Psionic Audio 3.14

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aquadog, Oct 20, 2008.

1. aquadog

aquadog Member

Anyone have one of these? It looks like a pretty awesome pedal. How are you using it and what type of tones are you getting?

2. andersdc

andersdc Member

3. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Member

Noticed this weekend that the Psionic Audio website is down, which is a bummer cause I wanted to check out those sound clips again.

Based on the name, I'm guessing this is a Big Muff Pi clone, but my recollection from listening to those sound clips earlier was that this is a pretty diverse pedal.

Can one get Hendrixy/Pagey (Zep I-III) tones out of this pedal? And is it still available?

The 3.14 had been on my fuzz pedal short list, but lately I've been leaning more toward the Throbak Stone Bender. Any similarities at all between the 3.14 and the Stone Bender or are they entirely different beasts? I'm new to fuzzes.

4. andersdc

andersdc Member

It walks towards Fuzz Face territory, but IMO never really gets there. It has its own sonic character that always shines through.
    The cleanup with the guitar pot is as well not similar to a Fuzz Face, that usually very sudden drops in the amount of drive.
    On this pedal, the cleanup happens more gradually, and there is no brightening on the clean sound, as a fuzz face will give.

I would say its an extremely versatile big-muff fuzz, but it cant really get the Fuzz Face sound. But David Guilmour, Smashing Pumpkins, Fripp, etc, -sounds are definatly there.

EDIT: In contrary to the original big muff, the gain control is much more usable. The tone-stack can be switched between a rams-head style, and a more modern version with more mids.
    The clipping is done by either si+si or si+ge diodes.
    Generally this pedal takes big muff sounds where theyve never been before.

FYI: The builder, Lyle Caldwell intentionally took the website down to catch up with orders.

5. beej

beej Supporting Member

On the list, waiting for mine to be finished.

The samples on the site were/are excellent.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I have one, love it, and am using it for fuzz! :p
    You can do a search for 'Psionic' and you'll find threads where I and others have talked about it in a lot more detail. I'm too lazy to retype ;)

-Ben

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I had one, waited a LOOOOONG time for it, sold it. I thought it sounded like crap, harsh and fake. I couldn't get it to sound anything like the sound clips. But Ben seems to love his. Guess you just got to try one.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Ha! I know! We totally heard this pedal on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. So there ya go - give it a spin and see if you dig it.

[​IMG]

-Ben

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  9. jamison162

Of course I will add that at one point Lyle threatened to "not spit in mine" because I raised the issue on TGP about having to wait so long for the pedal and being ignored a few times. So he couldn't given me a crap pedal that sounded bad on purpose. Guess we'll never know, but I don't miss it. I beleive I deleted that thread a while back, it was rather long and well, you know how those things go.

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I tried to inquire and order one awhile back, and after a few emails, I gave up trying.

11. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

I got one back before he started offering them on his web site and had just developed his pcb. I will never ever get rid of mine. It is one of the most versatile muff pedals I have ever used and I love it.

At its core, it is a ram's head muff with the vintage mid-scoop ram's head tone stack and a switch that adds a modern flat-mids option. The other option is the clipping switch that switches from the silicon transistors to germanium. This option nice germanium fuzz and overdrive.
    Added to all of this is an improved grounding scheme that makes it very low in noise.

I do not know when he will be taking orders again so you may have to find a used one. This is the only thread anywhere I have ever heard of someone getting rid of one, so it may not be too easy to find a used one.
    Good Luck.

12. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Ronsound hairpie. ;)

Nuff said...

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Huh!? The original post was titled Psionic Audio 3.14 and said this :

What does just mentioning the name of a different clone of the same pedal have to do with any of this other than telling us that you like that muff with no explanation of why, no claim to have tried the pedal in question, and no attempt to provide any insight into anything related to anything here?

"Nuff said..." you said nothing.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

15. aquadog

aquadog Member

Awesome!

didn't lyle have an overdrive pedal that he was making too?

16. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I am very impressed with mine. I think it is a step more aggressive that your typical fuzz at least that is how I like mine adjusted. The thing will sustain indefinitely if that is what you want. Great for Floyd tone not Jimi. Nice boost in the volume too which some fuzz can't do, so it works well for the fuzz solo when you need a volume boost as well. And this is into a pegged JTM45.

17. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

My website will be back up this week and I will be accepting orders again.

Jamison, your pedal was exactly like all the others. The clips were done straight into a Blankenship Variplex set clean. Like all Big Muff variants, how the pedal sounds depends a great deal on the amp. It's not an ideal match for, say, a Fender Twin Reverb. Everyone else who has gotten one has loved it. Sorry that wasn't the case for you.

18. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I am bumping this thread. I want a 3:14 to alternate on/off my board with my Hartman BC-108 silicon fuzz. The 2 pedals are the same size so it would be an easy swap. I cannot locate Lyle to order one though.

19. jamison162

Such is life. If I liked every od/fuzz pedal I've purchased, I'de have 100 of them. Hahahahah!