Pumpkins song - effect used?

Zillie

hi guys, I've discovered this (i think awesome) B-side by Smashing Pumpkins recently via this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZgfQYzZGY

i've downloaded the album version and even found some info how this song was recorded and also few tabs and they all say that the delay was used for the main riff (later, there comes delay with the lead guitar) but in the main riff- i definitely hear modulation, maybe it's modulated delay but i think it's flanger but i might be wrong, i'm just a little bit confused... what do you guys think it is?

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Also, you should get The Aeroplane Flies High Box Set, it's great.

Zillie

Also, you should get The Aeroplane Flies High Box Set, it's great.
I got it... haven't heard all the songs but it's nice. I love MCIS and AFH is like part II.

i haven't seen any phasers in Jeff's rig so i thought it was his MXR flanger (which is not as metallic as some other flangers) i agree that it doesn't sound very metallic like flangers do but i'm glad you hear it as a modulation too... i was really confused that all the sources i have say it's delay

Uma Floresta

hi guys, I've discovered this (i think awesome) B-side by Smashing Pumpkins recently via this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZgfQYzZGY

i've downloaded the album version and even found some info how this song was recorded and also few tabs and they all say that the delay was used for the main riff (later, there comes delay with the lead guitar) but in the main riff- i definitely hear modulation, maybe it's modulated delay but i think it's flanger but i might be wrong, i'm just a little bit confused... what do you guys think it is?
Definitely an EHX Small Stone phaser.

Uma Floresta

While that may have been used, there's no definitely about it. I can get that tone with a wide variety of phasers both new and old.
I've never heard a phaser that can get exactly that sound other than a Small Stone, or a clone thereof. IIRC Billy had one of those at that time, too.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I've never heard a phaser that can get exactly that sound other than a Small Stone, or a clone thereof. IIRC Billy had one of those at that time, too.
Well there's a few things that need to be clarified. What time? The time of the performance, or the time of the recording. Furthermore, that's a James song anyway.

Uma Floresta

Well there's a few things that need to be clarified. What time? The time of the performance, or the time of the recording. Furthermore, that's a James song anyway.
Not really. It's a small stone. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It's unmistakable.

mikef1331

One of my favorite Pumpkins songs! When I play it I use a phaser (red witch) & light delay, sometimes even a little reverb for extra atmosphere, sounds great.

dosmun

I remember a pic of them on the front of a guitar mag in the 90's and James had a Small Stone taped to his guitar.

Last edited:

mikef1331

I remember a pic of them on the front of a guitar mag in the 90's and James had a Small Stone duck taped to his guitar.
Small Stone's sound great for this song. I use to have a vintage small stone but it died on me & I ended up replacing it w/ a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. Any phaser that is small stone esq. will get you into pumpkins territory. The pumpkins used small stones alot live & mutron bi phases quite often for recording.

Trending Topics