• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pulling Power Tubes To Find The Bad One

louderock

Marshall Jubilee 100 watt. Blowing fuses. I suspect that one of the power tubes is bad. So, I understand that I should pull the power tubes and replace them one by one to figure out if one of them causes the fuse to blow. Question is, do I need to completely power off the amp before replacing each tube?

wsaraceni

i always power off my amp when replacing a tube. not sure if it will hurt the amp either way, but i personally dont want to crack a tube and touch the metal bits inside when its on.

TweeDLX

Think of it this way... You probably put the amp on standby when you turn it on, right? Why? So that the power tubes aren't subjected to the full power when they're cold. Plugging in a tube with the power on is like not using standby to warm up the tube. Just a few minutes of your life will increase the life of your tubes.

Mike

Structo

You can do it by switching it into standby. That way only the filament voltage is present.
Be careful, output tubes get very hot!

louderock

I switched out tubes one by one (with the power off). The last one popped the fuse. I replaced the fuse and changed out the tube. All good now. It's working fine. I'm an amp tech now!!!

Rosewood

I switched out tubes one by one (with the power off). The last one popped the fuse. I replaced the fuse and changed out the tube. All good now. It's working fine. I'm an amp tech now!!!
Careful, you'll be buying scopes and meters now that you are tech.:cool:

Trending Topics