Pure 64 - Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zoooombiex, Mar 3, 2008.

1. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I originally ran my Mean Street through some G12-65s, which are sort of my go-to speaker. Amp sounded nice, very chimey and warm. Then I ran I it through a Gold/G12H Heritage mix and it really came to life (IMO ... I'm running it with the Curve all the way clockwise, so the most JTM-like tones). Yet another reminder how much a difference speakers can make...

So out of curiosity, what speakers are people using with the Pure 64 Mean Street?

2. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have a Pure Sixty 1x12 cab. I got it from Mark a couple of months ago and it's an amazing sounding cab. Sounds really huge and full for its little size.
    Highly recommended!

3. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

I am using my Pure '64 (6L6 head) with Mark's 1X12 cab. It sounds fantastic.

Note: My other amp is an Vox AC30 HW (made in England).

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

am I correct in assuming Mark's speakers come in his cabs?

anyone have experience with any other speakers?

5. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I think that is the only way he sells them. I have a cab with his Silver series speaker in it and it sounds so good with his 6l6 head. The funny thing is that when I had my UG 30 that cabinet was the best match I found and I tried a bunch of speakers. That cab also sounds great with every other amp I have played through it, from his own, bruno's, fargen, suhr, swart sst, and a few others. I have tried several different speakers in them for curiousity sake and it seems to make every one sound great. I have one running a austin speaker works one and another with his silver series. If you get a chance check one out or just get one, you will love it.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Interesting ... came across an old thread of mine. I owned two of these heads a while back and liked them but they didn't stick and my tastes evolved towards Dumble-ish and then Vox-ish ends.

Now I once again have a different Pure 64 head (still 50 watts) and my tastes have come back aground to more Fendery tones. I'm running it on Click #3 through a hard truckers cab with Scumback 12-65s. Sounds stunning. Sounds pretty good through Celestion 12-65s too. Funny how it comes full circle.

I had one of Mark's cabs a while back and it had a very big sound and nice projection for such a small box. I'm just one of those open back no matter what people I guess, as I always gravitate back to them...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I have two of Mark's 2x12's that I use with my 50 & 100 watters and absolutely love them. I to use to be an open back die hard. These cabs sound so huge.

Even tho I have two MS's, I thought about buying yours for modding purposes. Glad you are digging it again.

8. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Chris,

The Silver Series-II speaker was developed over a period of 18 months to production. The Silver Series-II is designed to be the "perfect fit" for the Pure Sixty Four Twin Port 1x12 and sound best in conjunction with Pure Sixty Four amplifiers that run 6L6 and 6550 tubes. The Silver Series-II speaker was modeled after my favorite 12-65 but has a much tighter low end than any 12-65. The Silver Series-II has more punch than a 12-65, slightly more focused with a top end that is warm and has less "SSSSSSSSSSSS" to the high frequencies and sits well with many amplifiers, not just Pure Sixty Four Amps...from what I have been told.

Have you ever heard a Mean Street or 64 amp with a Silver Series-II installed in your cabinet?

If not...you're missing a integral part of the package.

Hope this helps.

9. joemesser

joemesser Member

I second that emotion

10. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

For the 6V6 based Pure 64 amps Mark makes, he recommends either the Silver series II or the Austin speakerworks which is what I have in my 1x12 for the meanstreet 30W. The Nytro II I use the silver series II.

11. JVL

JVL Member

I recently purchased a 6V6 Mean Street Classic from Mark and can attest that the Austin Speaker Works is a perfect match. I believe mine is a KTS-70. It's like the fullness of a 4x12 in a 1x12 cabinet, but richer and more alive than any speaker/cabinet combination I have ever played. I have not played a single gig since buying this rig without someone coming up afterwards to comment on my tone and ask me about my amp. Most of the time its the sound guy, which is way ironic! Its funny - they give me crap during soundcheck for my playing too loud, but at the end of the night tell me how great it sounds and how easy it is to work with. They're perfectly happy with bringing me down in the mains and letting the amp work (and this has happened in some fairly large club venues). This is tone nirvana...

12. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Chris,

Give me a call when you get a chance...I'll get you hooked up with the correct speaker for your cabinet at my cost.

I want you to hear the Mean Street with the correct speaker...it's mighty fine!

13. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

John,

Glad the amp is still doing it for you man!

I know your guitar playing amazes me every time I catch you with the band! :eek:

FOUR! :rockin

14. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I can attest to that. 1x12 CB, ported with Silver Series II speaker is a VERY good match with my Carol Ann Tucana (6550s). Huge sounding cab for sure, and sounds great.

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

What would be the difference between the Silver series II and the Silver series I?

16. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I really liked Jensens with my Pure 64. The Weber Blue dog ceramic was even better IF I only wanted crispy cleen vintage Fender cleans. Dirt got the fizzies.
    The original owner bought it back from me, so I never got a chance to try a quad of Celestion G12H30's which are great in my Egnaters.

BTW...the Blue dog doesn't get the fizzies with the Egnaters like the P64 did. Strange.