Pumpkin Pi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bartimaeus, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

I am not a fuzz guy. I once had a Big Muff(V9), but I quickly sold it. I currently have a Fuzz Probe, but I only really use that for crazy sounds, as the fuzz factory's sound as a fuzz can be a little much for me.

However, recently I've been listening to Siamese Dream a bit, and I've been very into the fuzz on that record, especially how it's used(the HUGE rhythm sound in particular).

So I've decided to get a fuzz pedal. The Pumpkin Pi seemed very interesting to me for obvious reasons, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice experience with one. Does it really get that sound? Is it different enough from the others to be worth getting over, say, the SUF Ram's Head, which I've heard some call the best Muff they've ever played. I don't really know about the differences between all of the different Big Muffs, and I'm sure similar questions have been asked before, but I'm wondering specifically about the Pumpkin Pi, which I haven't been able to find too much info on. Thanks in advance!

2. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

get a op amp or whatever those chip type muffs are called. suf makes some i believe as does other clone builders

edit: which is pumpkin pi yeah go with that

3. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

But the thing is, you'll never get that SD sound, ever. I read an interview, somewhere, where Billy said he laid down like 40 tracks--seriously--of the Muff rhythm, one over the other, to get that huge, glorious, wall of Muff.

Don't get me wrong, I love muffs (I built myself a Civil War clone, cause it's got the sound I like best), and I love SD...but you're going to have to settle for in the ballpark, one that is 40 times smaller...so maybe, in the batting cage.

4. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

This...

Butch Vig did some great work on that album, and yes, the guitars were layered like crazy, I think you can get in the ballpark, but it will be tough to cop the exact sound.

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

This. Butch Vig studio magic + many layered tracks.

that said, a Pumpkin Pi into a JCM800 with a strat will get you ballpark.

6. Gatorman352

Gatorman352 Member

Try the Red Witch Fuzz God II Pedal.

Go to Pro Guitar Shop and under Effects / Fuzz watch the Demo of this pedal using a SD tune. Sounds Close to me.

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Check out Prymaxe demo of the M.A.S.F Lavender Head. My jaw dropped on that one.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The Pumpkin Pi is awesome (I've owned it). While it's true you cannot replicate the sound you hear recorded due to the layers of overdubs, and you'll never replicate the live sound since that is more stacks of amps, you will get as "in the ballpark" as possible. The op-amp muffs have a very different texture compared to the others.

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Any SUF Muff should get you in the ballpark. They all sound spectacular. FWIW, I'm not a big fan of the op amp Muff sound. I would get something like the SUF Civil War. Since you're not going to be layering it 40 times live, I think something that generates a wall of sound with one track might be necessary. The Civil War is it.

10. stilwel

stilwel Member

Siamese Dream is one of my favorite albums of all time.
    I just picked up a used Little Big Muff for this very reason. As most have mentioned it's all about multiple layers of Big Muff into JCM800 tones.

Here's what I did with the LBM:
    http://soundcloud.com/stilwel/today-big-muff-sp-cover-mkii

I'm also building an OLC Circuits Whisker Biscuit fuzz that can get a similar type of sound as well.

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_whiskerbiscuit.html

They even do a Pumpkins song for the sound clip!
    http://www.olcircuits.com/audio/olc_whiskerbiscuit.mp3

[​IMG]

11. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

The thickest wall of fuzz ive ever heard was the Skreddy Zero. Its massive!