Pure 64 1x12 Cabinet - Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ken, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I received the Pure 64 1x12 ported Cabinet with the Silver series speaker back in mid January. The cab is very well made with smooth black tolex. Construction is A+ and comes with very nice rubber feet. The rubber feet are big and sturdy. The cab only weighs in at 33 lbs, but don’t let the light weight and smaller cab size fool you, don’t always think that bigger is always better, because if you do, you are in for a surprise with this cabinet. I have been testing the cab out in different playing environments along with a few different amps. A few gigs at different places, at home and at band rehearsal. The main amp I have been using is a Heritage Colonial with EL34’s.

The other guitarist in my band and I got the chance to try out the cab with several different configurations. The cab worked very well with all the amps. Some it worked better than with others, but there was not an issue with any of them.

Into a Bogner Shiva, the cab gave a nice warm clean sparkle and solid crunch, but it did lack the bigger bottom of the Bogner oversized 2x12 cab. Of course, this is an apples to oranges comparison, but I would have no problem using the Pure 64 cab into the Shiva where you don’t really need the big Bogner 2x12.

The biggest sound actually came when we plugged into a modded Deluxe Reverb and used the 1x12 cab as an extension. Using both the Pure 64 cab and the speaker in the DR, The sound was Hugh. If you want to run an extension cab with your Deluxe Reverb, this cab will be the answer and then some!

Using the Pure64 1x12 cab into my beloved Colonial has been a real treat. I really liked the Heritage 2x12 cab I have been using with G12H30 speakers, but after letting the Pure64 cab speaker break in over about a month of playing, I did a good comparative of both cabs and there is no doubt I really like the tone much better on the Pure 64 Cab.

Mark told me before I bought the Cab, that the Silver series speaker is based on the G12-65 but with a tighter bottom end and an expanded frequency response on the high end. His explanation is right on the money. Honestly this is one great speaker and when word gets out, he could sell a gazillion of these speakers alone!

All in all, it’s a great 1x12 cabinet and a great speaker. I would love for Mark to design an open back cab too.

2. T2tele

T2tele Member

Hey Ken,

Nice review! I have one of Mark's 1x12's with the Silver speaker, and it is a killer sounding cab/speaker combo. It sounds great with any amp I've run into it, from my Two-Rock Kimock, to my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe... and of course with the Mean Street 2x6v6. I'm looking foreword to trying two of these in stereo. My friend Russ Reiser (rreiser), runs two of the Pure Sixty-Four 1x12's on his live gigs, and he say's that it Pure tone heaven!

I know that Mark worked a long time developing his 1x12 and 2x12 cabinets, I look foreword to checking out one of the 2x12's in the near future!!

T2

3. Ken

Ken Member

You know these speakers are great...Very balanced and not too bright but they carry the hi frequency chime quite well, while retaining the tight bottom, along with a strong mid range.

4. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

If you think that's good... wait until you hear it with a Sixty Four amp. Amazing. Sounds huge like a great 2 x 12.

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Are the Silver Series speakers you're talking about something new, or are they the old Silver Series Celestions?

6. dspblues

These are Pure Sixty-Four special design speakers.

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

8. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Another vote for the Pure Sixty Four 1x12 cab!
    Like dspblues said "wait until you hear it with a Pure Sixty Four amp".
    I recently got a Pure Sixty Four Mean Street and it is just simply an amazing tone machine,
    hook it up with Marks Pure Sixty Four 1x12 cab and the cab and head are a perfect match together.
    Congratulations and nice review...

9. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Amazing tone machine sums it up. I have two 1x12 cabs and have been running them together and I have never, I mean never heard a better tone / sound. I have been running them through my Mean Street Classic, and the Mean Street with 6L6's.One cabinet is amazing, but two together HOLY $hit! The cool thing is that these cabs have made every other amp sound so much better. I have tried serval different cabinets and I hate to say it, but this one is the best. Mark has his stuff going on, if you have not checked it out you owe it to yourself. :AOK

10. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the cab with an Austin 70hz speaker?

11. ryhlick

It is amazing. I have been running the Austin Speaker 70hz with his 1x12 cab into the Mean Street Classic. It is pure tone heaven.:AOK

12. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Have you ever tried it with the 6L6 version?

13. ryhlick

I have and I do regularly, I own one of the first Mean Street's # 13. It works very well with this amp and has some serious mojo going on. I also have the silver series speaker and that is equally as good in a slightly different way.

14. Ken

Ken Member

OK, I'll bite :p What is the Austin 70hz speaker?

15. RossN

RossN Supporting Member

THE best 1x12 I've every tried. I use it with a Pure 64 Meanstreet and it kills.

16. dspblues

17. Ken

Ken Member

Thanks...Interesting...

The way that Austin speaker is described in that thread, it sounds just like the same Pure64 Silver series speaker that I have in my 1x12 cab. What are the differences?

18. dspblues

From what I understand, the Austin speaker is a little darker and rounder sounding with a smoother break up. The 64 speaker is a little brighter and punchier.

19. bobotwt

bobotwt Member

What is the speaker wattage rating and load of the 1x12?

Josh

20. dspblues

You might want to give Mark a call for details.