Puma Board Owners! How are you wiring underneath?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theHoss, Oct 4, 2006.

1. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am a proud owner of Puma Board #34. My last pedal should arrive this week, and I am going to wire it up this weekend. I will be mounting my PP2 under the board and running the wires up through the board. Also, I will be routing all George L cables underneath. Can any other PB owners give any insight into how I should route the wires and minimize the drilling holes?

Just curious how you guys ran the larger head of the power cables through the board and limited the big gaping holes exposed on the top of the board.

Thanks!

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

You could use rubber grommets to make the holes appear smaller and put less stress on the cables.

3. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Hey Justin,

The cool thing about GL's is that you can put the connector on after you have run the cable through the hole. So you only need a hole big enough for the cable. You'll want to have a little extra length to the cables underneath so you have a little give when you need to plug/unplug a pedal.

Lay your pedals out where you want them with the connectors in if you can. You'll know just where you want your holes then. Using a sharp bit drill from the top. Remember to have the top resting on a back-up board when you drill. This will minimize tear out from the bit exiting the other side.

You can drill the holes for the power supply cables just under the edge of the pedal next to the jack, so the pedal will cover the hole.

Hope this helps a bit.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

You could also solder your own cables and put the ends on after you thread the cable through so the hole only needs to be the diameter of the cable.

5. mild

mild Member

Some great information here... My Pumaboard project has long been way-laid, and is only starting to be embarked on now - so this is good stuff!

Here's my question... How are you Pumaboard owners securing the underside? Have any of you bothered with lids? I'm worried about the underside being exposed...

But I still love my board! Pumaboards are killer!

6. theHoss

theHoss Member

Thanks for all the replies! Look for #34 coming to the pedal board page soon!

Anyone want to guess what's on it?

It is an 18" x 15"

Thanks again!

7. johan

johan Member

So, what's on it? ;)

Just a matter of time before I order a Pumaboard too. If I put my power supply under the board where does the power cable go? Through the top or under the board? The large grommets aren't big enough for European power plugs :(

Wouldn't it be possible to cut two lines in the velcro and do a ½" gap in the plywood for cables etc in case you need to reorganize you board every now and then?

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

On my board I got the AC power plug on the side. I have it wired up to the PP2 patch cord I bought with the board. I was thinking about the velcro overlay option, but I won't be chaging it for a year or so.The whole goal of the board was to become a better guitar player.

1) Get a small board.
    2) Spend some time (way too much time) thinking about the pedal you want that can fit in the smaller space.
    3) Wire it up, stop thinking about the pedals, and practice.

Sounds like a tall order....so wish me luck!

9. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Kevin provides all kinds of options for connecting power. I have the recessed A/C power socket that I need to have wired to my Pedal Power 2 underneath. This way I can just keep an extension cord in my pedal board bag. For now the feet on the pedal boad are high enough so that the power cable can easily run underneath.

Our percussion player took these shots of our new rehearsal space the other night... You can see the space between the floor and the pumaboard....

P.S. You can see that I just run my cables on top.... The Planet Waves cable station kit is bomber. I don't use that many pedals and what I do use will change from time to time. I'm using industrial strength velcro attached to a formica top. Here's the cool thing for others who change around their board... The velcro sticks super well but also pulls off and leaves no residue. By no means does the velcro easily pull off the formica... I lift up a corner with a fingernail and use needle nose plyers to slowly pull the rest off. I don't mount the wah... I throw it in my Studio Slips pedalboard bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

ooo...

so many nice boards.