• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pupgrade:EMG 40DC vs Basslines ASB Blackouts -- which one is better?

Ellery

I am going to upgrade my EMG-HZ soapbar pups to something active. I am looking at EMG 40DC or Seymour Duncan BASSLINES ASB-BO "Blackouts". I am trying to figure out if one is better, or if they are essentially the same thing. The price and description are about the same. I get the impression all EMGs are engineered to sound alike, maybe the SD will yield a unique tone? Maybe not. I also see Aguilar has an active pup. Anybody have experience with these products? The instrument in question is a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, my main stage bass which is downtuned a minor 3rd each string. It already has an active 3-band EQ, which is going to get upgraded to a Darkglass Tone Capsule or an Aguilar OBP-3 (still on the fence there too). I am going for a sound in the neighborhood of metal/hard rock. Any thoughts?

RickC

First off, I'm not a fan of EMGs. Many players love them and many players sound great with them; I would recommend try before you buy if possible. I haven't played the active ASBs but I have played the passive version and they were perhaps my favorite soapbar style bass pickup ever. In general, I've never been disappointed by a Duncan bass pickup, so I'd personally lean that way between these two.

/rick

Last edited:

cardinal

Haven't tried the Duncans. I like the DCs in my Spectors. They are not particularly smooth, but using an active EQ can help for the times you might want that. But for a hard rock bass sound, I think they work well.

About 6 yrs ago I installed a pair of EMG 40P5's in my Schecter Elite-5 along with an OBP-2 preamp which replaced the stock EMG-HZ's and stock preamp. This was a huge upgrade and sounded like a P-bass on steroids. I sold that bass because of its 2-band EQ and little versatility in the mids.

Just under 3 yrs ago I bought my current Schecter (Hellraiser Extreme-5) which came from the factory with a pair of EMG 40TW's installed in it. They have a push/pull coil tap on each p/u. I replaced the stock EMG preamp with a new OBP-3 and since then I've been using this bass for pretty much everything due to the versatility of these electronics.

If you're serious about taking your Schecter Studio-5 to the next level, seriously consider the 40TW's and the OBP-3. You won't regret it.

TD

Last edited:

AdmiralB

The only experience I have with actives - other than the EMG HBs in my Steinberger (which are EMG-P pickups in humbucker case size) is with the 35 series, in Hamer 12-string basses. I've had two, and they came with the 35DCs (same as the 40DC you're looking at, but narrower - the '4-string spacing' version).

I liked them but they were a little 'hi-fi' for my taste, so when they came out with the Ceramic and Steel versions (35CS), I tried those and liked them better - warmer, maybe more 'punch' with less 'bite'?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom