• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

pt Volto??

QQQ

Been using one for the last several months. No problems at all. Very happy with it.

ejkennedy

Been using one for the last several months. No problems at all. Very happy with it.
Sweet!!! I'll be powering an empress tape, morning glory, hard wire super, and possibly a mml2. I've only and ever used a pp2+. Just want to try something different, and with the positive if now outlet needed, awesome. I have read some really negative reviews though.

QQQ

Sweet!!! I'll be powering an empress tape, morning glory, hard wire super, and possibly a mml2. I've only and ever used a pp2+. Just want to try something different, and with the positive if now outlet needed, awesome. I have read some really negative reviews though.
Not sure what kind of battery life you will get with some higher ma draw pedals you will be using. My total board draw is under 100 ma.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
I tried to power a full 7 pedal board with a digital delay on one and while it never let me down for a gig it lost power several times during rehearsal. I wound up with maybe 4 hours charge on one, and knowing it would eventually crap out in a gig situation, I moved it to my little board with less draw. So far so good.

Nota

I don't think the capacity on this is enough to gig unless you have an all-analog board - similar to the Pedal Juice. There have been some reports of unreliability too.

ejkennedy

I don't think the capacity on this is enough to gig unless you have an all-analog board - similar to the Pedal Juice. There have been some reports of unreliability too.
So two one hour sessions a week would too much for this board?-

Xotic Lp-Rockett blue note-Eventide H9

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
The Eventide H9 is spec'd for a 500mA power source.
Last time I read the Volto online FAQ they ere shying away from large digital pedals.

from http://pedaltrain.com/images/volto_faq.pdf :

VOLTO can have amazing battery life when powering pedal varieties that use a standard 9-volt battery. Just about every analog overdrive, phase, flange, delay, compression and tremolo pedals fall into this category. Tuners too.​
Certain pedals, like high-fidelity digital delays and reverbs, draw very large amount of​
power and are frequently is an “always on” mode. “Always on” can mean two things:​
a) the player leaves the effect engaged all the time, or​
b) the pedal is drawing current regardless of whether or not the effect is engaged. While VOLTO can power these pedals, it is important to note that VOLTO was not designed to power these types of effects as a primary function. VOLTO’s battery life will be diminished using the pedal​
types.​

mizzlfoshizzl

I have one under my nano board. Works as described but it really depends on the current draw of your pedals. When I had a memory lane jr. on there I would have to charge after a few hours use, with just dirt I can dd a whole week's worth of rehearsals with two bands and a 4 hour gig before I need to plug in. Charges pretty quick on the wall wart, probably around 4 hours for a full charge. Overall a cool solution for me but I would only use true bypass pedals on it so that if it did run out at a gig you can just turn it off and keep going.

ejkennedy

I have one under my nano board. Works as described but it really depends on the current draw of your pedals. When I had a memory lane jr. on there I would have to charge after a few hours use, with just dirt I can dd a whole week's worth of rehearsals with two bands and a 4 hour gig before I need to plug in. Charges pretty quick on the wall wart, probably around 4 hours for a full charge. Overall a cool solution for me but I would only use true bypass pedals on it so that if it did run out at a gig you can just turn it off and keep going.
K that leads me.to another question. With the Volto underneath a PTmini is easy enough to just keep the Volt plugged in the wall during playtime with no issues??

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
K that leads me.to another question. With the Volto underneath a PTmini is easy enough to just keep the Volt plugged in the wall during playtime with no issues??
more from the Volto FAQ:

Simultaneously Charging VOLTO and Powering Pedals​
VOLTO can simultaneously power your pedals and charge its lithium-ion battery. That said, there are some nuances you should be aware of.​
• VOLTO requires a residual charge to perform its simultaneous charging/powering feature.
• If VOLTO is fully discharged it will not recharge and power your pedals. Instead, you should recharge VOLTO according to the instructions above.
• The draw of your pedals must not exceed the electrical requirements to charge VOLTO.
• If your pedals draw more than the amount required, VOLTO will operate in a net
deficit and, by design, VOLTO will default to powering your pedals and forego charging itself.

Personally, I'd be cautious about running the H9 on the Volto (fast discharge rate, shorter battery life, according to pedaltrain) and there would be more of a chance of noise on the +9 if the charger was plugged in. No guarantees of problems, but the potential does go up.

You might want to read the pedaltrain FAQ and the online Volto manual.

ejkennedy

Man that sucks. I have to buy a pp2 again and just mount it on top of the board. Oh well. I had high hopes.

ejkennedy

I have a friend who has used the VS daisy chain thing with some great pedals with 0 noise issues. Is that a possibility with this mini board I'm buying?? I've only used PP2's for boards in the past. Thanks for any and all thoughts and comments.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
your limiting issue will be the interplay between the H9, the powersupply and the other pedals. Your exact experience with that setup is not possible to predict 100%, as noise can also come from build/wear issues on your individual pedals (e.g. loose connections for power/ground within the pedal(s), the quality of the power-interconnect cables, etc).

For me, I'd always play it safe and give a high-current digital pedal (like the H9) it's own isolated power tap at a minimum...or perhaps a separate supply/wallwart.

Then again, I'm not tied to small boards so I don't have the same space contraints as many others have. I guess it comes from growing up in the 60s/70s and seeing all that urban spawl... I got used to it.

ejkennedy

your limiting issue will be the interplay between the H9, the powersupply and the other pedals. Your exact experience with that setup is not possible to predict 100%, as noise can also come from build/wear issues on your individual pedals (e.g. loose connections for power/ground within the pedal(s), the quality of the power-interconnect cables, etc).

For me, I'd always play it safe and give a high-current digital pedal (like the H9) it's own isolated power tap at a minimum...or perhaps a separate supply/wallwart.

Then again, I'm not tied to small boards so I don't have the same space contraints as many others have. I guess it comes from growing up in the 60s/70s and seeing all that urban spawl... I got used to it.
Everything including the board is being bought brand new. I'm just settling for what I tried to avoid. Getting another PP2+

Christoph R.

You could use the Gigrig Generator.
I have one under my mini, it fits without modding the Pedaltrain!
It powers a Modfactor, a DL4 off the board, 3 drives and a Tuner!

Its a british company though, so i don't know about availability in the us!

ejkennedy

You could use the Gigrig Generator.
I have one under my mini, it fits without modding the Pedaltrain!
It powers a Modfactor, a DL4 off the board, 3 drives and a Tuner!

Its a british company though, so i don't know about availability in the us!
You sir may be a hero. I emailed for shipping quote.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom