1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

PT100 vs. Classic+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, May 18, 2011.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I have a PT100 on the way, but I really dig Michael Landau's tones and I believe he uses a Classic+. I know the PT has more gain but can the second channel be dialed in to cover the Classic+ tones, or is it so radically different in voicing and gain structure that it simply can't get close? I bought the PT thinking it is a more versatile amp so I hope it can cover some of the same tonal territory.

2. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

You could definitely get close with the gain on the PT dialed back and a pedal (Landau uses the Maxon SD9 a lot) pushing the amp. To my ears the PT has more of an upper midrange push than the Classic+.

I made a raw video of my Classic+ here:

3. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I would love to try a classic + one day. I wonder if that would be more my liking. I never have the gain past 4 on channels 2 and 3 of PT100.

Maybe at 5, anything past 6 is way too much gain for my tastes and I like liquid shred type tones. Same goes for my xtc and SLO, I keep the gain lower

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Never played the Classic + but have owned a SE+ and now have a PT100 . . . . . the PT100 second channel with gain dialed pretty low has alot of "character" IMO . . . . bluesy . . . .and gritty.

5. telewacker

How does the voicing on the PT's gain channel compare to the SLO? I got an SLO first and the upper mid emphasis was just too much for my taste so I sold to try a CAA. Also the cleans and shared EQ were a problem. I will have the PT100 next week, but I may have lined up a trade for a Classic+ if I find the gain channel can't be shaped to get what I want.

6. telewacker

Thanks for posting that. I have a Voodoo 1 and an SD-9 too, so I will have your video as a good reference point when I get the PT100.

7. telewacker

I saw a youtube video with a guy playing a Mexican strat straight into a PT100 and he did get a great bluesy neck pickup tone with the gain low, and I believe he even said it was the third channel.

8. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

The PT100 wont be as harsh as the Soldano SLO 100 in the upper mids. I would say the pt100 can sound like the slo100 when slo 100 TBM are at noon when you put the pt100s bass at 2, mids at 8, and treb at 8 and have the bright cap on.

I am thinking of selling my SLO 100 as I dont play it enough and the PT100 can get those sounds and be a lot smoother.

9. telewacker

That sounds great...that plus the ability to calm the PT100 down with the FX loop level control (not to mention the cleans) and I may stop with the PT.

For now....:p

10. cheesey

cheesey Member

Classic + sounds awesome , thought I wanted PT 100 but not so sure !

11. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

The first custom Audio amplifier i ever tried was the OD100 standard.
    After playing that I ordered an SE +, and a year later had it converted to PT100. But I think I should have originally tried the classic + first. But the PT100 is cool and it does what I need it to do.
    All of the OD100 amps are really versatile.

I was worried the classic plus wouldnt have enough gain but now I realize it would have.

I just think amps with less gain stages sound better cranked to 10, versus higher gain(more gain stages) amps with gain at 5 or lower.

12. telewacker

That's my concern. I'll know after I get it and very likely will be able to trade for the Classic+ if I decide to.

13. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I think the PT100 though is really an amp you cannot go wrong with. I love liquid shred type soloing but I hate thrash heavy scoop mid type stuff.

My ideal amp would do Scorpions Blackout type Rhythm tones and Steve Vai Tender Surrender Lead tones, and the PT100 can do that stuff.

I kinda go back and forth on how I like the amps presence dialed in. I go from one extream to the other presence 0 and presence 10. I just got done playing the PT100 with these settings and loved the result.

Womp middle, Feedback 0, Pres 10, Channel 2/3 gain 6. Bass 2.5, mids 10, treb 5-6, volume 5. This just gave me the coolest lead tone ever

Dannyz likes this.
  14. telewacker

Thanks I'll try that when I get the amp.

15. telewacker

Got the PT100. I'm really impressed. All three channels are stellar. The FX return works great for usable tones at reasonable volumes. I can set channel 2 for a nice vintage Marshall breakup that cleans up with the guitar's volume, and channel 3 for saturated liquid gain tones. The clean channel is so much better than the SLO...this amp is a much better fit for me. I'm definitely keeping it!

16. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

glad u like!!!!

17. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Also try this, The settings seem way out of wack but it sounds good.

Womp middle, feedback 5, presence 10, gain 6, bass 10, mids 5, treb 0, volume atleast 4 ( use MV in back), bright switch off

I like the cleans on the PT100, probably spend most my time there.

The PT100 is why I am torn about selling my SLO. I have a feeling I would regret selling the SLO but it just sits there, only my PT100 and XTC get played.

And really why do I need these amps anyway, I have three kids( 4 ,3, and 1 1/2) and a 4th on the way. My kids hate it when I play guitar and always run into my little basement room and yank the guitar cord out of the amp, then I hear stuff like "Daddy, come play Stars Wars with me".......those darn pesky kids :)

So with that being said, I probably could get rid of some amps.....but I will probably end up buying more :)

18. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Also for a really cool crunch tone, and this would make a cool single channel amp.

PT100 clean channel:
    Boost on, bright on, Presence to taste, womp off, feedback 2-5, Bass 2-3, mids 5, treb 5, gained dimed, volume as loud as you can handle it. This is cool clear crunch city.

19. gabaghoul

gabaghoul Member

What does this mean? Are you saying you can turndown the return level to bedroom volumes and still get high gain sounds, basically attenuating the output? That would be awesome.

20. telewacker

Yes. It works very well at low volumes. I never play at "bedroom" volumes, but I do turn it down pretty low at times and the amp sounds great. Naturally there is no substitute for speakers moving a lot of air. The SLO I had for a bit didn't sound good at all at low volumes.

The PT100 is the best amp I've ever played.