Purchase an attenuator? Or just buy a low wattage tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IceT, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Fryette sent me the info on the LPF cap removal. It is super easy once you get the board out. Which wasn't all that easy but not rocket science either. But I guess some people messed it up so they have stopped providing that. Too bad, it really was easy if you were careful and had some idea on how to work on stuff. Since I have built amps and computers and rack gear, etc, it was pretty simple.

The silent, I did read there was a mod for that, a jumper I think, but since I just plug in my load, it is not an issue. A shorted jack is supposed to work. I do silent recording all the time with it. I actually don't use that with a speaker sim, I actually have been feeding that back into the PS with a speaker attached, when I can make noise, and "reamp" it. Works great, and it takes like 3-4 minutes of noise to get a track, so I can record to my hearts content and then reamp another time. Works great.

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

At home I play this stack with my Fryette Power Station 2. Best tone I ever had.

[​IMG]

scott58, Jerrod, howseth and 2 others like this.
  3. skunx

skunx Member

What overdrive are you using? I use a supro drive with mine at home. Very similar gain character to my supreme. I was going to get an attenuator but have been satisfied with this so far. May pick up a night light in the future.

4. IceT

IceT Member

I've got a Walrus Audio Mayflower (TS ish) a JHS Ruby Red (based off of Supro pre-amps) and a Foxpedal Defector Fuzz (Russian Big Muff).

I really like the way my drives sound going into an edge-of-breakup amp, which is pretty dang loud on the Supreme. I am able to dial in a very similar sound with the Ruby Red, though. I imagine the Supro Drive sounds great through the Supreme!

5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Get a cheap but decent attenuator like the Jet City one. I hardly ever use mine but they can be fun sometimes and are always a nice tool to have in case you ever really need it.

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

7. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

L Pad? can you give me a link to what youre talking about?

im my experience the only good attenuators are so expensive it wouldn't make sense to use w the amps I own.

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

I have a weber mass that makes every amp ive used it with sound terrible, just thought id throw that out there.

oildrops likes this.
  9. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

http://www.tedweber.com/webervst/lpad.htm

They also sell them in kits: Link

10. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

IceT likes this.
  11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Through a speaker? Mine sounds great through a speaker.

12. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Not everyone can afford a brown face Fender.

Patrick

ce24fan likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Tell me about it.

GASing real bad for a Brownface Super, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

14. skunx

skunx Member

LoL

15. michael.e

michael.e Member

I would find a Hotplate or similar.

16. oildrops

oildrops Supporting Member

2 stars!

17. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I'd suggest getting a lower wattage amp. maybe something with 6V6 power tubes and a master volume.

[​IMG]

18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

There's no way to get the feel of even a moderately driven amp in a "bedroom" setting. "Hearing" is a large part of the experience, but so is the physical feel via the guitar and your body. (Extreme ex.: SRV or Hendrix live, vs. recorded and played back. Two different experiences.) So there's always going to be a difference between even moderate live sound and hushed volume. The deal is to get a low volume tone that you love and that perhaps replicates your live tone reasonably well. I have a 50 Watt Mesa Boogie, a 12 watt modded-to-heaven original Pro Junior, and a 1 watt Blackstar HT1. As other have noted, even the 1 watter will get you yelled at in some settings, but the nice thing about the Blackstar is that it has few, but great tonal control to give both very clean and very saturated tones. My 12 watt Pro Junior is my main gigging amp, and is loud as hell even unmiked. The Mesa gets used outdoors, though it does have decent low volume capabilities. I do not own an attenuator, but after the comments here intend to buy one as see how my 12 watter, attenuated, performs.

IceT likes this.
  19. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I bought a Bassman LTD and turn it down to 2.5 at night when the family goes to bed and have no issues. Sounds great too!

I usually run it around 4 on the dial during the day, and a notch louder than that at rehearsals. Always sounds amazing.

I think if you can find an amp that sounds good at all volume levels you have a winner. Will last a lifetime of use in varying situations. Yes, pedals are required, but pedals are fun!

20. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

A nice tube amp with a good Master Volume ... boom ... problem solved forever.

Given all the choices today, why bother with attenuators and all that?