Purchase Deals

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gohabsgo22296, Feb 29, 2012.

1. gohabsgo22296

gohabsgo22296 Member

Hi, I am looking to buy an amp (I know, not necessarily this section, but anyone with the same question can ask here) new, from my local music store for $650, it comes to $750 after taxes (bloody Quebec lol).

The amp is a Peavey Delta Blues.

Anyway, I've spent about $2000-$2500 at this store, not including this purchase. I want to know what you guys think about how much of a deal I should expect.

The store tends to give throw-ins as opposed to knocking down the price, you can also suggest various items that could fit the bill.

Thanks in advance;
    Noah :dude

2. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Looks like MF's price is the same. Are the taxes the same if you get it from them? Shipping would be free in the US, I don't know about to Canada.

They're good amps. If you've played through it and like it, I'd say get it, or look for one used.

(And, yeah, this is actually in the wrong forum.)

3. gohabsgo22296

gohabsgo22296 Member

I'd only save about $30-$40 for U.S. taxes. I could get it shipped in the US, but for that hassle, maybe I should pay the extra money?

That's why I was looking on opinions for gear throw-ins, the value of the throw-in would probably beat the saving off of the taxes, right?

4. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I don't know. What do you need? Good cables aren't cheap. Do they stock good cables?

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hrmm.... those low resale amps... I'd really try to find a used one. I know we're luck down here in terms of used gear prices, but I've seen Delta Blues for $350 used and I've seen Classic 30s for under $250 which is a very, very similar amp. Good luck on your purchase but there's no way I'd be able to buy a new Classic 30 or Delta Blues.

6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

It's a $650 amp. How much of a deal are you expecting here?

7. 57blackback

57blackback Member

Totally agree, great deals on these amps used. Really good amps for the $

8. gohabsgo22296

gohabsgo22296 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The thing about buying used is the rarity of the Delta Blues on the used market.

I want the 15" speaker version, which shows up used even less around here, we see some 2x10", but not the 15"s.

As for cables, the music store stocks cables from: Ashbury, Core One, DigiFlex, Lexes, Planet Waves, Rapco, and Supra. The most expensive one is a Planet Waves PW-20' at $32.

9. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

You could probably find one used (I did mention that in my first post), but you would want to be able to play it first. People like to tinker with tube amps a lot. You'll get a lot of suggestions of other amps in this price range, and there are other good amps in that range.

But, if you've already played through one of those and you like it, you should get a solid amp that hasn't been messed with, and the tubes should last you awhile, being brand new, and you'll have a warranty.

The re-sale value on these is not that good, though.

10. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

...I sometimes get a chuckle around here ( I guess it don't take much to tickle an old guys humor bone LOL)...These are Great amp.s, But, here and in alot of places, When it comes to amp.s, or acoustic 'gits.....everyones just gotta' get that "tough on the resale end though" or " great-----, but, your gonna' lose money on it when you go to sell it", and Hell, you having even bought it yet!!!, Bottom line, smart move to buy this particular amp. new, I'm sure you have checked it out, I to prefer the 15", But, the 2x10 is no sloutch AND what would add to it is later get a 15" ext., and see what a wall of sound you will get!!!....My first BRAND NEW tube amp. was a Classic 50 4x10, and I added the 15" and was awed. Great amp.,Great choice, and congratulations on your buy.,...Tom...

11. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

FWIW, in today's market you are going to lose money on anything you sell after buying new. The less money you spend on a new purchase, the less you can lose at resale. The Delta Blues is a nice amp and it doesn't cost that much, seems like a win-win situation.

12. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Buy it local. Their price is fair, and you support your local business. If everyone bought online, there would be no local music store to try gear out. As long as their prices and service is good, I try to support the local guys.

13. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

The reason, of course, that you never see a used 15" Delta Blues for sale (I got mine in pristine used condition from GC for $425).. is because they're freakin' awesome amps.

14. too many hobbie

too many hobbie Member

This is a pretty good amp for the money. If they carry replacement tubes you could see about getting some preamps thrown in. Tubes aren't cheap and it's nice to have a couple spares on-hand. Covers are also an option if they carry them, probably a 40 or 50 dollar option. I bought mine local and it had to go in for some warranty issues. The local store threw in a couple sets of string just for the hassle when I got it back.
    Enjoy the amp whatever you pay.

15. dlmjr2

dlmjr2 Member

The profit margin for a local store on an amp like that is not that much.
    I wouldnt expect too much since they are already matching MF prices.