Pure Nickel Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny q, Dec 12, 2005.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

Well, after almost 20 years of using Ernie Ball regular slinky's, I decided to try Pure Nickel strings (Fender 150's) and find them much warmer sounding. Problem is, even though they are the same guage (.010's) as the Regular Slinky's, they are noticeably stiffer.

Can anyone suggest another brand? Pure nickel strings comparable in sound to the Fender 150's but not as stiff?? I guess I could always drop a guage to 009's, but I'm not crazy about that idea.

JQ

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I can't remember what they call them but I'm virtually certain that Ernie Ball makes a pure nickel string as well. You may want to start there.

You may also want to try Snake Oil Strings (do a search here). His pure nickel strings are great and last a long long time.

3. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

DR Pure Blues (pure nickel wrap) with the round core wire have a slinkier feel than the pure nickel strings that use a hex core wire. You might want to give those a shot if you like the tone of pure nickel strings but not the feel.

4. oxtone

oxtone Member

johnny q,

Try the Everly Music B-52's. They are made out of "Alloy 52", which is a Nickle/Iron alloy. I love these strings - best guitar strings I've used in 35 years of playing! They sound great right out of the box, and last a good, long time. I have never broken an Everly string, but have broken plenty of GHS, etc...

You can get them at: www.stringitup.com

Alloy 52 properties:
    NICKEL (NI) 50.5
    CHROMIUM(CR) 0.10
    MANGANESE(MN) 0.60
    SILICON (SI) 0.30
    CARBON (C) 0.05
    PHOSPHORUS (P) 0.025
    SULFUR (S) 0.025
    IRON BALANCE

Check 'em out!!! :AOK

5. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

Ernie Ball makes the exact set you like in pure nicke. they are called "Rock N Roll" vintage or something like that. you can get them on Musicians Friend.

6. Rich

Rich Member

On Pure Nickels-- All according to my personal fingers' experience, of course. You may differ.

The Ernie Classics are not really all that much "softer" than their nickel plated Slinkys or the Fenders Originals. A little bit.

To me, the DRs are very stiff feeling. Hated them. Ditto for the GHS.
    The Gibson Vintage Reissues are a little better I think.

Fender now makes a lower tension pure nickel. Dont recall their term for it. Maybe something like Normal Tension or Low Tension. Havent tried them.

Pyramids are lower tension. The Snake Oils are also pretty easy on the fingers and sound great (like you havent already read that a zillion times). I understand they're now making an even easier version called "slithers" to boot.

FWIW, my understanding is that the primary (not the only) driver of a given string's tension is the ratio of core wire diameter to wrap wire diameter. The heavier the core wire, the stiffer the string. Not that this tidbit helps in the search ;)

7. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Hrmmm.. I'll have to try those strings.. thanks for the suggestion

I currently use GHS burnished nickel roundwounds on my fender's and love the feel and the warm thick tone... much better than any of the fender strings (from my experience) which I spent years playing unfortunately

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/84902

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

dinrodef,

From the stringitup website:

"Everly's B-52 Rockers are made from a special magnetic alloy called "Alloy-52". The two great things about Alloy-52 are that it is incredibly resonant and very tarnish resistant. This means it will last a long time while still retaining its great sound."

I originally used Alloy 52 on Snarling Dogs "Nuclear Nickle" 10's, which were great strings. But, when Charlie Stringer died, they stopped making them. So, I did a search for Alloy 52 on Google, and found the Everly's. I also find the Everly's to be very stable, and they stay in tune better. Right now I have a set of D'Adderio's on, and I'm constantly having to tune them! I got a box of Everly's from stringitup the other day - they have great service! If you get some, let me know what you think of them.

9. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

DR pure blues are good. Right now I'm using snake oils (have been for about 6 months) and they sound as good as ever, tension is about the same at least for me.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

GHS Burnished nickel have an old school sound and bend easy.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Another vote for SOBs.

But the thing I like best about nickle strings is how easy they are on frets. I used high steel content strings in the 80s and ended up having all my guitars (except the acoustics) refretted. I know some players change the frets on brand new guitars, but to me, that's major surgery.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Yeah, the nickle wrap is definately easier on the frets, but that's only the wrapped strings. The top 3 strings (which most players bend the most) will wear the frets exactly the same. The downside is the nickle wrap will get grooves worn in it fairly quickly.

SOB's are very good and I've also found Vinci's to sound as good and last about as long. There is a definate difference in materials and construction with strings. Cheaper steel will fatigue and break much sooner.

13. landru64

landru64 Member

the sadowsky pure nickel strings are really great. tension is easy and i don't have to retune a lot. feel is really nice.