PTD Mini-Bone vs. Himmelstrutz Gramps+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Farbulous, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

Anybody own both that can do a comparison? I'm much more tempted by the mini-bone, especially because of the price. I already have the following fuzz options, and I am looking for something different:

Blackout Effectors Dual Fuzz
    Analogman Astrotone

I'm not too crazy about Tonebenders, although maybe I just haven't found the one I like best, and I've also owned both a Sunlion and a white dot NKT-275 Sunface both of which I really liked.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. teleclem

teleclem Member

I want to know as well (have a gramps but would like to try the other).

They seem fairly different though.

3. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Those are all...pretty different. The Gramps is smoooooth - I've heard a lot of people are using it at lower gain levels as well as higher ones, but it never occurred to me when I had it. Struck me as having a Gilmour-ish muff vibe, without any vintage-mojo jagged edges.

Mini-Bone works great as a mushy Supro-esque overdrive, a smooth fuzz face-style lead, and an over-the-top ring mod-into-a-cranked amp blowing up panic button. Responds well to changes in the guitar's volume as well.

4. edgie

edgie Member

I've been meaning to go to my luthier friend's house to try this comparison. I forgot what PTD pedal was the one I tried but(I was picking up my new Tyler then so my mind is on that) but I remember being impressed on how huge it sounds for a fuzz pedal and it has a nice responsive feel to it compared with other fuzz pedals and even OD's which tend to sound transistor-y.

I've had the Gramps+ for more than a year now and I'm still very happy with it. The way I dial it, it sounds like a fuzz face driving a marshall stack. It can be used to push other pedals or just a stand-alone drive. It can also be placed anywhere in your chain since its input is not sensitive like most fuzzes with transistors which don't work well with buffered pedals before them.

5. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Of the two I'd definitely go with the PTD -- no competition there.

I found the Gramps+ very fizzy with my setup and thought it only really sounded decent pushing and already breaking up amp. Honestly this was one of the worst pedals I've tried and I really tried to like it but just didn't. I sent clips to some other folks including Joakim of what I was getting out of it and no one could reproduce it. So to be fair, I probably received a dud. So I returned it and never looked back.

The PTD on the other hand was incredible with a clean amp and offered a very wide variety of fuzz sounds from OD to splatty glitchy fuzz and anywhere in between. It's very dynamic and takes a little time to learn because the controls are pretty interactive but it's well worth the effort. There is no questions that this is the pedal I'd go for (personally). The price is crazy low for how good it is. :aok

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. 66Park

66Park Member

I assume you meant the Gramps+. The Fetto is a completely different pedal. At any rate, my experience with the Gramps+ is very different than yours. It's my favorite out of the eleven fuzzes I own. Different strokes, I guess. The mini bone sounds very nice in the demos I've heard. I guess I'm so happy with what I can do with the Gramps+ that I never really consider buying another fuzz. It's the only one I own that always works for me regardless of guitar, amp, and other pedals, and it always cuts through the mix. I have a lot of great fuzzes, but none as practical and consistently great sounding as my Gramps+. Ymmv, etc.

7. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

So basically one solid vote for each. Any other perspectives?

8. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Yea -- Gramps+ :facepalm Didn't have my AM coffee yet :D

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The Gramps+ is an excellent sounding fuzz, dynamic, can get thick and choked, or smooth and overdriven.

The PTD Mini-Bone / Bone Machine I daresay is more dynamic and cleans up better. It doesn't have the low end the Gramps+ is capable of, but other than that it also does a fantastic overdrive sound and thick and choked fuzz sound. And splatty, ringmodish, trombone, gates and other far out things. It's range from light OD to insane fuzz is much wider than the Gramps+, and it doesn't compromise on the quality of styles in that range. The medium gain rock OD sound it does is easily one of the best rock tones I've ever heard. And the 'tame' fuzz I like dialed in is pretty darn close to a recorded Cornish G-2 sound.

