• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PT100 owners - current and former

Praetorian

Hey am looking at this amp at the moment. Pretty rare here in AUS.

Any owners both current and former like to chime in on what they like and don't like about this amp?

If you sold it on, please tell me why?

At the moment I think it may be a little too modern sounding for my tastes, but perhaps that's due to the clips where most guys are running the gains on ch 2 or 3 at 6 on the dial or above.

I've listened to Pete's video demo of the amp and in that it still sounds different to me than older style Marshall's. His version of ACDC the amp sounds like it has more gain and more mids than the ACDC sound to my ears. So I am wondering if the amps gain range on channels 2 and 3 is too much for me.

Ideally if I could build myself an amp I would have three channels for clean, rhythm, and lead and they would be clean voice of probably early Marshall like a JTM45, channel 2 late 60's early 70's plexi voice for rhythm, and channel 3 JCM800 to slightly hot rodded Marshall for lead. So that's the kind of sound I'm shooting for.

If the PT100 can do that and I just haven't heard the right clip...then great....please let me know.

Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Guitar-Addict

Hi,

I do not own a PT100, but an ML+. Great amps (both of them), the difference IMHO is that the ML+ has a more "vintage" sounding overdrive (think cranked non-MV Marshalls) and the PT100 is a little bit more aggressive/modern (think MV-Marshalls). Clean channel is the same on both, can be anything from nice and really (Fender-like) clean to raunchy bluesy overdrive (up to classic rock).

The second Volume for the gain channel on the PT100 is a cool feature, wish my amp had this as well. But after all, the slight volume boost that happens "automatically" is usually enough.

The CAA box (2x12 V30 in my case) is a great combination!

This amp is (and I guess will stay) my main amp. And I guess with my Hayseed, my 2204 from '81 and my Hiwatt, the competition is not that bad :BluesBros

Edit: I forgot, the OD 100's are not three channel amps. You can boost the clean channel (not footswitchable) and the overdrive channel (with a footswitch, too), but the channels have "only" one EQ each. Maybe check out the ML+ as well, the voicing might be better suit you.

Last edited:

bluessyndicate

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a modern tones guy and I find the PT100 ch3 tones inspiring...thick juicyand gainey. Easy to roll back, easy to dial back. As I was evaluating the PT100 as a possible purchase I had the same concerns. I'm glad I took the leap of faith.

Based on your description of wanting marshall tones with slightly modded marshall tones I think this amp will give you that. It can go further than your needs but it can nail your needs, unless you are a vintage marshall tone purist with extreme expectations....i.e. go buy a Germino or something and give up expectations for 3 channels and be done with it.

I notice that ch2 with gain on 8 is also hot rodded marshall territory (I keep gain around 5 on ch 2) ...maybe this amp was designed to go supply a wider range of gain than you need. perhaps the ML+ is a good choice and you'll simply roll back ch2 to damper down from slightly hot rodded marshal down to early marshall.

You probably would be happy with either amp and would not use the full potential of the PT100, but in summary, I had concerns about the modern voicing and found that to not be a problem.

With the PT100 my gain pedals (OCD v3, RC Booster, Love Pedal Eternity) are once again retired (last time that happened was with a Two Rock Custom Reverb).

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Fat Sound Guitars has a sweet Silver Jubilee 1/2 stack for sale...I played it, sounds great.

Different amp..that's the 25th.

The Marshall 6100 is the 30th Anny. KILLER amp..but they're known to be a bit...delicate.

bluessyndicate

Silver Supporting Member

The Marshall 6100 is the 30th Anny. KILLER amp..but they're known to be a bit...delicate.
Yes, I love the 30th as well. Good sound and useful features. I was pretty impressed with the jubilee at Fat Sound if anyone is interested..it's very clean.

rastaman

Agreed. That's the only reason I was relieved after I sold mine. My amp tech was relieved also. I never had any issues though FWIW.

Praetorian

The Marshall 6100 is the 30th Anny. KILLER amp..but they're known to be a bit...delicate
They are probably as rare as PT100's here in AUS. Seen them in the signatures of guys on the Marshall forums but never seen one in person or for sale on eBay in this part of the world.

Wizard of Ozz

Gold Supporting Member
As a current PT100 owner... I think it would suit your needs perfectly. The feedback control allows you to dial in more or less power amp filtering, so you can have a loose, spongy JTM45 feel at lower settings... and at higher settings, get a tight, articulate low end with more edge. It's a great all-around Marshall sounding amp, with both a spectacular fx loop and the best clean channel I've found in a channel switcher.

Trending Topics