Pure 64 Mean Street Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ryhlick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Pure 64 Mean Street Classic:

I have had this amp for about a month and wanted to write a review. This is the Mean Street Classic by Pure 64 and is powered by a pair of 6v6 power tubes. I have had the good fortune of being able to sample some of the finest 6v6 20-25 watt amps being made.(IMHO) I have had the chance to A / B most of them and have hung on to the ones that suite me and my style best. I play mostly clean or with very light OD and use a strat or a tele. I have to say that I am blown away with this amp and his 1x12 cabinet. It has the nicest feel of any amp I have tried to date, and the list is long. The tone of this amp is amazing; it has the deluxe reverb vibe and then can go places a deluxe can not go. It has the sweetest 6v6 growl that just sings, and if you dig in it will make you smile even more. It has plenty of headroom and sits perfectly in the mix without getting lost. It has the right amount of bottom end and a treble that is present and smooth without ever getting harsh. It has a mid bloom that I have never experienced in any other amp that just sings and swirls. With the curve switch you are able to get some other amazing tones. Put it in the first position and you have the most wonderful blackface tone and switch it up to 2, 3, 4, 5 and it will blow you away. This is a very versatile single channel amp that very well may be the most pedal friendly amp I have experienced. It will go from a polished blackface style cleans to a full juicy fat tone with a twist of the dial. It also sounds great at very low home volumes and gives up the goods at higher volumes. I do not often write lengthy reviews, but after playing and experiencing this amp I felt compelled too. There are a lot of great amps and different flavors out there, but if you want a great amp that sounds so amazing you own it to yourself to check out one of the Pure 64 amps. The service you get will be second to none and if you have questions or an issue Mark will get you taken care of. Anyway, sorry to ramble on I thought I would share my .02.
    Enjoy!

2. trap

trap Supporting Member

thanks for the review. how bout some clips?

3. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Love My Mean St.
    It works as discribed,and yes the curve sw. is outstanding tone shaper!
    And changing power and preamp tubes make tone changes that can be heard.
    Loves NOS preamp tubes

4. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Encore...

I just picked up a Pure '64 (6L6) head and 1X12 cab from Mark last week. I have owned/played my fair share of fine amps in my 50+ years, but this one seems to be in a class all by itself. Just a fantastic amp/cab, and with the curve switch and "mean street" switch, you can dial in some beautiful tonal variations. I look forward to hearing how sweet she gets once it breaks in.

Net, I think Mark has designed and built something that is truly distinctive. It has been a long time since I have been so inspired.

More, later...

5. ryhlick

Trap,
    Sorry I do not have any way to record clips.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Another great amp I'd like to try someday. That and Louis Electric, Blueverb, Gries,.....

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Yep, the 64 stuff rules. Thanks Mark!!

8. joemesser

joemesser Member

Thanks a lot for the review, Rhylick. That sounds sooo great. I'm saving my pennies now for either a Pure '64 Meanstreet, or the Meanstreet Classic, plus cab. Do you have the 6L6 version as well, or just the Classic? Or have you had the chance to compare them?

I'm really curious how well the Classic can stay clean keeping up with a drummer? Have you had a chance to find out? The 6V6's and only 20W makes me believe that you'd be pretty dirty, even on the first curve switch, once you get it loud enough to keep up with plenty of punch. But both you and Mark say there's lots of clean headroom. How much is lots?

9. ryhlick

The Mean Street Classic has plenty of clean headroom to hang with a drummer. I do not know how Mark does it, but it is a very robust 20 watts that sounds so good at low volumes and even better as the volume goes up. Most importantly his amps have the feel, wether you use your fingers or a pick. All I can say is his amp has sidelined some really great sounding and great feeling amps. l also have the 6L6 model it is the older version that I traded a fellow member for. Volume wise the 40 watt version is only slightly louder. The big difference is the tubes, he keeps all the 6v6 mojo in the classic and the 6l6 is equally as good. The 6L6 model is like the best super reverb with Mark's mojo on it. It feels great and plays so easy. Both amps you just forget about the amp and just enjoy your tone and playing. If I had to pick one for me it would be tough, but I would probably stay with the Mean Street Classic as I really like the character and tone of the 6V6. Both amps will keep you smiling for years to come.

10. TRW

TRW Member

Brad how did you feel the P64 compared to the Blueverb?

Cheers
    -T

11. ryhlick

TRW,
    That is a loaded question, but I will answer honestly.
    Favorably, the Pure 64 has a better feel and while they both sound great I have to give the nod to the Mean Street Classic.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

'Breaks in'? Note to MinuteMan....Ya gotta turn it up past 5 for a good spell to get it to break in. Doesn't your wife forbid that? :eek:

13. joemesser

joemesser Member

Thanks again, Rhylick. That's really helpful. Sounds like it will be a tough choice, but I'll have plenty of time to think about it and talk to Mark some more before I'll have the money saved.

14. TRW

TRW Member

Hey thanks for the reply - sorry I didn't mean it in a loaded way. Was just curious - the Pure64 was high on my radar when I picked the BV.

The clips of the Pure64 sound awesome. Had I not ahve wanted reverb and tremolo I may have swung that way too!
    -T

15. Swampash

Swampash Member

Ryhlick,

Have you had a chance to take it out on tour yet?

IIRC, your soundman loved the 6L6 Pure Sixty-four...I'm wondering what his thoughts are on this version?

16. ryhlick

Swampash,
    I am not a touring musician, but regularly jam with others. I do have to say it does sit very well in the mix and you can fatten it up or lean it out with the curve switch. It will cope a blackface tone so well in the first curve setting and then give you fatter tone as you move the switch up. Saying that in no way is the tone lean, it is just so good and satisfying. I have had it next to some other great amps and it came out on top for my style and playing.

17. TRW

TRW Member

Thanks for the info regarding BV vs P64...

T

18. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Brad, sounds like a great amp!!! can you compare the Pure 64 to a Cowtipper 22 and a Swart AST? I know you have had both of those and just curious how the P64 compares in its range of sounds...

Eric

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a nice amp!

I will have a 2x6L6 "The 64" in my possession in about a week. Looking forward to it! I anticipate that the curve switch will be to my liking.

I'll also be getting a Bruno UG30 in at the same time, so I'll do a mini-ampfest along with my Tone King Meteor II and treat y'all to a little review of my findings.

20. ryhlick

Peter,
    You SL_T :horse I thought I was bad, you are taking it to a new level :) What a line up of gear you are going to have, I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Are you going to have one of Mark's cabinets to use as well? If you can get one they sure sure mate well with his amp. Ironicly, I liked his cabinet and the silver series speaker best with my UG30. Did you get it new or used?
    Enjoy, Brad