Purchased a New Splawn Nitro WOW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robbph37, Nov 7, 2011.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Just wanted to share. I traded my Soldano HR50 plus in on a new Nitro. Awesome head with lots of cool options. I was not a fan of the Qrod at all but the Nitro is almost perfect for the tone that I want. I really liked the Soldano but it did not have the thickness or bottom end that I wanted. The Nitro has a much better effects loop as well. I must say the clean channel is better and really surprised me. Over all I could not be happier with this trade. Tony at GC in Nashville was way cool to me. I was able to set up my Soldano side by side in the same cab (Bogner 2x12) and compare both heads. I did this for well over an hour. Could not ask for a better guy to deal with. The trade was fair. I was shocked as I knew what the Soldano HR was going for these days. Thanks Tony it was a great deal. I have tried almost every head out there that I was ever interested in, well except for a Wizard Modern Classic. I cant imagine a better tone for my style and needs.
    UPDATED 10/24/2013
    After being out of a band for 2 years I am doing a Halloween show this Saturday. Now all this time my Splawn Nitro has sat in my back room played only at very low volumes. So at my first practice Tuesday night I was blown away by the tight, responsive sound of this amp. My goodness I have owned many top amps but I have never been more trusting and comfortable than I am now. We play everything from 40's to 90's music and it does anything that I want. It shines on driven leads and flat out rock riffs. I know this is not everyones cup of tea but I love this amp and cannot see anything out there being better for me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I'm down to a Splawn Nitro or a Fargen Olde 800. Was leaning to the Fargen but, I like the channel switching on the Nitro. Thanks for adding to my gas, now I might need both.

RRC

3. 15round

15round Member

I did not like my QR at all. I want a Nitro though. The QR was very stiff midrangey. I hope they solved that on the Nitro.

4. ronmail65

ronmail65 Silver Supporting Member

As a fan and owner of both Splawn amps and the Fargen Olde 800; I think the Splawn wins in terms of features and flexibility for a hot-rodded Marshall-type gigging amp.

For pure killer vintage Marshall tone, I think the Fargen wins. If you don't need a lot of flexibility in an amp (eg., a second channel, solo boost, OD 1/2), then the Fargen is a great option for gigging as well.

5. big jilm

big jilm Member

I have a Nitro, as well as a Street Rod. I'm a Splawn guy - great tones, very gig friendly.

6. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I could not be happier with the Nitro. I doubt I would have Gage this amp a chance, I am glad GC started this line.

7. slowhand66

slowhand66 Member

Agreed. But I still dig my QR, and the mids can be eq'd. Very versatile for the type of musice I play (80s).

8. RSRD

RSRD Member

Sounds like its along the tonal territtories of a bogner shiva? channel one being a pure and organic clean and channel 2 being an angry marshall tone?

9. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I think it is a little more aggressive than the Shiva but in fairness I did not demo the Shiva that long. i liked it OK but the Xtc was more to my style. I almost purchased the 20th Ann xtc but in the end it was compressed.

10. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Kind of doing an update. I wanted the new to wear off to see if the love affair is real. It is. Wow, the more I tweak and try new settings the better it gets. Best sound that I have ever achieved for what I want. Thick,not muddy, clear notes that have a punch. It makes legato work so much better and more rewarding. I do not have to alternate pick so much because the amp delivers the goods. Clear and precise! I could not be happier with this amp. It would take a monster to replace it. I really do not know how it could be any better for my needs. I have tried every brand out there that I can find except for the Wizard MC. I just can't imagine better tone and control than this. Scott and crew, thank you for this model.

11. RSRD

RSRD Member

thanks for the update. I look forward to tying one out some day. I know what you feel with your amp. I have that same love for my Bogner 20th Ann. Shiva.

12. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Splawn amps are so underrated IMO...

13. ronmail65

:agree110%

Personal preferences about tone / features aside, where else can you get a USA hand-made amp (possible with some customizations, as requested) with high quality tone, components, and comparable features at a comparable Splawn price? Plus, you get great service from a small home-town shop.

I see lots of people comparing Splawn to Shivas, CAE, and others that cost significantly more. Splawn amps are an excellent value in their class. They're one of the best kept secrets in boutique USA made amps. I wish Scott all the success in the world!

14. RSRD

RSRD Member

Splawn Nitros are less then $1500 used? :huh Thats how much Shivas cost these days. I've never seen a Nitro on the used market so I can't comment on how much they are.

15. ronmail65

Actually I was thinking new prices, for which there appears to be a good $700 or more premium for Shivas. Although I've never seriously shopped used Shivas, I just took a quick look on eBay and there is one with a starting bid of $1500 and they go up from there. I don't see anything below $1500. But if $1500 is the typical used price, then they're running at 55% of their new values.

If used Splawns are selling at $1500, that puts them at about 75% of their new value. So I guess Splawns do quite well at maintaining their value too. Another good reason to consider a Splawn.

Not trying to sell Splawns, or bash their competition -- I just think if the tone and features of a Splawn fit your preference as a player, then you are well advised to take a serious look at them.

16. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

I am gassing hard for a street rod head.....think I am going to sell my Emplexador and get one soon.....white tolex with gold piping and a 4 button foot switch......MMMM :)

17. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I rocked the street and quick rod but just did not get on with them as well. great amps but the Nitro just sang to me. I keep expecting to turn it on and suddenly think "That's not what I am looking for" but so far it has not happened. I jammed again this morning and once I get it up to a decent level it is pure tone for me. No amp shopping in my future. With all the options that this one has it is hard to beat.

18. JDW3

JDW3 Member

How does the Nitro compare to the SR?

I played both in a local store and I thought the QR was much more natural sounding than the Nitro. The Nitro is more metallic? Unless I have them backwards in my mind.

Volume wise, the Streetrod is probably more for me, but I didn't get a chance to demo it. Is it like the Quickrod with less gain and volume?

19. ronmail65

I've never played a Nitro, but based on how the amp is advertised / described (tone-wise) I would expect it be more of a modern high gain tone and the Quickrod to be more hard rock / classic rock.

In my opinion, the Streetrod has a little more gain/compression/warmth and certainly less volume than the Quickrod. Very slight difference on the gain/compression/warmth, but it's there. The other difference is that the Streetrod clean channel has a lot less clean headroom. It doesn't have a gain knob like on the Quickrod, but will breakup with volume. It won't get heavy at all, but it will get gritty and jangly.

20. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Good description of the Nitro. It is more of a modern gain type but dial in a few settings and it gives a great 70's-80's rock sound. The lead tone for me is just perfect. thick but very articulate. Last night was first time with the band and it was great. Clean channel still shocks me with the clarity and punch.