That said, the PTD seems to have a little bit more noise than the Gramps+ at comparable gain levels, depending on how you have it dialed in.

If you're not looking for something or don't need something with a really broad spectrum of tones, I think the Gramps+ is completely solid and sounds big and is quite tailorable to your rig of choice. It really has no definable drawbacks. The 'Bone gives you a lot of everything, and really will make you reconsider if you need any other drive pedals except for, maybe another 'Bone. It's hard to say which one is right for you... I think the Gramps+ is a little grittier and the PTD is a little smoother overall.

Anyway... what type of fuzz sound are you going for? Song references you can provide?

10. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Highly recommend the PTD Mini Bone. I wouldn't even look back at the Gramps +. The Mini Bone is the most dynamic pedal I've come across. Full blown madness on ten on the guitar knob and all the way to sparkly clean as you back it all the way down. PTD is in a completely different class. There is a reason none are ever available used. My 2 cents. Nothing against Himmelstrutz --- I still really love those Fettos. But If it's fuzz your after, I wouldn't even waste any time -- go and get on that list.

11. Zero G

Zero G Member

:agree

Just got on the list a few weeks ago for Paul's new germanium hybrid Bone Machine. The wait is already killing me! :bonk

12. pennylink

pennylink Member

I don't have any experience with the PTD, but I've playing around with a Gramps+ for the last couple of weeks. I've tried it with single coils, humbuckers, different guitars/amps, but unfortunately for me it seems to lack any mojo. Perhaps it's a more 'modern' take on fuzz/OD, very hi-fi sounding without much warmth or harmonics. It does cut through the mix, it's very dynamic and obviously extremely well made, but sadly it doesn't deliver the sound I hear in my head. Maybe I'll try a PTD Mini-Bone next...

13. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I had just come up for my pedal when he announced that and I scrambled to get the hybrid version too! Don't know what turn-around time is once production begins but hopefully I'll see mine this week.

I'd like to try more Himmelstrutz pedals but the C-Luxe I tried didn't gel with my rig and I just can't afford to experiment with Joakim's brand. Someday though I'd like to try the Gramps+

14. 66Park

66Park Member

I do agree that the Gramps+ is a more modern take on a fuzz/OD. If you're looking for vintage, it may not be your thing. It does sort of straddle the line between fuzz and od. The mini bone is a more traditional sounding fuzz, and it will do some wild and wacky things that the Gramps+ wasn't designed to do. For me, though, the Gramps+ has plenty of warmth and harmonics. Also, I have to admit I don't really get the negative connotation of "hi-fi." I enjoy high fidelity sound with a full frequency response as opposed to, let's say a tubescreamer, which lacks highs and lows and has a mid hump that you can't dial out. But that's just me. Lots of people love "lo fi." I also really like the fact that Joakim's pedals are completely original designs, so like them or not, they are 100% him. The Trombetta pedals to my knowledge are also originals, and I think that's fantastic. I like the sounds I've heard in the demos, though my tastes tend more towards the less wacky end of the spectrum that I've heard from them. I have absolutely nothing but great impressions of Paul's pedals, and I hope you find the fuzz that delivers the sound you hear in your head.

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I would just want to add that the Mini-Bone is capable of sounding more like a traditional sounding fuzz (say, a smooth and sticky Fuzz Face), or get into the wacky territory as you mentioned. But what is often not shown in demos or discussed is its OD / Distortion style sounds which are every bit as good as the Gramps+ OD-style sounds. With the added exception that the Bone reacts a bit more dynamically to picking / vol control and cleans up to a sparklier clean.

16. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

OK... well I heard from Paul today, but now I'm not sure whether I should get a mini-bone or a double-bone with one side regular and one side hybrid. Could be yummy. Hmmm....

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I can vouch that you'll love it.
    And if you're going to drop some $, and have the board space, get the double. 100% on this.

18. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

19. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I'm contemplating it. Would that be so you could set one clean(er) and one fuzzy?

20. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Absolutely!