PTD Fuzzes and Active Pickups

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious if any of the PTD fuzz users here have any experience using them with active pickups. Any issues such as those typical of using active pickups with a fuzz face?

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Can't tell you, but I have experimented with putting boosts and buffers in front of my Mini Bone. A buffered signal changes the way the MB reacts, but it still works ok, especially compared to a fuzz face. The volume knob cleanup and picking dynamics aren't quite as responsive, tending towards slightly more aggressive sounds. I feel like the overall character stays the same though. I feel like it does better with a buffer than most fuzzes overall. It's very sensitive to input though, every guitar I have gets slightly different sounds.

Paul could probably give you some more specific info, especially if you're interested in different pedals

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks AXXA. My main axe has EMGs and while I haven't tried a lot of fuzzes I've yet to run into a problem. What I am gathering is that it's primarily the fuzz face circuit that has a problem with low impedance signals.

corbetta

I can confirm what AXXA says--the MB handles low impedance signals better than most. in my experience an active signal into the MB yields more gain, crazier sounds, a brighter/spankier cleanup, and a bit more background noise. Still perfectly usable though!

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
I can confirm what AXXA says--the MB handles low impedance signals better than most. in my experience an active signal into the MB yields more gain, crazier sounds, a brighter/spankier cleanup, and a bit more background noise. Still perfectly usable though!

Thanks corbetta. Now I just need to figure out which one to get!

corbetta

just to be save I'd stick with Bone-family circuits. Paul has mentioned that the Fudge/Tornita! ones are more picky with input impedance.