Pulling out EMG's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Harry_K, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Harry_K

Harry_K Member

Hi,
    I'm new so please go easy on me.

I have an old charvel that when I bought it had an emg85 in the bridge. I changed it to a Tone Zone I just bought. Do I need to switch, swap the volume and tone pots out? It seems to sound ok (I like it better than the emg anyway) the way it is but I don't think I'm getting the output I should. I've allready checked that it isn't wired out of phase.

I've allready decided to go get 500k pots tomorrow, I'm intrested in what change I should hear?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

Yes you should switch them. EMG's use 25k pots.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Yes, you would absolutely benefit from 500k pots. EMG pots are only 25k, which would significantly reduce the overall output and high frequency response of your Tone Zone.

Are there any other active pickups in the guitar?

4. Harry_K

Harry_K Member

No it has the original single coils in it. They still have the 250k pot on them. I rarely ever switched because of the volume drop.

Honestly I tried to like the emg's it had an 85 then I switched it to an 81. I tried for years to get something good out of them. I gave up. Plus I wanted my other 2 pickups back. The biggest reason was I could never get a sound I liked going from dirty to clean. One side was allways iffy. I really tried.

I'll get the right pots tomorrow. So far even though I'm not getting optimum I'm liking the pickup resonse and it really changed the way I pick compared to the EMG. Not to bash them but they just are not doing it for me.

Think they'll sound good in a franken telly? I have Yamaha copy I bought years ago at a pawn shop. Someone routed it for humbucker - humbucker setup. I'll prob try that and then send it on.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If you want to get fancy, follow this wiring diagram:

[​IMG]

It requires a superswitch (a 5-way switch with multiple terminals for more switching options), but will allow you to have a master volume and separate tone controls for the humbucker and the single coils. The best part is that in position 1 the humbucker will see 500k and in positions 2-5, the single coils will see 250k.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Maybe you would have liked the EMG if it had the correct loom.

7. Harry_K

Harry_K Member

Testing1two - I would like to try that (I've seen some posts browsing the forum on it) but the guitar has 3 mini switches instead of a 5 way.

Eagle1 what do you mean if it had the correct loom? My real issue with the emg was the way it allways seemed to get a nasty compressed tone the more I turned the volume up on it this was fine (sometimes) for heavy stuff but really made clean sounds terrible to try and dial in. I'm open to suggestions.

I appreciate the help guys
    Thank You.

HK

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

By correct loom I mean a full set of appropriate pots and caps.
    I find EMGs in conjunction with other (high impedance) pickups to suffer.
    Good clean tones can easily got with the right settings on your amp .
    Now it's down to personal taste .
    Mark Knophler gets fantastic tones clean and dirty out of his old Pensa Suhr,SA SA 85 .

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Let me say, if you did not have the EMG harness & pots, you missed the whole EMG experience. Are you sure your EMG's are "ACTIVE"? You may have the "PASSIVE" ones which sound good but do not directly compare to "ACTIVE". If you dont have a battery in your guitar harness, you have PASSIVE EMG's.
    Back to sleep now,
    Rob

10. Harry_K

Harry_K Member

I'm sure they were active I checked the pots when I swapped the 85 out for the 81. And they were correct for EMG's 25k. I also tried the 18v mod which made it a little better but I had allready bought the dimarzio and finally decided to put it in. I thiink eagle1 was right about the mix I had going on.

I put the 85 and 81 into the tele copy ( that combo of Tele and 2 Humbuckers just seems wrong to me at least I might play it once in awhile now). It had some generic humbuckers in it and it's an elcheapo guitar anyway. After I get a 3 way switch today I'll have it wired properly and I'll have my Charvel done also.

I'll post what I think when I'm done.

Thanks Rob