Pure 64 Meanstreet review after 3 months. (long post)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glowing Tubes, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Pure 64 Meanstreet Classic 6V6 w 1x12 speaker cab loaded with Austone speaker

I’ve had this amp for about 3 months now and wanted to get passed the “honeymoon” phase before giving my thoughts on the amp.

In my search for an amp I had a lot of considerations, obviously tone was on top of the list but things like weight and size i.e. portability were also factors. I’ve gotten tired of hauling heavy gear to and from rehearsal/gigs.

I have contacted several great builders who frequent TGP and have been impressed with all of them. A lot of really talented people here. When I spoke to Mark (Pure 64 builder) there was a passion that really caught my attention. This man is so passionate about his product and after a couple conversations, I knew I found my builder.

Like many of my fellow musicians, I’ve been through a stupid amount of gear and in amps, I’ve owned or tried many of the top names in builders we frequently discuss here. Some suited my needs better than others. Most are just great amps.

I got my Pure 64 Meanstreet classic and spent a couple days with it. To be honest, it didn’t sound right, while there was still a great depth to the amp, it did not bowl me over. I spoke to Mark about it, he immediately knew something was wrong with the amp and made it his priority to get my amp sounding the way it was supposed to sound and assured me he would not rest until I was happy with the amp. Long story short, it was a tube problem and once we got that settled the amp sounded as it should. Which is really quite excellent.

A very simple format non-master volume with a curve switch, treble, mid, bass and reverb.
    One of the first things I noticed when I turned the amp on is the depth and ample low end it has. So much so, you have to look twice at the cabinet because you’ve never heard anything like this from a 1x12 cab. Very easy to dial in the right amount of bass with the simple layout of the amp. Adjusting the mid allows me to find the “sweet spot” within what I’d have to describe as nearly all sweet spot as the amp really sounds great in pretty much any setting I’ve tried. The highs remain clear and smooth and the overall sound has a great separation of lows, mids and highs that really blend to create a very pleasing to the ear sound. The adjustments are subtle yet really provide a good sweep when working with different guitars. Bright switch adds extra chime and sparkle.

Another thing I noticed is how clean this amp is. How a 20 watt amp can have this much clean headroom is astounding. The amp remains very clear and clean up to about 12:00 on the volume, starts a warm smooth breakup beyond that but retains that clear character even when cranked. Notes are articulate and warm and cut through the mix very well when playing in a band situation. The amp really reacts to your playing and captures all those little nuances that have been washed over in my other previous amps.

The curve switch is a great tone tool and really gets you from Fender territory to Marshall territory (only vastly improved). I’ve found my spot in the 2nd and 3rd clicks but depending on my musical situation, I feel I can cover most sonic territory that I need with this simple dial.

I am using several different pedals with the amp, it takes pedals very well but the irony is that some of my old standby pedals were moved off my board with this amp. I used to run a BJF comp but find it is not necessary anymore, same with my EQ/buffer pedal. I’m using a few drive pedals for options at lower volumes but when I get the amp cranked, they are no longer necessary. This amp is LOUD and will handle most any stage situation. I’ve played several outdoor gigs already and have been plenty loud with the volume around 10:00 - 11:00.

I’ve heard the term “3-D sound” before and never really understood what anybody meant by it. Now I do. Basically the amp fills the room with so much sound it can be difficult to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. This amp really does that. The 1 x12 cab is simply brilliant. It’s voiced specifically for the Meanstreet head. No more searching for that perfect amp/speaker combo.

Overall I’d give this amp a 10 out of 10 for tone and quality and I’d give Mark a 10 in customer service as well. I’d put it up against amps costing twice as much. Worth every penny and then many more.

Thanks Mark for a phenomenal sounding amp.

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Nice review Richard.

Glad you found a great amp!!!

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Richard,
    I am glad it is working for! It is the BEST amp I have played through, and the list is long. A big thumbs up to Mark for making such a great amp. :AOK

4. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Glad to hear you are diggin the Pure 64. I am loving mine, it is the best amp I have ever played on. I can't wait to record with it! :AOK

5. Glowing Tubes

I've got a studio gig next week, I'll see if I can snag a couple clips to post when they are done mixing.

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your Pure Sixty Four Meanstreet and a very good review indeed!
    I'm waiting to get my "Mean Street" that has been modded with the Ratio Boost Control and some other cool tweaks... It should be here soon!

7. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Very Cool! I'll be watching for that....and here's to your having great fun doing it.:BEER

8. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Sorry about the tube!

Thanks Rich...happy to see you're happy with the amp!

9. d7music

d7music Member

Hey Richard!
    Where are those studio clips?!?

10. Glowing Tubes

Studio next week! Cant wait.

11. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

send me the clip and I'll put it up on the web page!

12. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Richard,

I'm still waiting for those clips to put up on the Pure Sixty Four site.

Send em and I'll get them up!

Mark.

13. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

14. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

these amps are bad ass for sure. :)

15. gweeterman1

gweeterman1 Supporting Member

great review! i cant' agree more glowing tubes. i love mine and really look forward to any gig i take it on. and like you said it is plenty loud for most situations. i set the curve at 12:00 and vol. at 2:00 and go using my guitar vol. for clean and a slight boost for over the top stuff.
    anyway what great amps. also don't mean to hike but just a shot out to everyone, mark is sending my pure sixty four dual el84 combo out hopefully this week! yeah!!!

16. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Rich,

Give me a call...please?

Mark.

17. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Just chiming in here! I purchased a used Mean Street 20 watt 6V6 amp here on TGP recently. I had it shipped directly to Mark. We had a long phone conversation yesterday and Mark is in the process of completely going through the amp and voicing it based on our conversation. I've also ordered, on Mark's recommendation, a custom-made 1X12 cab with an ASW KTS-70 speaker as Mark voices his amps with that speaker. He states that it is THE speaker for that amp...and who am I to argue?! GREAT guy and extremely passionate about his amps. Because he is out of the older balck tolex, he offered to re-cover my head in the new dark green tolex so that it is a matched set with my new 1X12. Of course I'm going for it! What a fantastic experience I'm having with Pure 64 so far. Can't wait to receive the amp and start playing through it! Thanks Mark!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  18. Glowing Tubes

Mark is a great guy. Still my main amp, love it.

19. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I sounds like you just reviewed my amp!
    Only I have a first generation mean street 2-6l6 50 watter.
    Enormous headroom. Sparkly cleans. Punchy bottom end.
    Sounds like a Fender Twin on 7.

So tell me, is your model all clean? When does it break up and to what degree?

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

doesn't seem to be a way to get beyond the main page of the pure64 web site?