Pure 64

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, May 2, 2008.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

First impressions.

I bought one of the original run Pure 64 heads used about a month ago. It needed some repairs and Mark at Pure 64 offered fix it and to bring it up to current specs.

I just got the amp back from Mark today. I got home from work, took it out of the box, put it in my car along with the rest of my gear and headed off to band rehearsal (we gave a gig tomorrow night). I got to rehearsal, set up, plugged in and twiddled with knobs for about 30 seconds and we started playing. This is a VERY nice sounding amp! Zero flub (volume was at 3 oclock!), beautifully voiced, very nice feel (not too fast, not too slow), and it is the best one or two amps with pedals that I've ever played.

Nice work, Mark!! :BEER

A full review to follow once I've had more time with it...

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Noice! I've got one in the works, should be coming up pretty soon. Cant wait to hear it.

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Riff,
    Thanks for the update and I look forward to hearing your full review. I have one like yours and sent it back to Mark a while back and am experiencing the same thing, one of the two best amps I have played. His amps and customer service are truly amazing.
    Enjoy, Brad

4. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

:band Welcome to the club... great amp.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 - love my original 64!

6. dspblues

By the way, not sure what you have in there for tubes, but putting some good tubes in there will make it sound even better. ;)

7. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Riff...

Enjoy!

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Hey Pete,

This thread is worthless without clips! :YinYang

B

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

congrats on the amp. great amp, great guy!

10. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Mine got back to Mark about a week ago to be brought up to current specs.
    Also ordered some NOS tubes and had them sent up tp Mark.
    Can't wait to get this back and play it.
    Looking forward to your review.

11. riffmeister

I'm always slow to make clips (life at home on the weekends is deliberately quiet, more classical guitar than electric guitar)........but I will try! :)

I would say this, though, Dave.....the amp has a similar 'feel' as the UG30, takes pedals very well like the UG30, but has more clean headroom and more voicing options.

12. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations, Riffmeister on your currently speced original Pure 64.
    All of Marks amps are "Tone Machines"! They sound absolutely fabulous and just ooze with TONE...
    I am a proud owner of a Pure Sixty Four Mean Street, which just kills with various tone settings via Curve Switch.
    I recently put a NOS Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube and just got a matched pair NOS RCA 12AX7A grey plates pre amp tubes which I will install today.
    Mark is a great guy with Golden Ears for tone and a great heart and passion for what he does!
    Enjoy your Pure Sixty Four...

13. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Marks amps were one of the highlights of last year's NY amp show and as a result he is not even exhibiting this year. He's too back ordered to deal with it!.
    Mark's cool!

14. dspblues

Mark would be a great addition to the Tone advisory panel you run at these.

15. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Loni,

You have a great thing going with the amp show in NJ! You know, I feel really bad about not being able to pull together the time and the gear to make the show and especially for not being able to support such a great event.

I'm just swamped with stuff to do...not making excuses either because I probably shot myself in the foot in the long run by missing out this year!

To tell you the truth...I don't even have the time to build myself an amp to play and there are so many guy's waiting for amps, I can't let them down by giving up a month of my time to get ready for the show, when these guys have deposits here!

I would like to hire help to do what I do but it ain't going to happen...I need to be the guy who does this stuff or I'm afraid the amps won't be what I expect them to be and that is an even bigger kiss of death for a boutique builder.

I have Ron Ellis working with me on the west coast and I'm working on getting amps to Ron to demo at your show in the fall.

Doing the best I can Loni and thanks for all of the things you do to give builders a place to show their stuff!

Thanks again Loni!!!

16. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

Mark, sorry to hear you won't be there -

I was looking forward to hearing/trying your stuff out first hand. BUT - I'm "exceptionally" familiar with having more balls to juggle than hands to juggle with...;)

Glad to hear your finding success.
    Best Regards!
    Roger

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey riffmeister,

Have you got to spend any time playing the amp yet?

Jim

18. riffmeister

Jim, yes, I played it at a gig on Friday night. Mark also sent me a 1x12 cab to try, so I used that at the gig, too. The amp responded very well, just like the night before at rehearsal. But in the relatively small room where we played, I probably should have used an open back cab like I did at rehearsal, Mark's closed back 1x12 cab sounded too big at times. An open back cab has more dispersion and had I used one, I could have kept the amp pretty well cranked the way I did at rehearsal. In any event, the amp sounds really really good with pedals.....it holds together very well and has a great feel.....makes you really want to dig in on leads. The way I had the amp set up, I'd say the voice is BF Fender-inspired but with a bit sweeter top end and slightly more pronounced mids.

I still have not had time to sit down with the amp and really explore all the voicing options (curve switch, Meanstreet, bright switch, etc etc), but suffice to say, it is very easy to dial in for a great tone. I just set it up in about 30 seconds both nights and the amp sounded great.

The amp's fortes, I'd say, are its feel (not real percussive attack, but no flubbyness that some other more saggy amps I've played have had), and the way it just bonds with OD pedals, Fulldrive II in my case. All this in a compact package with small footprint and a very supportive designer/builder behind it.

I look forward to spending some more quality time with this amp....

19. riffmeister

So I had about 45 minutes by myself with the amp & 1x12 cab tonight. Very delicious tones all around. The cab sounds very smooth and much bigger than its small size might lead you to think. It's a closed back, front mounted speaker design with two cylindical ports on the baffle. Sounds pretty darn nice, I must say. And I would reiterate how great this amps sounds with pedals. Fits my style to a T......OD pedal off for clean to slight crunch, OD pedal on for excellent lead tones. Mark has done a lot of experimentation, and he's come up with a very fine recipe with this amp and cab.

20. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I am excited about my Mean Street. Can't wait to get it.