Psionic Audio Triad clip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Madsman, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Madsman

Madsman Member

http://www.chrisptacek.com/triad_into_flexi.mp3

Lots of grease via the TonePort (reverb and delay) so I know you guys already hate it.

Starts off straight Flexi, then Triad on, then Triad boost, and then back to regular Triad. This is a hell of a musical pedal...

This is not a "playing demonstration" clip... I know it's not mind blowing playing. But I know some of you like to hear a little lead guitar in pedal clips, and Lyle already has a ton of non-lead clips online. I am really impressed with this product. Could I keep it on all the time? Not in the bands I play in, but I can surely dig using this sort of sound at times.

This is my little unpaid advertisement for PsionicAudio. I expect my free t-shirt in the mail someday when you make t-shirts. By then you better plan on it being XXL, cuz I ain't gettin' any smaller.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Very nice demo Madsman your tone is great and even greater once the boost kicked in, thanks for sharing!

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

Thanks, dude! I think this pedal is going to be a very big deal. I have no stake in the company (it's a one man show, and I'm too broke to have a stake in anything... barely my house or marriage! :) ) or anything, but I think it deserves some attention, as IMO it's a great thing when someone is designing products to fill a need, instead of just making another clone. Not to knock clones or anything... my favorite OD is a clone. :) But anyway, this thing is fun, and I think it would work beautifully with most of the amp rigs I read about on this board... the non-ultra high gain setups... all the clipping low wattage tube amps... and the just breaking up Marshalls etc. This is just a PSA. Sooner or later the pedal will get noticed and either someone will put a hit out on Lyle and we'll never hear from him again, or he's going to end up working 8 hours a day putting these things together on a 6 month backorder. :)

4. scottl

scottl Member

Sweet Chris! Loved it dude! Had a bit of EJ/CV influence at times.... Sounding great bro!!!!

I'll have to check out the Psionic site. Thanks!

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Sounds good... I never had all of the Phish records but have met Trey several times and saw his most recent tour at the Ryman, you have a great clean touch and arpeggio/run technique that is tasteful and zippy! I'm a fan! I'm going to play a bit after work along with this clip, mainly because it sounds different than the noodling I usually do, but I love playing little arp/chordal melodies interspersed with blues licks and such... NICE! Definitely a more-than-solid player...

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

Actually, there's a huge Scott Lerner influence, though I can't play like the dude. Between him and my last guitar teacher (wow 7 or 8 years ago already) I managed to start the slow escape of the reign of ascending and descending scales. Steve, if you want some of the arpeggio ideas that my sort of wankery derrives from, I'm a guitar teacher, so I've transcribed tons of them for powertab. Drop me a PM and they're yours.

That Flexi is probably going to be the amp I give my non-existant kid when he/she starts a band. It's going nowhere. That amp + that pedal eliminates so much tonal guesswork.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Chris,
    Thanks very much. I'm a player, not a businessman, so it means a lot to me when fellow players dig the Triad. I don't want to spam the board, and I will be circumspect in responding to posts about the Triad, but I really appreciate the reception it's gotten.

Lyle

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

That was exactly what I look for in a clip. I need to hear what happens when the player pauses and lets the notes hang. Do they blossom or do they die out? I need to hear what happens when a couple notes are in close quarters - does it stay defined or does it get mushy? The clip makes me want to check out this pedal.

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

Cool. I have read a big backlash about clips that are always lead playing, and read that a lot of guys around here would rather have a couple notes, and a couple of chords, but for those of us who do care about guitar nerd playing, those kinds of clips don't demonstrate enough of what's going to happen when you pick faster, or slide, or do some hammers and pulls etc. The characteristics of the how the gear reacts to the playing. All of the Psionic clips demonstrate a good idea of how it sounds for rhythm work, so I just skipped that altogether. Preamp on, sounds great for big classic rock chords etc. Boost on, not-so-much. But that should be expected. I don't think this thing will replace your ODs... that's what makes it so evil, because you still want your Bjorns and your MIs etc with it. But it's a sound that I like the idea of having access to. :)

10. threm

threm Member

Due to PC problems I cannot listen to the clips.

I`m wondering how the Triad as a booster compares to the Durham Sex Drive?
    I haven`t heard any of the pedals myself.

