Purchased guitar - wrong spec advertised

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ChampagneCharlie, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

Hi all,

I've purchased a new guitar from a UK retailer. It came with one fret being far too high but discussed this with the retailer and agreed a partial refund to account for the cost of a local luthier repair. Not good but a good response from the retailer so all OK.

I've just noticed that it's come with a lesser spec than advertised. I bought a ESP LTD but the spec they advertised was the same as the full blown ESP of this model. I've got a plastic moulded nut instead of a bone nut, standard straplocks instead of Schaller ones and LTD locking tuners rather than Sperzel's. Pickups, and bridge are as advertised.

I've e-mailed the retailer again to highlight the discrepancy. Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of the situation and any advice? Would you expect them to send out Schaller straplocks, Sperzel locking tuners and a bone nut to honour the spec which was listed and I bought against?

2. Calebz

Calebz Member

What model did you buy?

3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

You have good buyer protection laws in the UK. I'd suggest returning the guitar, it could be a lower quality guitar, which means the wood and craftsmanship may be poorer than what you paid for.

Jabberwocky and derekd like this.
  4. esowden

esowden Member

If it isn't what you paid for...

Pongo likes this.
  5. 8len8

8len8 Member

This sounds like a non issue unless the retailer fights back on the discount or return.

6. derekd

derekd Member

Sounds like it needs to head back.

Hopefully, lesson learned for the dealer, or perhaps most don't seem to notice.

7. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

8. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I think your choices are to agree to what it's worth and look to settle for that amount or just return it. Since you've already had a partial refund, you might not be able to go back to the well on either front if you purchased online. I'd check that out first.

9. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

Sound like you know that there was an error in their listing. Not sure about the UK but in the USA they will not honor errors in listings like that. If you like it keep it if you don't then return it.

Jabberwocky and ChampagneCharlie like this.
  10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

11. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

Yes, that's how I know they've put the full blown ESP spec against it. Wasn't aware until after the purchase was made, I got the guitar and I tried to use the straplocks….

12. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

Yeah but only figured that out retrospectively. It's not like the parts in question are super expensive - so didn't appear to be an unrealistic spec.

13. Colnago

Colnago Member

I'm betting that there is a disclaimer on their website that would cover errors in the listing. By hitting "purchase" you would have agreed to this disclaimer. If you're unhappy with the guitar, return it and get the better one.

14. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Just to clarify, did you do that before you made the purchase?

15. Colnago

Colnago Member

I think he answered that in the quote?

Markdude and ChampagneCharlie like this.
  16. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

17. Markdude

Markdude Member

They shouldn’t get a free pass for posting the specs of a different model. That’s pretty negligent on their part. I’d definitely try to get an additional partial refund or return it.

ChampagneCharlie likes this.
  18. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

That's sort of my thinking. I'm not expecting a full blown ESP guitar but these relatively minor things added to the appeal and were a factor in my purchase. I'm not suggesting they've done a bait and switch - I'm sure it's human error.

19. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

As a business I would not send out the parts. I'd offer to bring the price down to what the lower spec guitar sells for (minus the fret credit). Or a return, including return shipping.

20. Markdude

Markdude Member

I believe the OP did pay the correct price for the lower spec model... it’s just that the product listing showed the specs for the higher spec, more expensive model. So the OP isn’t necessarily being overcharged, but the business still engaged in false advertising because of their negligence. They advertised different specs than that of the actual product.

twinrider1 likes this.