Pseudo-chroming pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I know it's cheap, but I found some heavey duty chrome tape at a film set I was working on....
    This is my second attempt - i stripped the first because i wasn't happy with the bubbling. getting better!
    Quite durable stuff and certainly eye catching enough.

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one has a glowhoof LED TB system where the entire bottom glows red when it's active, and due to the reflective nature of the chrome tape, so does the space between the treadle and the base!!! (will post pics later.)
    still need to trim those lumpy corners and the spaces around the jacks.

2. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

is there any way you could post some instructions for how to install the LED? I really think that's one of the coolest pedalboard ideas i've seen & I'd love to try it. What did you use for the bottom of the pedal?

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Certainly, it's the easiest and most simple mod in history, also the most visually effective.(not to mention cheap as hell)
    I've run a thread on it before but can't remember where, here's a summary.

Simply cut out the base shape of the pedal accordingly from 6-10mm plexiglass (leave the protective film on!!!)
    [​IMG]

Drill holes where the screws are to be held:
    [​IMG]
    Drill some 6mm.Add 2 high power LEDS (4.5volts)
    [​IMG]

remember to file down the tops of the LEDs so the light doesn't come out of the top as much as out of the sides.

This is the bottom plate for the wah without the base plate on it (I don't need it - it's easier to attatch velcro to the plexi and have done with it!)
    [​IMG]

here's a plate for Boss pedals too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and on a board:
    [​IMG]

With BOSS style pedals you need to remove the pulldown resistor to get the original LED + the glowhoof LED working. You can also put the original base plate back on, you just need longer screws!!!

simple as that.

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

and here's the wah (only one LED though, run out again!!):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

The chrome tape thing is pretty cool, but that LED / plexiglass thing is just WOW. What a cool idea.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Would be great if we could have a glowhoofing thread containing info on treating/cutting different types of plexi, LED wiring for series/parralel plus the basics about the additional burden on the power supply, which resistor to cut out etc - I can't remember anything from my electronics lessons some 20 years ago.... and am too embaressed to ask on TGP:hide

Anyone up for it before I start another worthless thread????

7. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

lookin good

has idol started yet or it is got talent?? if it has pm me with links to go watch it!!

Aj

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Got talent's kicked off, got a year off from Idol. (thank gods), that's part of the reason behind coming up with cool mods, at least i might get my board on TV this time!!!!!!