Anyone?

11. Madsman

Madsman Member

I've never played the Durham Sex Drive, but my inclination is to guess that they're completely different. The Triad is a preamp and a booster... no OD etc. It's like a color + a clean boost. Kind of like the shimmer from a Klon or something like that (but not the same kind of super-tightening factor) + the boost of an SHO + an effects loop for letting you set digital effects (delays etc) in parallel and not hose your tone.

12. threm

threm Member

Thanks, Madsman!

Btw. From what I`ve the Sex Drive is merely a booster. Even with the drive on full there`s just a hint of grit added.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Awesome demo Chris.. one of the best I've heard via the net... Great job!! I just got my Psionic Triad today. Actually I had to sign for it ,and the poor postlady kept knocking on my door as I was wailing downstairs on other equipment, and finally when I stopped for a second I heard someone knocking frantically on the door... Turned out to be the Triad's long anticipated delivery.. I went right back downstairs and hooked it up to my PP AC and into an old Engl EL84 amp I have and played for another hour.. 1 of my favorite pedals ever. Lyle used the front end of the old Korg 3000 delay I believe and man thru my setup it sounded like some of the Edge's nice tones. Of course he never used Engls but this is a really special amp... Tonight and tomorrow I'm gonna pair it up with lots of my other amps and check it out. There's no doubt it's cool as hell.. AND your demo surely shows that .. Lyle should definitely mail you that XXL T-Shirt!! :) LOL p.s. I have a Flexi too (and an old THD plexi combo) and I think they'll be my next amps I try this with!!!

ERIC

14. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Madsman - great playing! I am looking for the secret that will take my noodling to the next level and it looks like you've found it.(commenting on your chops, not the Triad)

My Triad should be here in a few days, and I'm glad you described it as essentially what I'm looking for (color plus a clean boost) - exactly what my one channel FXloopless amp needs...

Is that the Paul you are using? You might have commented on it but I missed it....

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

Thanks, man! The "secret" I think you're alluding to in this clip is trying to move more in triads (HA! IT'S A PUN! SHOOT ME!) to break up monotonous scale ramblings. There are a lot of dudes on this site alone who have that and other intervallic ideas down with such a level of mastery, it's stupifying. I'm still a neophyte IMO. I just think it's easier to free oneself melodically if one can get away from the idea that a scale is a pattern or an ascending and descending device, and instead try to think of it as something like "an optional set of rules governing a specific harmony." LOL that sounds pretentious! It's just the most concise definition I can come up with.

The guitar in the clip is an Anderson Drop Top Classic. It's HSH (which I will never buy again, though I am definitely into bridge humbuckers. Love the Anderson, but from now on it's HSS and maybe fixed bridge) so the neck single sounds are split humbuckers.

ericb: Thanks dude! I know more or less exactly how it's going to kill with your Flexi, but I wish I had access to one of those THD Plexis! Awesome. I think it's pretty easy to make this pedal sound bad, if you underestimate how much gain it has (read: gain, not drive, of course)... the pedal has more than I can imagine using, unless you're playing it into something like a Bassman. I'm sure I do believe that this thing is going to put Lyle on the map... New Kron. :) Totally not the same kind of pedal, but you know what I mean. I doubt this pedal will have any significant value to full on metalheads, but as the whole "tone" thing keeps becoming more and more important and accessible, I think the market for devices like this is pretty huge.

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

I missed the delivery of mine yesterday, but I picked it up at the post office this morning on the way into work. I want to go home and plug it in but I'm backing up 2 people who are out today...

I really have high hopes that this thing is going to once and for all solve my issues with 1 channel amps and open up tons of possibilities for live performance. Guess, I'll open it now.

17. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I've got an SDD-3000 coming, but when I've got the cash, I'm ordering one of the Triads.

18. MrSage

MrSage Member

You won't be sorry. It's an amazing piece of gear. Absolutely the sound I was looking for. It's not a pure clean boost, I guess, but the light filtering it provides doesn't make your signal lose top end or become excessively middy...it just gives it a nice overall flavor. Excellent pedal.

19. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Anyone know how these compare to an Xotic RC booster?Also any noise added to the original signal.Thanks in advance.

20. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Trust me, it sounded great, and you need to get a Mac!