Pulling my hair out!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bodiex1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Bodiex1

Bodiex1 Supporting Member

So many options!!! I'm looking for my first tube amp, something in the 4-5 watt range. I live in an apartment, can't get evicted. I need something that can sound good at low volumes, doesn't have to have a ton of clean head room, and I don't mind using a pedal to get some overdrive. I just want something that sounds GOOD at low volume levels, I think i've narrowed it down to a vox ac4tv or marshall class 5, also been looking at the new ac4c1, but it hasn't hit stores yet. Budget is around 350.00, and I play mostly 80s rock, some classic rock, and contemporary Christian. I really don't have to option to go play a lot of amps, no one within 70 miles of me carries anything. HELP!!!:bonk

2. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

Class5 has some decent sounds, but the cleans suck. AC4 sounds great clean and throw on a dirt pedal for really gainy stuff and it's a great amp. :) I'd totally go AC4 head+112 cab.

3. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

VHT Special 6 with Tungsol tubes get's my vote.

4. ugameus

ugameus Member

I have found you don't need low wattage to sound good at low volume. I use a Goodsell Super 17 as my main amp and it sounds incredible at low volumes. I understand that is out of your price range. All I am saying is that you shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to 4-5 watts just to stay at a low volume. Hell, I would rather play my plexi style 50 watter at low volumes than my Valve Jr.

I am thinking maybe a used Tweaker. That would be in your price range and is a versatile little amp.

5. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

AC4

or.....

have you considered and Orange AD5? other than having almost zero clean headroom, its got some awesome tone at many volumes.

6. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the VHT Special 6, the Special 6 ultra is in your price range as well IIRC. Sweet well built little amps. Fender-y.

7. Nork

Nork Member

I'm on the VHT wagon. Really can't beat it for the price.

8. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

You know, two mid powered amps have been (by far) the best lower volume amps I've found.

A 60w peavey 5150 combo and a 40w bogner alchemist combo...surprisingly they sound better than any small (7-15w) amp I've tried at low volume.

9. Bodiex1

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I appreicate it. I have looked at some mid wattage amps, particuarly egnater rebel 20, but the head/cab is more than I want to pay. I seen some fender blues jr.s on craigslist local, but I've never played one. Also looked at the tiny terrors, found one of those local for around 350, but then again that leaves me having to buy a cab too. I know its a low budget for a good amp, but then again its what I have to spend, and I want a good amp for my money. Thats why I been pulling my hair out LOL, I'm also a little OCD too. I've looked at the vht, but don't know much about them. Also looked at blackstar and blackheart as well. Thank again for all the good advice.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Super Champ XD Stop go no further till you check it out!!!

11. Bodiex1

I've seen the super champs, but never gave them a try, I've got a mustang II now, and the super champs reminds me of a modeling amp, but I've never played one. Thanks, I'll check one out if possible.

12. Onioner

Onioner Member

Yah, I wouldn't focus on really low watt amps. Some will still be too loud. You need a good master volume. Many higher wattage amps with great MVs can do the low volume thing pretty well.

I'd cross that Class 5 right off your list. That is not a low volume amp. I don't like the thing anyways, but that's irrelevant, as it definitely wouldn't suit your needs.

Your budget is rough though. Honestly, at that range, you're probably better off w/ a SS amp or some modeling gear. Just depends on your needs. It's gonna be hard to find an amp with a great MV and a speaker, and a cab, in that range. If I were you, I'd either save up enough to get a decent tube amp and cab, or settle for a SS amp w/ good modeling capabilities.

Oh, I see you have a modeling amp already... Really, I'd stick with that and save your cash. I'm not sure you're gonna do much better than the Mustang for $350.

Just on the by and by, there's a Phaez Daisycutter in the emporium right now. I have one like it, and it does the low volume thing really, really well. Great classic rock sounds too. It's $450 though, and you'd still need a cab and speaker. Totally worth it, and it blows away any Tiny Terror, but, well... it's your cash. Just sayin'. Great amp, at a great price.

13. Bodiex1

14. Bodiex1

What about Jet City? Anyone out there like these?

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The cool thing about the XD is that it has a number of great sounding voices and semi-fixed presets. All have a vol & master to very the tone of each choice you get. You can use a bigger cab with it and it would scream. But its ability to get great tone at low volumes too make it a real winner. Check the fans of it on the couple of threads floating around at TGP.

16. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I would highly suggest something with a master volume, even if it is low wattage. Check out the Egnater Tweaker combo, its a great amp.

17. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

Super Champ XD on clean channel with pedals is what I use for very low volume playing and it's fantastic - and not big $$$.

18. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

They are more than $350 used but if you can get one a Reason Bambino is kick A$$ little amp for low volume playing..it has a 2/8 watt switch and seems to lose very little on the 2 watt setting at low volumes..it will get loud on the 8 watt setting if you need it to..this one cost me $520 shipped..worth every penny:

[​IMG]

19. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

VHT Special (or Ultra) 6 and be done with it. Your hair will appreciate it.

20. modernp

modernp Member

Vht Ultra it has the attenuator built in so you can get some great tones at lower volumes. My go to for the smaller jams.