PTP SLO-clone project pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Argonaut4, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Hey there fellow crazy people!;) :D I had a little time today and thought I'd share some pics of my current project. I've been building a PTP SLO-clone. I purchased the chassis from Weber and sourced the components from various vendors. The trannies are O/netics. I usually like to wait until a project is complete before showing pics, but I've been pretty excited about this one and couldn't wait.:D I still have plenty to do before complete. I'll be building the head enclosure out of Maple and Black Cherry. Can't wait to smell the saw dust!

Started the preamp section:
    [​IMG]

Preamp mostly complete:
    [​IMG]

Close up of part of the switching system:
    [​IMG]

Started wiring the heaters (part SLO-ish, part traditional) :
    [​IMG]

Finally fit in the boards and trannies (required a little thinking;) ):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toddyjoe

toddyjoe Member

Nice clean work, especially considering the relative complexity of the SLO circuit!

3. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Thanks! It is a bit more dificult than the Fender-ish amps I've been making.

4. axpro

axpro Member

Man, if you want to try a REALLY tough to wire circuit, try a 5F1... if you DARE! Theres like 8 components!!! Can you handle THAT!? :D

JUst kidding, BTW +1 on the clean work, clean wiring and organizing is alwats my downfallw hen building amps... I start out good, but it all turns to spaghetti by the end...

which is why i probablylike to build champs!

5. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

:D I love the Champs! I've rebuilt a few, but never made one from scratch. Thanks for the comments.:) This is strictly a hobby and I'm sure I take about 100x the amount of time a pro would take. You have that luxury when it's a hobby. I have the deepest respect for the real amp designers and builders. It's one thing to clone something, but to design (IMO) takes a whole lotta mojo.

J

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

From what I understand about the SLO, its the DeYoung Transformers that produce much of the magic. I have an SLO with the depth and Haynes mod, and I am simply thrilled with it!

Beautiful work BTW!!!

7. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Yes, you're correct on the DeYoung trannies having magic. They, however, do not sell to individuals (I tried;) )and recommend O/netics to anyone looking for an individual set. From what I understand, the O/netic trannies have plenty of mojo. I'm including both of those mods on this amp, also. I can't wait to fire her up!

Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it.:) I've been inspired here many times by other's projects.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Man that is just super gorgeous wiring job!
    True as an amateur you have more time, but that is a terrific job.
    I did a champ and well comparing it with your job on that SLO it's my daughter's kindergarten's painting vs. the Mona Lisa in the Louvre ...

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Cool....Please post some clips when you get her fired up!

10. sws1

sws1 Member

What are those black square things?

11. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Great looking work! Did you get your layout from the sloclone forum?

12. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Wow, thanks a lot! But there's plenty of wiring left where I could still mess it up.:D

I will definitely do that. A buddy of mine has a real one and I can't wait to put them side by side.

Those are LDR's. They're used for switching.

Thank you very much. Yes, I gleaned a lot of info, including the layout, from the sloclone forum. I've changed a few things here and there, but I learned a lot from lurking there.

13. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Very nice work!

14. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Another question: what's with the straight heater wires on the preamp sockets? Doesn't that induce hum... or is the heater supply DC? Also, it looks like you're using copper tubing. What that all about?

15. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Thanks!

Well, that sir is an experiment.;) The real SLOs are wired that way and I thought I'd give it a shot (partially). If it doesn't work out, I'll change it to the traditional twist method. The copper is actually from some 14 AWG romex I had around. I like to try different things, and I make a lot of mistakes. Winter is quite long here, I don't want my projects to get finished too quickly.:D

16. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

How did it turn out?