Purchased guitar - wrong spec advertised

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ChampagneCharlie, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

Exactly! I got it at a great price - just not the spec I expected to receive. I'd be happy to have a refund to the price of the missing parts.

2. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

This happened to me last year with Music Zoo. One of my CS strats had a different neck spec. It was supposed to be thinner as indicated and a different finish on the neck. It is a pretty beefy neck. Also, being a reverse headstock, they did the logo incorrectly and the CS logo is upside down as well.

In any case, I could have balked at it and sent it back, but as it turns out, it is a pretty awesome guitar and I decided to just keep it and enjoy the heck out of it. Out of all of mine, it has the most sustain and clarity. It was just meant to be.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

UK consumer laws allow you to return it within 30 days with no questions asked, I understand. Just return it.

In my opinion the dealer doesn't owe you a "rebate" on the misspecified parts unless he wishes to as a gesture of goodwill. By that, I mean that you cannot use them as leverage as there was no bait and switch nor intent to mislead. If you had paid the going street price for the same model-I am not familiar with this ESP model- that is properly specified then I may say that you are in fact trying to take advantage of the retailer and his ad typos. That is unethical, in my book.

If I were the retailer I would offer you a bone nut and the Schaller straplocks out of good will but I may not offer you the Sperzels as those cost a lot. And for that Snakebyte you bought, it could be much of the profit margin.

No harm in asking though. Typos happen in online ads. If the retailer has not met his specifications in the ad a complete refund upon the return of the guitar is a fair act. Insisting-not implying that you are insisting so- that the value of the misspecified parts be refunded is not a fair one unless the retailer wishes to refund. You may request though but not insist on it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  4. ChampagneCharlie

ChampagneCharlie Member

I take your point and I'm not trying to take advantage - I'm bummed that I didn't get the spec I went for.

These aren't typo's - they are the spec of a different guitar. Laziness is the culprit here.

5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

No implication at all that you were trying to take advantage of the retailer. Just talking at large. Please do not take offence.

ChampagneCharlie likes this.