from the minor issues mine has I now realize the back of the body has a wide area that's not glossy. Very hard to see but very easy to feel. Like it was laid down on paper or a table or something before the finish fully set. I can probably just get buffed out but I don't have any cleaner or clothes except at my practice space. Anyone else have that issue?

11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Mine was from Alto and was perfect. Mine is being re-strung and setup now.

Thanks Joe for yet another great recommendation.

Adagietto likes this.
  12. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Shoulda figured there would be a thread about this. I was at my local Sam Ash yesterday killing time before work, and I saw a pair of Supro Westbury guitars by the front door tagged at $369. I played one of these when they first came out and remember being decently impressed with almost everything about them except the price point, so I played it for a while and then went home and slept on it. I bought a Bronze Metallic one this morning and it's a really fantastic guitar for the price. I guess I missed out on a case deal, but I'm fine with that - had a nice spare bag at home already so it's cool. It may not feel to me like a $1000 guitar, but it certainly punches above the $370 weight class, so I'm very pleased.

Adagietto, Flatscan and downburst82 like this.
  13. sleep

sleep Member

Mine arrived with the same problem (except it was the neck pickup), but toggling the switch a few times cleared it up. I haven't had that problem since.

14. shaps6

shaps6 Member

I got mine from Alto. Aside from a few minor issues (switch feels meh, some gunk on the frets--but not where they make contact on the strings--that can probably be cleaned off), it's pretty killer. Also, people routinely pay for modern Gibsons that have the exact same issues and then sing those guitars' praises. I'd actually put this guitar up against your average modern Gibson LP studio or SG standard.

15. shaps6

shaps6 Member

Got my shipping confirmation for my Supro case. I think I'm more excited about the free case than the guitar itself. I mean...FREE STUFF!!!!!!!

JeffHaddad likes this.
  16. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

17. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

18. ixnay

ixnay Member

19. adamagain

adamagain Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine nearly one week. It was new with no issues but that switch does feel cheapish. However, the switch is functioning perfectly. Free case arrived an hour ago!

Adagietto likes this.
  20. ixnay

ixnay Member

My Westbury came from and it was in an unopened box with no issues at all.

My Jamesport from Alto just arrived in the exact same condition.

CBHTele, Flatscan and Adagietto like this.