PU too hot for Fuchs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wahfreak, Feb 23, 2006.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

Hey all,
    I'm playing a Tom Anderson with an H2+ in the bridge going through a ODS-50. While it sounds great, I can't seem to get that really smooth Carlton/Ford tone. It gets some pretty awful hum too when playing through the PU. I've tried to really back off the gain (between 1 and 2) but it just doesn't capture the smoothness. Is a H2+ just too hot for this amp?? :confused:

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

I generally prefer lower output pickups with my ODS. I have a friend who uses hot humbuckers in all of his guitars and, while they sound ok through my ODS I didn't particularly care for the tone of any of them. Probably more of a personal preference than a limitation of the amp. It's worth asking Andy Fuchs.

3. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I too prefer low output pickups, but that's with any amp, so YMMV. I have gotten nice smooth tones out of my fuchs with humbuckers, P90, single coils, but I prefer the dynamic range I can get with singles better.

My favorite (lead) tones with the fuchs are with tele bridge pickup and strat bridge pickup. I have no problem getting robben fordish sounds that way (with the mid boost engaged, and rock setting).

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

While in general I prefer low output pickups with any of my amps for my style playing I run everything from vintage strats or LP's with low output pickups to a PRS that has pretty high output pickups and have not experienced ANY noise problems and was able to dial in tones I really like. In fact, the Fuchs TDS especially is one of the quiestest amps I've ever played when screaming hot. As for nailing "the tone" I really can't comment due to the subjectivity of tonal description. But in general what I'm trying to say is the Fuchs works well with high or low output pickups with no noise issues in my experience.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Two things you can try are adjusting the internal gain trim pot and replacing V1 with a 5751 or 12AY7. Roll down the bass and mid pots a bit as well.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yeah, the internal gain pot has a tremendous effect. If that doesn't do it for you, try one of the aforementioned lower gain preamp tubes in V1 and/or V2 (where the overdrive originates).

7. scottl

scottl Member

What speaker are you using??

How old is your Fuchs? Serial #?

Which brand preamp tubes are you using?

Scott

8. Srini

Srini Guest

Agreed. Mike, you recall I went through the exact same issue, same pickups and you helped address the situation. In retrospect, though, the 5751 (the RCAs anyway) thinned out the tone a bit. I didn't really notice it at first because the gain trim pot was set too high fo rmy taste until you backed it off. But when I recently swapped in the Mullard ECC83s in V1 and V2, the amp not only became more agressive, it also sounded a lot fuller with more bottom. I don't know if its because of the higher gain, or just because they're Mullards - but something to keep in mind anyway.

Srini

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

First off, is it an SLX?? My stock Fuchs (pre slx) would not do the really smooth thing until after Scott brought it up to SLX specs. Second, the treble bleed knob in the back is the ENTIRE KEY to getting totally smooth tones with different guitars. Start with the knob all the way off, then slowly turn the knob (while playing) up until all buzz disapears! SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH!!! You can dial out any buzz with any different guitars. I even want to have this knob put on my E.Pro. Its GENIUS! :AOK

The one other thing, put a telefunken smooth plate in VI. That will cut down on gain, and smooth it out even more. Scotts SLX mods completely changed the voice of my Fuchs and brought it into Ford land.
    VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!!
    :RoCkIn

10. scottl

scottl Member

Tag,

You big mouth...... Treble bleed knob?? LOL

11. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

There are many good amp recommendations here, but what about the PU in the guitar? This very reason is why I do not currently have an Anderson of the four I have owned - the PU's were too hot. Love the guitars, love the craftsmanship, great necks good scale options, just liked the sound of other manufacturer's instruments better.

12. Tag

:confused:

13. Tag

Sent you an email. By the way, did you listen to those Rodney Jones clips I sent you? :)

14. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

The serial number on the Fuchs is 0234 so it's not an SLX. Everything is stock on it so the preamp tubes are stock also (Ruby) The speaker is also a stock 12" Eminence.
    I got the Anderson way before I got the Fuchs and I wanted the extra push but now it seems as though the H2+ may be a bit of a hinderance. Especially the noise. I can stand 10ft from the amp with my back turned and still get horrible buzz. Completely disappears with neck PU.

15. Tag

Forget the real smooth tones then. Mine would not do it. A killer amp, but much more roots R&R and roots blues than the real smooth Ford/Dumble thing. Send it to Andy for the SLX mods, and enter smooth heaven. :dude

16. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I have a pre slx50 and slx30, and while I agree that the slx sounds smoother and more sensitive than the pre slx, I CAN get really smooth tones out of the 50, no pbs whatsoever.

Treble bleed knob? Huh? where?

Ahhh...I get it. So, scott, what does that exactly knob do? :D

17. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I have EMG's H/S/S in my Strat and they sound killer through my TDS 50 - a lot of rollable gain, and smooth beyond belief. Although, I have considered getting another Strat with Fralin's in it to warm up the tones a bit - EMG's are a little glassy sounding on the clean side. I think you can dial in your Fuchs to smooth out and get the tone your after...

18. jspax7

jspax7 Member

[Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottl
    Tag,

You big mouth...... Treble bleed knob?? LOL]

I don't have a Trouble Bleed knob!?! Oops.

Mine is an ODS 30 SLX, but apparently not current SLX spec. (specifications subject to change) RWB speaker helps! Voltage regulation too.

I can get a really smooth bridge pickup tone. I almost never set the gain above 12:00, and the OD in at 12:00 also. For that matter, try everyhing at 12:00 first, and make subtle adjustments from there. Roll off the treble (there's that word again) on the guitar slightly, to warm things up.

Remember, Carlton and Ford use set neck, humbucker equipped guitars, and while I like a Strat, my ODS prefers my chambered body Bluesbird with Duncan 59's. I did play an Anderson, and found the bridge pickup very sweet indeed.

12:00 or less on the amp's treble control, (not to be confused with the TBK) is a key to controlling smoothness.

One more thing. Take your amp out to play. It's very different in a live setting than it is at home. (something about the Thurman Munson theory...?)

19. aeolian

aeolian Member

You could try lowering the pickups into the body to get a lower output. I have a 5751 in my amp to lower the gain a bit for my 335.

I am really wondering just what "smooth" means. It's a term often tossed around, especially in relation to Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. When I listen to something like The Pump from No Substitutions, Larry's rig sounds pretty raw. Anybody who's sat in front of Robben's rig at a show will tell you that it cuts though you like a Teppan chef. And having played through Robben's back up Dumble at a clinic, I can tell you that it is anything but soft and warm. A very stiff and unforgiving "professional" grade amplifier.

Is smooth the absense of top end? The absense of bite? Or just the absense of "buzz" or a raw edge? I don't want to roll off the treble. I want the attack, and bite on a note when the musical idea calls for it. A rawer tone where it's appropriate. I can roll off the highs with my hands, which is what Larry and Robben do. It's not a rolled off amp. That's as simple as turning down the presence and treble.

20. scottl

scottl Member

Steve, the bleed is not a rolled off amp... You are assuming things with no clue to what I am doing. You should try one before making judgements. The amp is tuned around using the bleed. No loss of bite. There was no need to slag one of my mods, I was not jumping in here touting it. Tag was. A very happy customer might I add.

Scott