ptp board or Mercury Magnetics OT for 59 Bassman RI

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by EXP, Nov 22, 2004.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i just got an early '90 59 Bassman ri, its MINT. sounds great. but the pots are stuck, the knobs wont rotate that well, they just drag. and ON switch is stuck too, doesnt flip that easy. so i was thinking of putting in a Hoffman 5F6A board kit, seeing as it comes w/ the components and the switches/pots. or putting in a Mercury Magnetics Axiom Tone Clone OT. which one would you consider to be the better choice? also was thinking about Weber p10Q's Alnicos, are they any good? thanks

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Normally, I'd suggest the following for a RI bassman, in order of best bang for the buck importance (IMHO):

1) add bias pot
    2) Use tube rectifier instead of stock SS module
    3) 12AY7 in V1, 5881's for power tubes
    4) Reduce filtering to original design
    5) MM OT
    6) Replace PC card with discrete wired card

You seem to have some rather unusual problems with pots and switches but these can be replaced individually as needed.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I build and install the Hoffman board kits and think they are a very worthwhile upgrade.I have also put a couple Mercury Magnetics transformers in tham lately.I think the board kit is money better spent but ,of course some will disagree .
    Your welcome to call me at the shop and discuss it.
    I'm doing one now for a member of this board .You may want to talk to him next week.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

cool, how much for the board kit + installation? also the MM Axiom Tone Clone OT + installation. on your website it says you carry Weber speakers, how much for the P10q? thanks

5. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you would email me at the shop.I don't want to waste space here talking business.
    mike@tonezoneonline.com

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

mail sent. thanks

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

The board kit might result in better dependability, but the transformer will result in better sound, at least those are my results with a 66 Super Reverb OT. Gottsta have both!!:dude