PT100, fill me in...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fearhk213, Feb 24, 2009.

1. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Thinking about visiting the CAA camp again. It seems like they have some really cool stuff going on. I'm predominantly a metal rythym player, but I like some versatility in my tones too. In the past I had an OD100 Std, which I then had modded to an OD100SE+ w/plexi tranny & Whomp. The Std wasn't voiced to my style and the SE+ was close, but with the fatness of the notes and the compression it felt more suited to leads than very fast, precise metal riffing.

Right now my two main amps are a Bogner Uberschall and a Cameron modded HG Jose. What attracts me to these amps is the loads of gain they have and their ability to remain articulate and focused during fast riffs and big distorted chords. I'm looking for something that falls some where in between these two. I like the massive sound and punchiness of Uber, but there is always a sharp bite to the highs that gets tiresome. The HG has bite too, but there is a smoothness in the highs that the Uber doesn't have. Also, the mids in the HG have this chewy feel and woody sound the Uber doesn't. Plus I like the feel of the HG Jose better and how easy it is to play. Truth be told I'd probably be happy with just the HG Jose, but I need a clean channel and John's cleans are second to none. I also figured maybe I can get the best of both worlds between what I like about the Uber and HG Jose.

I sent this to John and he suggested the PT100. Anyway, I wonder if you all could fill me in a little bit more about the amp and it you've used it in a metal type setting? Also, what the story on the new Whomp II and JS100 boost?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

I would also like some more info on the PT100 as well as the Whomp II and JS100 boost.

Can you give us some details John?

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

There's a ton of information over at hugeracksinc.com if you haven't been there already...

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Which threads?

Links?

Thanks.

5. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

6. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Just search for "PT100" and you'll pull up a ton over there.

7. billm408

billm408 Member

A PT100 search will pull up a lot here too... including some clips from Pete.

AFAIK, there is no JS100 boost. It was just an internal name they were giving it until Pete signed off on the changes. It refers to the second master/gain controls on channel 2.

I'm hoping to have mine this week- Chris was doing a burn in on Monday. Got a gig on Saturday and I'd really like to christen it!

8. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I've done some searching and PT100 does come up alot, but there really isn't a whole lot of feedback yet.

There are two good links in this thread. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=499836&highlight=pt100&page=2

And then John's respons to my thread on HRI:
    The PT100 has much more of a Marshally flavor than the other OD's and really doesn't sound very much like an OD except for the clean channel. Plenty of gain on tap and can easily be made a more metal tone, just switch off the bright put the mids on 3 and kick in the whomp. The JS version of the amp is the PT.

The links above along with Johns comment are the best descriptions I've run into yet. John's comment also clears up the JS thing too. Though I'd still love to hear if anyone is using their PT100 metal style.

9. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I have a PT100...It does my style of 'metal'. Definitely a modded-Marshall vibe to it. Mine started off as an SE+ and I didn't like it all that much..the PT100 is way more my style.

I also have an Uberschall...they are completely different amps. The Uber is more modern (fire the bass player!) sounding...while the PT has a timeless chunk to it. Plus...the PT has an awesome clean channel. I'd rather run direct than use the Uber's clean channel.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks.

Like an idiot I had searched using PT-100 and came up with nothing.

:jo