• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PUP's for a ES335

LavaMan

Favorites?

Fralin?
WCR?
Lollar?
Seymour Duncan?
Other?

I have '98 Vintage Burst with stock PUP's that I plan on keeping. I would like to experiment with some different PUP's while keeping the stock ones to put back if needed. I really love this guitar.

Any suggestions?

Deacon

I put a set of Antiquities in a ES-335 I owned, and I had a Heritage H-535 w/ Antiquities in it too.

Both sounded great with those pups.

My current ES-335 is a '59RI with the stock Classic 57's, and I think they sound really good too.

XKnight

Another vote for 57 Classics, although I haven't had an opportunity to try any others in a 335. I also really like the Suhr SSV Humbuckers I have in my 336.

Seegs

I'm kinda on a similar journey and so far I like a set of Holmes low-wind H450s the best...but since they also sound killer in my R8 I got a set of Throbak SLE-limited plus pups to try in my 335...they will go in tomorrow...

I also want to get a set of Rick Norman aka Dr. Vintage Dot pickups which are especially made for 335s...

Chow,
Seegs

mainsale

I have Lollar Lo-winds in this one along with 50's wiring and Hoveland tonecaps. It sounds fabulous!!!!

Oakley

Here are the HBs I've tried in my 335 ranked by my preference. Next I want a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vs.

Seth Lovers
Antiquities
Wolfetone Legends
Harmonic Design
Alnico II Pros
Classic 57s
Pearly Gates
SD 59s
Stock "Tim Shaw PAF Reissues"
SD Jazz neck

You ever changed pickups on a 335? If you haven't, you might wanna rethink swapping them. Gonna need you some beers, about 3 hours of your time, and probably a swear jar to put some money in. :D

straightblues

I have Lollar Imperials in my ES333. They sound really good. They tend to be a little on the bright and clear side if that is what you are into.

Seegs

got the Throbaks Limited Plus (AL5) magnets in my 335 and with a quick tweak of the pup heights I am in serious love...great sounding pickups which has confirmed my suspicion that I like an AL5 pickup in a 335...up until now I have only tried AL2s and even though the Holmes sound stellar I think I prefer these in my 335...creamy smooth with plenty of bite and articulation on the wound stings of the neck pup...turned my 335 into a big fat red tele which is a good thing...

now the problem is that I have to check these out in the R8 and decide what goes where...

Chow,
Seegs

mark norwine

As stated, changing out a 335 is a bitch, so I'd aim for "doing it once, right".

To me, and with that in mind.....it's so hard to go wrong with a pair of Duncan Alinico Pro II's. That's what I'd do.

JimmyR

I have tried Lollar Imperials in my 335 - the regular Imperials, not lo-winds - and the neck pickup is still there. Top be honest I can't hear a lot of difference between it and the stock '57 Classic. But I left it in because (A) it DOES sound sweet and (B) it's a bugger to swap back! But the bridge pickup was just too bland for me. Clear? Yup. Crisp? Yup. Characterful and expressive - nah, not really. I put the '57 back in and while it's not perfect I like it better. The neck pickup is possibly a little more even and less boomy - whatever, it sounds good.

I have played Lollar lo-winds in an Edwards 335 and they sounded pretty similar to the regular Imperials in my Gibson. I like a bit of quack and a slight honk (!) to my 335 bridge pickup along with clarity so they're not the pickups for me. I want the pickup to let me hear the guitar but also add it's own flavour. In the past I have had excellent results with SD Antiquities and Fralin P92s. Lollar does make outstanding Tele pickups though!

Trending Topics