Purchased the black line drip edge pro reverb- now some questions...

theyre coming theyre coming

Silver Supporting Member
for all those who helped me decide whether or not to get my pro reverb over the weekend- thank you for your time! I'm loving this guy- so much so that I think I'm going to put my tone king imperial on the market. The only thing stopping me is that the imperial is dead quiet, which comes in handy when I'm recording (which is all I do nowadays- no gigging at this time- just work, and raising 3 boys under 5 years old). The pro reverb, however, has some baseline noise. It's not crazy noise, when in playing it quietly I only notice it if I want to, otherwise all I notice is how much I love the sound. I don't notice it at all when playing with a little volume. I haven't had it serviced at all yet, but I think I found a guy- at a shop called Bentley guitars in kc here.

So my questions- will the amp possibly be dead or very quiet after it gets serviced, or is a little noise just part of having a vintage amp usually?

Also- anyone from Kansas City out there who might know if Bentley guitars is a good place, or know of another tech that won't mess things up?

Thanks

Brien

My Pro Rev has a little more noise than a smaller Fender like my Deluxe. Only noticeable when playing at very low volumes in a quiet invironment.

Two Steps

Silver Supporting Member
Did you fiddle with the grounding switch on the back? Also make sure that the 3 prong is actually grounded and not just done for show.

Its hard for me to make an opinion as I play single coils and I hum everywhere...I know you didn't hum with your Tone King so that is good to know re: single coils and Tone King amps...

swiveltung

Unplug the reverb tank wires... if the noise stops it's likely in that circuit or tubes. There are a lot of potential culprits, but that's an easy one. Where is the volume set? at 3 it should be pretty quiet.

theyre coming theyre coming

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the little bit of noise is there from the moment the amp heats up- it doesn't seem to really get much louder if I turn it up, and I don't need to even be plugged in- it's just always there. The only reason it gives me any bother is if I record it, otherwise it's not enough that I mind it at all. I'll give the reverb wires a try. Thanks guys!