Psychedelic Machine

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vorvick, Jul 24, 2006.

1. vorvick

vorvick Member

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

wow i had no idea they go for so much, i have always wanted one too.... i guess not any more haha. but a replica would be great! pure Blue Cheer sound!!!

3. vorvick

vorvick Member

bump. any builders considering psychedelia?

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

What is it exactly? An amp with a built in fuzz and tremolo?

5. vorvick

vorvick Member

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It's nothing more than a Uni-vibe + Fuzz. There are two separate circuit boards inside, one looks identical to a univibe and the other is the Shin-Ei or Maestro (Gibson) 2-knob fuzz, I don't recall which. It's definitely a cool piece (I actually bid on that one) but it's nothing that can't be done with fuzz and vibe pedals. Get some DIY pcbs and roll your own if you have to have it in one box.

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Hm, exactly what I suspected, thanks for clearing that up!

8. vorvick

vorvick Member

Here's a quote from Jeff at ToneFrenzy.com
    (Appropriately psychedelic!) -vorvick

Paul: There are a couple versions of psychedelic machine. All combined, there were very few built. We quietly asked major gear heads. We heard about 5-6 in Europe, similar in US, and other areas. Naturally, are 3-5 times that many, some sitting in closets/garages, "existing".
    ------
    Our photo shows Electra version. (Saw one same shape, says "HONEY" in big letters). Another version has two more knobs, has sold for $2K.
    Components are Japanese, using many transistors. These may not be available now. Replacement transistors can be applied *BUT* at the least, would change tone. At the most, could sound like noise/not function at all.
    ----
    IMHO: There's a bit more to the psychedelic machine than just fuzzy univibe, but that's general/quick overview of the vibe. Psychedelic machine has vibrato, tremolo, and a sort of delay/repeat cycle from 1/16th to 1 full second. Plus it does "wobble" like a univibe, and has two, different fuzzes. Also, everything in this circuit is powerful/physical sounding(and even feeling).

First time I heard it through a '68 Plexi Marshall half stack, w/ a Les Paul, Prarie Sun Studio. YOW! When the sound stopped, I instinctively screamed! I was physically effected by it. It's "Mood adjuster"
    is not all hype. [True story]!

I suspect somewhere in it's GUSHING cycles, some "infrasonic" and "subsonic*" pulses are accidentally created. You may know infrasonic vibrations border between audible sound, and deep bass, and subsonic vibrations are BELOW human hearing.

All kinds of vibration/waves exist that humans aren't receptive to. It's known: Elephants signal this way for miles! I've seen video of them responding quickly to HUGE speakers at a distance. Two elephants stopped what they were doing, faced in direction of speakers, and began swaying slowly. Both elephants at same time.

Visual experiment: point your TV's channel changer at video camera while recording. Now, look at video: you'll SEE your remote control linking/pulses on tape! Yet, can't see this w/ just your eyes. Radio&TV signals are here, fortunately, we don't hear these all these.

Stopping far short of X-files type SCI-FI:
    I discussed this w/ gear designers who studied physics/electronics at university level. We agreed re: cycles hovering at boundary of audio/physical level. Sound is physical, cycles can be tiny or big enough to shake your lungs inside your body.

Sadly, some of the "old gear stuff" is vanishing. Tubes, Transistors, "special ingredients" are no longer made, existing stock lost/breaking down. A gent I know wrote: 'Before long, kids will think "Phase 90" & "Harmonic Percolator" are names of settings on their digital computer -- not something that really existed'.

Fortunately, some old stuff exists & the digital sampling is getting better at "marinating" the tones into a signal. Even Strativarius violins, will reach tone peak, and deteriorate,(intersting to read about radition/UV rays effecting wood).

Life is change: Best bet: find a good spot to check it out!

PS: Please feel free to share this with others who care about the stuff. It's what we experienced at Tonefrenzy; just opinion of a few guys.
    Most are out for money, but some kids growing up now, may create great designs. Thank you for writing!
    Jeff / Tonefrenzy

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have one, I think I recall the board is just a univox SUPERFUZZ board.

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that makes more sense and explains ToneFrenzy's 2 fuzz sound comment. Both the superfuzz and rezlytone schematics can be downloaded so it shouldn't be too much trouble to roll your own.

11. vorvick

vorvick Member

Analogmike:

You own a psychedelic machine. You build effects. How many (and at what price point) would you have to sell to make it worth your while to do a run of replicas?

I'm sure you're busy with your core products, but thought I'd ask.

I'm not a dealer, just fascinated with what I've heard on line about the machine.

V

12. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

thatta boy . . . . talk'im up!

13. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

As far as who actually owns one, I remember seeing a picture of East Bay Ray from the Dead Kennedy's and his rig in the background featured one.

14. vorvick

vorvick Member

keepin' the dream alive, 2011

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

Paisley Vibra Fuzz is the clone you seek.

16. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Paisley Tubby builds an excellent clone called the Vibra Fuzz-- stock it's a Super-Fuzz + Univibe. I have a custom with a MkI Tone Bender instead of the Super-Fuzz.

[​IMG]

But you should be able to hook up a Super-Fuzz with a decent Univibe to get the same kind of sound going on. As Mike says, it's two boards inside -- one a univibe and the other a fuzz. Best sounding vibe I've tried so far though.

17. jdel77

jdel77 Where's my burrito? Silver Supporting Member

18. vorvick

vorvick Member

cool! thanks guys

19. muddy

muddy Member

wasn't scotty/pro analog doin' one of these 4-5 years ago?

ml

20. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

:YinYang ;) :tapedshut