Psionic stuff...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed DeGenaro, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Got a few new Psionic toys coming...the 314 (Fuzz) Z1 (OD) and the Lava Flow his A/B/Y with additional insert loop for running two discrete chains between two heads, or running two chains and switching channels on a channel switcher.
    Anyways, if anyone is interested I' have a small pedal board in the TDH booth and for the Tone Merchats Vigier gig that will have a bunch of Psionic goodies.
    Some pix...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

The switcher looks really flexible.

3. muddy

muddy Member

DAMN! i want one-a those!

ml

4. Ed DeGenaro

Dude, the Triad I had for a while now makes such a difference for whe you use delay in front...

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

6. muddy

muddy Member

shite, i forgot how much i liked that 314! that's the best sounding fuzz I'VE ever heard... hey, what's the z2?

ml

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Thanks muddy!

The 3.14 is based on the Big Muff (obviously), though the ground scheme is much better and the components I use are higher quality - it has very low self noise for a Big Muff derived pedal. The Clip switch changes between symmetrical silicon clipping (standard BM) and asymmetrical silicon/germanium clipping for a softer warmer Fuzz Face sound. The Voice switch changes between the classic "Ram's head" BM tone stack (with a midrange scoop and high end emphasis) and a more neutral tone stack (flatter mids, more lows, less pronounced highs). Very versatile pedal.

The Z2 is derived from the Distortion Plus, though it doesn't sound like the MXR. First, it doesn't roll off the low end nearly as much when you increase the gain - it's freq response is pretty flat except at extreme Drive settings. Second, there is more control of the Drive level available - not an all or nothing control. Third, I added a tone control that I borrowed from my Triad - it's a very subtle control that really just decreases the pick attack - it doesn't really dull the highs, just smoothes the attack. Fourth I added an output buffer - this both prevents the Z2's sound from changing depending on what devices are after it and also allows for a lot of clean volume - the Level control offers a lot of gain. With the Drive all the way down and the Level up, it's a very effective boost.

The Clip switch on the Z2 changes between symmetrical silicon clipping and asymmetrical silicon/LED clipping, which is warmer and more amp-like.

There's also a jack on the side of the pedal, just visible in the photo above. This is a feature that I will be adding to all my pedals - it allows the user to control the pedal remotely via relay. The Z2 is true bypass, but can be operated either by the foot switch or by a remote latching switch (either physical or via MIDI control).

This is nice for those who want to rackmount the pedal, or for those who have the Z2 in an inconvenient spot on a pedalboard. No, the relay jack probably won't be used that much, but for those who need it, it will be a life-saver, and it only adds $1.50 to the cost of the pedal, so there it is.

After the NAMM insanity, I'll have Z2 clips up. Chris Nix and Nate Najar are nuts about it, and I hope Ed DeGenaro is, too.

Like all my pedals, the insides are military spec double sided plated through boards with heavy traces and top-notch components. While I prefer to use custom steel enclosures (Triad and Lavaflow), for now I have to use Hammond boxes for the small runs of custom pedals/devices, but the insides are anything but home-grown.

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Lyle,

Rough prices?

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The 3.14 is currently $150, though it is about to go up to $180 due to rising parts costs (oil, don't ya know). The Z2 will also be $180 when it joins the website.

I am going to try to have a standard custom steel enclosure made this year for all my pedals, which will have flat black powdercoat finish with white silkscreening. I hate having to use the labels and Hammond boxes, believe me. I just have to figure out a way to make it cost effective.

http://psionicaudio.com/main/314.htm

10. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

Thanks for the fit of GAS Lyle.

:D

11. Ed DeGenaro

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

Lyle, I know you're probably busy with NAMM. How long is the wait on the 3.14?

Is there a 9v tap on the pedal?

Thanks.

13. muddy

muddy Member

damn, damn, damn! gotta get rid of something so i can get the 3.14 before it goes up! for some reason, i thought it was $200>. it's certainly worth that, (but don't listen to me!!!). it doesn't sound like it has that bluubery (ahem... blubbery) woof that bm's had/have; it almost sounds like an od. i REALLY like it. i'm dying to hear that z2 now! i still had my old mxr dist+ on my distortion city board when i toured with joe. i musta used that for 15 years or more. you know, lyle, whenever i go to your site & flip through the peds, i always say to m'self "i could really use 1 o' those... hey i could use one o' those, too... shite, i need 'em all!!!! :D

ml

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

About 3-4 weeks right now. Between current orders and getting the new relay-equipped 3.14 boards in, that's pretty accurate.

Except for the Triad, all my pedals use 9vdc with a 2.1mm tip negative plug (Boss standard) and draws well under 100ma (including the pedal mixers - they run internally on 18vdc but take 9vdc in). This includes the Lavaflow, if I didn't mention that above.

15. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

I try to keep my prices reasonable, though they are not inexpensive. I won't be charging $400 for a Tube Screamer clone any time soon.

I'm a big Gilmour fan, and have tried a lot of Big Muffs over the years. They are very inconsistent sounding pedals, and even a lot of the ones that sounded good were noisy. So I decided to roll my own, and a few of my existing clients asked for one, so now I'm making them regularly. The 3.14 is the only pedal I make that is completely based on a classic (the Z2 is far from a Dist + in sound and features, though it is based on the same principle idea), and on my website I credit Jack Orman for doing a lot of good research on the Big Muff circuits.

But the 3.14 is not a kit or schematic I downloaded and copied - I did it from the ground up and kept what I liked and changed the rest.

Thanks for the kind words!

16. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

That's some mighty fine looking gear you have there Lyle. :AOK

17. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

18. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Thanks Bryan! I just sent a customer to you btw. Some of your standard bypass strips in the A and B insert loops of the Lavaflow would make for an incredibly powerful pedalboard.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Dude, mine just came and that pedal is so unbelievably cool I can't even put it into word...other than maybe a 300000000 lbs. violin. :)

20. muddy

muddy Member

which one, ed, the 3.14 or the z2?

ml