Purchased a Pedal for One Reason, Using it for Others

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Michael Clevenger, May 27, 2020.

1. Michael Clevenger

Michael Clevenger Member

I finally got a SA Nemesis delay and have been playing around with it for a few weeks. It ticked off all of my requirements but one thing I really liked was how lush the analog engine was. With that said, I find myself consistently playing through the tape engine.

Has anyone else purchased a pedal with one use in mind and use it for another? What is it? How so?

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I bought a ZOOM MS70CDR to make Whale Sound Toan Poems and ended up using it as a noise gate and octaver. LOL

3. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

I use my SA vertigo as a trem and a lead boost. Those pedals with a neuro hub are so handy.

4. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

Love the Nemesis, I get lost in it for hours. Having the presets really helps when I feel like I favor a certain mode for too long.

Still need to get a switch though, don't like having to bend down all the time to change presets.

5. btjguitarman

Yeah it’s great. I’ve been doing some like ambient soundscape stuff for short film/time lapse soundtracks and discovered a user setting that’s sort of Montreal Assembly Count To Five-esque. That and the warbly old cassette tape setting are so rad for quirky whimsical hipster sounds

6. Tootone

Tootone Member

Boss PS-6

Glorious Detune Chorus.

The pitch shift stuff is also useable, but I find myself switching to Detune frequently when noodling.

Fulltone OCD V2.0... The Marshallesque crunch/dirt is no slouch (why I bought it), but I have discovered the wonders of its Low Gain + High Volume tones... its a real "Wow WTF!" sound.

Boss CP1X... since most of my time is spent playing my valve amps at low volume, I find the Boss CP1X to be excellent at providing natural "Amp Like Compression" at low volumes. To clarify.... pedal compression settings low, but sounds like amp is cooking - all frequencies present. In short - always on, makes low volume amp sound better.

7. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

Boss pedals make great paper weights. Just sayin

8. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

If you feel like experimenting, run the pedal back into itself. I started a thread on doing this recently (with findings from my tinkering). A lot of folks have great feedback in that particular thread.

9. btjguitarman

Oh yeah I saw the beginnings of that thread. I’ll have to give it a shot

10. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I don't want to name names here, so I'll just say that I once purchased a trippy, groovy kinda delay pedal, and came very, very near to using it as a sinker for striped bass fishing in the East River.

11. reprove

reprove Member

I bought a Rainbow Machine for the weird. Ended up using it for the subtle slap back and chorus stuff. Still love all the weird stuff but it is super useful in its unintended purpose.

12. Riffa

Riffa Member

Yeah, only... no.

13. ikan

ikan Member

Been using my Tumnus as a solo boost pedal only.

14. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Zellersasn = Slapback:hide2

"It's reeeally cool, man!"

15. p.j.

p.j. Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Both of these bad-boys have decent vibratos. Who’da thunk?!

16. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

Call me crazy, but buying a delay to use as a delay, then using it as a delay doesn’t really seem to be an entirely different use. The knobs are there for a reason.

Now using a delay as a solo boost, or turning the repeats down and using it as a chorus pedal... those are different purposes.

17. lschwart

lschwart Member

Which user preset gets you that Count to Five sound? I'd like to try it myself.

Louis

18. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

Yes.

Bought a Fulltone deja-vibe to do Hendrix.

Now I'm also using it as a substitute for illegal psychedelic drugs.

stanshall likes this.
  19. Christopher Winkels

Christopher Winkels Member

Not a pedal, but a pretty ancient tabletop BBD delay called a Gemini Echorder. The delay itself is fairly short and not especially memorable, but there is a specific response when you hit the input hard that just adds a dash of magic to any sound. It distorts subtlely but in a most pleasing way.

20. btjguitarman

I think it’s actually called Count To Four. It doesn’t get as wild as a CT5 can but it does the twinkly thing and definitely sounds exactly like a Knobs demo. It’s a community preset.