PSA: Supro Westbury

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Adagietto, Nov 24, 2017.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Member

Getting it the way you want it, is NEVER OVERKILL!

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

I'm looking to do this with my extra set of Supro gold foils. What did you replace them with and where did you get them?

3. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

My understanding is that the "S" keeps the foil in place. Will the foil come out if the S is removed?

4. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

That was my initial concern with my luthier but the open format pickup rings do the trick all the same. No issues on my end so far.

MikeSRC likes this.
  5. Flatscan

Awesome - how long have you had the open format pickup rings in your Westbury?

[I'm still very much digging my Westbury.]

6. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I love the "S" but my initials are "SS" so that isn't surprising. Despite liking the guitar generally, I ended up trading mine straight up for a Godin Empire, which is a similar concept but is a superior guitar in terms of build quality.

7. Flatscan

I would have traded you straight up too [sorry].

HERSCHEL likes this.
  8. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

The Godin Empire seems like a cool guitar, will keep an eye out for it locally. The short scale, bolt-on neck, P-90-like pickups (depending on model), and wrap-tail are notable differences compared to the Westbury. They are different from things that I particularly like about the Westbury. OTOH, a Junior Special or similar is on my list. I had a '99 Special a few years ago and let it go and have had seller's remorse.

9. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

Flatscan likes this.
  10. blackspider57

blackspider57 Member

Picky me.
    It really is a great guitar,
    it just was not right for me.
    So back it went.

11. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

Maybe a month. I had to take it back to the tech which takes like 2 weeks bc of the chrome pickup rings getting swapped for black and new screws. All of my screws got replaced cuz they had started rusting (pickguard, pickup rings etc). I have a few hrs play time with the open format covers. They still cover enough of the corners and are rounded enough you don't hit the "foil" when playing. The foil has some marks from the old "S" covers but its subtle. I would like better "foil" but not worth getting that picky about it.

I'll get a photo in here sometime soon

Flatscan likes this.
  12. Flatscan

@SgMaster please post a picture. Those Rhoney's do look cool!

Please keep us posted too per the rings/foil issue. I would really like to make that mod.

My switch is gimpy so I'll likely change that out too.

The pups are gorgeous and I love how the guitar plays stock.

Did the tone of guitar change materially when you went with the Mastery?

13. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

I would say do the mod since it's cheap and easy to reverse. Just have to unsolder the old covers and re-solder the new ones.

Will get a pic up soon!

My tech usually uses Switchcraft switches and said they changed them and are garbage now (he was using on his $2500+ boutique builds and stopped along with his other builder friends) and kept the original but it definitely doesn't seem to be an amazing switch so will switch it out when we get a good better solution

Flatscan likes this.
  14. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Is that a haiku?

Flatscan and SgMaster like this.
  15. blackspider57

blackspider57 Member

I had to look it up :)
    No, I am not that clever.

16. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

Flatscan and megawzrd like this.
  17. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see if the new covers affect noise performance. From the Supro link that you provided:

Like all Supro single coil designs, the entire baseplate and cover of the pickup is magnetized, providing ultra-low-noise performance from a single coil pickup.

Flatscan likes this.
  18. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

Popped one of the "S" covers off. The gold foil is stuck to an equal sized piece of cardboard, which gives it the rigidity necessary to hold its shape and position in the open frame. It just lays on top of the field coil. The new covers should offer the same noise performance as the USA ones, since they're the same shape and metal.

SgMaster likes this.
  19. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

I finally got the photos uploaded. Here's my Westbury modded with bone nut, locking Gotoh tuners, emerson pots, upgrdaded caps, wires, output jack. I had it routed for Mastery vibrato and had new pickup covers put on to get rid of the "S." The final thing will maybe be an ABR-1 but it's good for now with 11s. The volume know is a bit in the way of playing as others have stated so maybe will get a custom guard made and move the volume lower.