• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pulling a output valve (tube) to lower volume on Hotrod Deville 4x10 HELP!

I have the standard issue with the Deville 4x10 that the volume essentially goes from dead quiet to really loud with minimum turn of the volume knob.

I have read that this can be rectified by changing the type of potentiometer for the volume control (info on this would be appreciated!).

In the old days we used to pull output valves from Marshalls to drop them down a bit, is this possible with a Hotrod Deville? Can I pull one of the 6L6 power valves to lower the output? If so, which valve to pull, and will it inherently change the focus of the sound?

Any help much appreciated people.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
No, you can't do that. You can pull a pair on a 100w Marshall, but you can't pull one tube in yours.

gengis

The easiest way is to put a volume pedal in the effect loop. You can also build a volume box (just a potentiometer connected with an input / output : 5 € ...) that you put in the effect loop.

gengis

The easiest way is to put a volume pedal in the effect loop. You can also build a volume box (just a potentiometer connected with an input / output : 5 € ...) that you put in the effect loop.

markszabo

I have a HRD. And I had the same issues you do.

I changed out the volume pot and put in a nice CTS audio taper pot. That helped a little, but that was not the answer for me.

Then I swapped out the 6L6GCs in the amp for a pair of JJ 6V6S tubes, and rebiased the amp to accommodate them. These tubes, unlike other 6V6 types, can handle 500V on the plates, and the plate voltage in the HRD is 470V at B+, IIRC.

More info here: http://www.justinholton.com/hotrod/bias.html

This mod effectively turns a 60W amp into a 22W amp. It made the volume MUCH more controllable, and when you turn it up....it's pretty awesome. I can say that the changeover did change the tone of the amp - it seems a little darker now, which is fine by me. The amp just kills now. I have not yet done the screen resistor change (470k to 1M) - but I've been using the amp for months like this, playing multiple times per week, and it's not failed.