• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pure Nickel strings for my Strat?

pennylink

Which strings have the warmest/fattest high E and B, but with wound strings that are still quite snappy/twangy?

I've just put a set of (round core) Pyramid Nickel Clasics on, but find the warmth is most noticeable in the wound strings. Before that I used Elixir Nanoweb for a while, but although they last 'forever' the plain strings are way too bright for my liking.

What are Thomastik-Infield Blues Sliders like? Any flatwound strings I should try? I play blues and classic rock. Thanks :)

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
The bare (unwrapped) strings are all steel. Even when you buy pure nickle sets the unwrapped ones are steel. This fact is often overlooked when considering which strings to use.
Rob

chervokas

The bare (unwrapped) strings are all steel. Even when you buy pure nickle sets the unwrapped ones are steel. This fact is often overlooked when considering which strings to use.
Rob
Exactly. The unwrapped strings are going to sound pretty similar across the sets. I suppose there are different steel compositions among string manufactures and sets, but by and large unwound strings are unwound strings. FWIW among round core, pure nickel strings I found the Pyramids to be brighter than the DR Pure Blues, the latter of which also feel "softer" under the fingers, but don't last anywhere near as long as or maintain tuning stability of the Pyamids. You might try them.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Good old Gibson Vintage Reissues worked wonders for my Strat.
Not expensive and easy to get too especially if you buy sets online like from www.juststrings.com or others.

I usually pay about $6. a set.

Last edited:

BadJaxx

for decades i've wanted the same thing....
if there are any unwrapped strings that are made differently to be less bright, i'd sure like to know...
pups that angle towards the neck, or with split poles where the lighter strings' poles are closer to the neck...are things i've long pondered...
i try compensating in various ways with tone settings and pup height settings...
probably the best bet is using the unwrapped strings of a higher gauge set...
custom gauge sets are always reverse of this...Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom....i've never seen the opposite....
also never heard anybody else say anything like this...figured i was the only one...

Go Cat Go!!

I was using DR Blues until I discovered the GHS Burnished Nickel. They feel great under the fingers. I use them on all my strats.

sabby

Rob
Yep! I find modern strings to be warmer sounding because when I get the wound strings to sound how I like them, the plain strings -- those that are the most prone to ice-pick -- are less spikey.

Wildwind

Another vote for GHS Burnished Nickels, after years of playing DR Pure Blues. Best of all - Snake Oil vintage.

gtrdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
Higher guage plain strings. Someone told me Van Halen boils his strings in water for 10-15 minutes before putting them on his guitar for a warmer sound. Never tried it......

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Higher guage plain strings. Someone told me Van Halen boils his strings in water for 10-15 minutes before putting them on his guitar for a warmer sound. Never tried it......
I heard this was to revive them after they get a little dull ... I tried it once and it did work. I think he did this before he became a rock star.

changeling

i really kinda dig the dean markley jimi hendrix pure nickels,for everything.
check 'em out,they don't cost too much.

mertzy

About two years ago I went from Snake Oils to GHS Burnished Nickel, 10's on my 1964 Strat, and I'm not looking back. Very cheap on Juststrings or Musicians Friend.

61Ephramite

If it makes any difference at this point, another vote for GHS Burnished Nickel. Warm,
vintage tone without being dull.

randomhitz

Silver Supporting Member
I always think of d'addario unwound string as less bright than other plain strings so the D'addario pure nickels might be worth a try. I'm currently liking the Curt Mangan pure nickels.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still happy with DR Pure Blues 11s.
They sound great to me, feel great and last a long time.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Warm high strings, like they are old, but with none of the old string problems, and nice fresh, wound strings, or a pup or 2 that sounds like this. Where are they?
Such a marketing opportunity!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom