1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

pumpkins' "everlasting gaze" sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bergman, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bergman

bergman Member

hello guys, i'm currently into alternative MUSE, pumpkins & radiohead stuff a lot, i made a song thats got quite heavy distortion and i'm looking for a sound quite similar to smashing pumpkins' "everlasting gaze"

i know corgan had the craziest setup on machina tours but i was wondering if a i could do it with a pedal combination (thinkin maybe "dist plus chorus plus filter")

i have a 70's polychorus and a line6 fm4 but i cant get there combinig with my fuzz... i need a distortion or a "dist plus comp" that does that punch live

any ideas??
    metal muff??? other suggestions??

Thanx

2. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Skreddy. I think you will you have five other posts saying the same.

3. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

Hey man, I'm a huge smashing pumpkin fan myself. Your not gonna find that sound in a pedal or an amp setup, to be honest. That sound was TOTALLY digitally produced by him in studio. A lot of the "power" in that sound is the distorted bass on the bottom. I know that he used a modded muff called a "creamy dreamer" (skreddy mayo will be fine) a hyper fuzz, and several other sound manipulation processes to get that sound.

Try to find a clip of him playing it live (im sure you could get tons of them off of youtube or limewire) and you'll see the sound live is VERY different from the original sound on the album. If somehow you find out how to reproduce that sound exactly, Let me know, I havent found "THE" pedal for it yet...

Good luck.

4. autopilot

autopilot Member

It's between a skreddy mayo and Effector 13 Torns Peaker

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

any comparisons between the mayo and the byoc ultimate fuzz?

6. Closed Eye

Closed Eye Member

Short of having twenty guitar players on-stage with you there's no way to get that sound as it is.

I'd say to get at least somewhat close buy a pedal that kicks up the bass, retains the note clarity, and does an octave down that can mixed low so it's not so obnoxious. I've picked up an Octavia (Octave/Fuzz) Clone from one of the other boards I go to and it's got this "fat" switch that gets pretty close to that Machina/Everlasting Gaze
    sound.

So...check out any kind of Octavia clone and you may be close.

7. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I would start with a VH4, a very slight octave effect and an eq.

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I do a pretty decent imitation with the Octane III being 3/4 scooped with some buckers and the fuzz at about half, fed into a Skreddy Mayo in the scooped mode with the fuzz up about a quarter... gives me a good solid low-low end, enough definition for chords and some of that crazy octave up goodness.

-TJK

9. bergman

bergman Member

thanks for all the replies, the octave down advice was useful!

i've gotten pretty close now,

i'd love to start with a vh4 haha (my dream amp, bellamy and corgan both use them) but it's serious cash, my amps's fairly clean (ampeg v2) but it's not a problem since it gets preamps/od's/dist so, SO good

i'm using my band buddy's oc2 (1 oct. below), an FM4 in a low pass filter model (not funky, just sort of "filter distortion"), replaced my big muff clone with my buddys almost fuzzed 80's RAT 2 (some mids-scooped with a boss ge7) and finally the polychorus in an "uneffectyish" but slightly thickening sound setting

i found that dialing the exact settings for the filter and RAT was key, and the ge7 was also fundamental to keep clarity and not get muddy in band situation.

i forgot to say i'm currently using a heritage h-150 CM with SD 59's. my paisley MIJ strat didnt sound right here. my cab is a framus 2x12 with one v30 and a g12h heritage currently in a sealed back config.

i'm also thinking of trying an ehx hog with my setup for it's filter and polyoctave capabilities, i'll be trying one this week probably, i'll post the results when i do

10. Closed Eye

Closed Eye Member

I'd be interested in hearing the results!

You should also try to get the "Heavy Metal Machine" sound with that set up!

11. stompbox

stompbox Member

he used quite a rack set up live too.

12. 4nkam

4nkam Member

I think he used a baritone into a fuzz, octave, and into the VH4. Probably more than that but a similar approach should be useful.

mJ

13. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

4nkam is right, there is some definite baritone guitar useage going on there. Billy had some custom baritone SG's built for that album I believe...

14. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

I went on the hunt for that sound awhile back, and I picked up an MJM Foxey fuzz after trying the creamy dreamer, many EH muffs, mayo... and the MJM nailed it totally. I've run it through a Vicky bassman, and a showman through 4x12 V30's. Sounds dead-on to me.

15. RPK

RPK Member

Man im still after a ******** creamy dreamer!!!!

Anyhow what tuning do you guys play this song??

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I sold my creamy dreamer because its a sovtek russian big muff with 2 changed resistors with lots of white paint on the pcb.. no kidding :)

The Closest I've ever come to that sound was the dropped C tunning, into a LP junior with a P90 into these amps with pedals
    Big muff into a jcm 800
    fuzz face into my mesa
    and ran a fender blender and electro harmonix octave multi plexer into a deville
    using a 3 banger to split the signal thrice.

it is heavily processed in the studio all smashing pumpkins stuff is..
    aside the processing, Billy has an impressive collection of vintage, rare, obscure unknown guitar pedals..
    sometimes its just impossible to figure out what the hell the pumpkins are runnin

[​IMG]
    The current Billy corgan tour rack. Theres about $25K worth of stuff before speakers, guitars or cable..

17. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

Anyone know what those 2 little combos are?

18. RPK

RPK Member

Thats not his current setup - I had that same pic on a few years back!

19. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Their crate combos I think.

I'm pretty sure he's running the same setup.

I just saw the same stuff on live earth, and the addition of H&K triamps.

20. RPK

RPK Member

H&K stuff is the other guitarists apparently.

Corgan is using Diezel heads again but added a Bogner. His rack effects appear to be offstage this tour from what I hear