Purchased guitar - wrong spec advertised

Hi all,

I've purchased a new guitar from a UK retailer. It came with one fret being far too high but discussed this with the retailer and agreed a partial refund to account for the cost of a local luthier repair. Not good but a good response from the retailer so all OK.

I've just noticed that it's come with a lesser spec than advertised. I bought a ESP LTD but the spec they advertised was the same as the full blown ESP of this model. I've got a plastic moulded nut instead of a bone nut, standard straplocks instead of Schaller ones and LTD locking tuners rather than Sperzel's. Pickups, and bridge are as advertised.

I've e-mailed the retailer again to highlight the discrepancy. Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of the situation and any advice? Would you expect them to send out Schaller straplocks, Sperzel locking tuners and a bone nut to honour the spec which was listed and I bought against?

Jimmy_Rage

Hi all,

I've purchased a new guitar from a UK retailer. It came with one fret being far too high but discussed this with the retailer and agreed a partial refund to account for the cost of a local luthier repair. Not good but a good response from the retailer so all OK.

I've just noticed that it's come with a lesser spec than advertised. I bought a ESP LTD but the spec they advertised was the same as the full blown ESP of this model. I've got a plastic moulded nut instead of a bone nut, standard straplocks instead of Schaller ones and LTD locking tuners rather than Sperzel's. Pickups, and bridge are as advertised.

I've e-mailed the retailer again to highlight the discrepancy. Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of the situation and any advice? Would you expect them to send out Schaller straplocks, Sperzel locking tuners and a bone nut to honour the spec which was listed and I bought against?
You have good buyer protection laws in the UK. I'd suggest returning the guitar, it could be a lower quality guitar, which means the wood and craftsmanship may be poorer than what you paid for.

8len8

Supporting Member
This sounds like a non issue unless the retailer fights back on the discount or return.

derekd

Supporting Member
Sounds like it needs to head back.

Hopefully, lesson learned for the dealer, or perhaps most don't seem to notice.

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
I think your choices are to agree to what it's worth and look to settle for that amount or just return it. Since you've already had a partial refund, you might not be able to go back to the well on either front if you purchased online. I'd check that out first.

Sound like you know that there was an error in their listing. Not sure about the UK but in the USA they will not honor errors in listings like that. If you like it keep it if you don't then return it.
Yeah but only figured that out retrospectively. It's not like the parts in question are super expensive - so didn't appear to be an unrealistic spec.

Colnago

I'm betting that there is a disclaimer on their website that would cover errors in the listing. By hitting "purchase" you would have agreed to this disclaimer. If you're unhappy with the guitar, return it and get the better one.

Markdude

They shouldn’t get a free pass for posting the specs of a different model. That’s pretty negligent on their part. I’d definitely try to get an additional partial refund or return it.

They shouldn’t get a free pass for posting the specs of a different model. That’s pretty negligent on their part. I’d definitely try to get an additional partial refund or return it.
That's sort of my thinking. I'm not expecting a full blown ESP guitar but these relatively minor things added to the appeal and were a factor in my purchase. I'm not suggesting they've done a bait and switch - I'm sure it's human error.

twinrider1

As a business I would not send out the parts. I'd offer to bring the price down to what the lower spec guitar sells for (minus the fret credit). Or a return, including return shipping.

Markdude

As a business I would not send out the parts. I'd offer to bring the price down to what the lower spec guitar sells for (minus the fret credit). Or a return, including return shipping.
I believe the OP did pay the correct price for the lower spec model... it’s just that the product listing showed the specs for the higher spec, more expensive model. So the OP isn’t necessarily being overcharged, but the business still engaged in false advertising because of their negligence. They advertised different specs than that of the actual product.

Trending Topics